franciscusj

Ham

I will be smoking a leg of pork on my KK for Christmas after first brining it in a wet mixture, sugar, salt, vinegar and water.

I would like some advice please.

A. How do I get the brine to fully penetrate the leg?

B. Should I smoke with the skin off or on? 

C. Should I wrap the pork in muslin at the beginning or half way through?

• Like 1

The longer it stays in the brine the better the penetration. You could try injection of some sort after you remove from the brine for another flavor profile. Personally I would remove some of the skin and use a rub on those areas and leave some on in the area I felt would work with that covering. The wrap is subjective based upon the eye, it's progress, or what it's doing inside the KK and what you want it to look like. It should remain with the juice from a good brining but, wrapping in foil or paper is ok once a nice bark is present. Never wrapped anything in muslim cloth, I would think it acts as a wick and would draw away the juices. Anyway thats a start, an opinion and I'm sure others would approach the cook differently. Anyhow thats what makes it your signature because when it's all said and done your the only one there. Best of luck, you have a good tool to work with