tony b

New Japanese/German Hybrid Knives

One of my Kickstarter campaigns (and YES, it was a year over schedule, like most Kickstarters - but it did come through in the end!) - a guy making Japanese style knives in Germany. Well, after the very long wait, my knives arrived today - HURRAY! I have to say that they lived up to expectations - gorgeous and are amazing to work with! These will become part of my standard tool set for food preps. The paring knife was amazing cutting razor thin slivers of garlic and onions. The chef's knife has an exaggerated curvature, but it worked really well chopping herbs and veggies. The only last thing will be how well they hold an edge (very sharp right out of the box) and how easy to sharpen once starting to dull. 

1482990564_KickstarterKnives003.thumb.jpg.159b81c9a02a620ec42eba19fdc48ff1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I ordered 2 Japanese vegetable cleavers from  america’s Test Kitchen they were on sale for $69 apiece down from 95 they sent me two cases of them! Now I have over $800 worth of knives that I have to send back. They were rated the highest vegetable cleaver by ATK (see I’m learning lol). One for my daughter for Christmas and one for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'd say you have a thing for knives, too, Bruce, but I just go in for the cooking ones, not Weapons! My God, that black handled one on the left - what kind of wicked blade is that??

The knife company should be coming out of Kickstarter mode now that they have finally gotten all the rewards out (or will be done soon.) They made several kinds of knives (Chef's, Santoku, Nagiri and Paring) and different finishes of both blades and handles. They have a website, but it just has some pictures of the knives and a place to sign up for their newsletter.

https://www.nagasaki-knife.com/

Here's the kickstarter page where you can see all the knives.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/407096166/nagasaki-knife-collection-japanese-damascus-vg-10/description

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That black handeled one is a fantasy knife, made by a pretty famous knife maker. He told me he would never make another one because he cut his  hands badly while filing those hooks and points. It’s just a fun knife. I really havent collected any knives in years. Like you Tony I’m into kitchen knives now. 

Tony I went to the web site and like you said just a bunch of pictures. They are pretty knives though.

• Thanks 1

Impressive collection @Bruce Pearson!  My scaredy cat self hopes you keep them somewhere safe...

I too love kitchen knives and we had a big collection at one stage.  Like @tony b, the Husband and I ended up adding one cook's knife and one paring knife each to our collection a couple of Christmas' ago. They became our go-to knives and we have cut our collection right down to those four knives plus a great vegetable cleaver from the same maker. We also kept a bread knife, a filleting knife and a boning knife and got rid of all the rest of our knives.  Our guy's website is now way to cool for skool but here he is for those of you on this side of the waters:  https://blok-knives.co.uk  

• Like 2

Well, I did it again. Another Kickstarter knife set. Different guy, but the same idea - Japanese style knives made in Germany. He's only making paring knives, which is why I went for it, seeing as I have a bazillion Chef's knives already! They finally arrived yesterday. Sorry for the dirty cutting board. I didn't realize it was schmutzed until after I took the picture. Nice feel to them and they were pretty sharp right out of the box - paper test. I did give them a quick stroke on the steel and good to go! I didn't have the heart to dirty them yet, but soon! 

1230175388_NewParingKnives.thumb.jpg.427588760e35dec6f92fd142eb4f2f4d.jpg

• Like 6

Have any of the knife experts here used Old Hickory knives or any knife from The Ontario Knife Company?

https://www.knifeshopaustralia.com.au/old-hickory-7065-paring-knife-10-cm
I’ve been looking for 10 straight edged steak knives that I can keep sharp. It’s hard to find straight edged steak knives here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk