ckreef

Prime Grade Rotisserie PR

For Christmas I did a Rotisserie PR using @keeperovdeflame's method. 250* with no sear. Turned out fantastic and still had a nice crust even without a sear.

I started with a small bone in USDA Prime Grade rib roast that had the bones partially cut off and tied back on. It's always a bit scarey cooking a really expensive cut of meat especially when trying a new method but I trust keepers advice so I carried on with the plan. 

pr2.thumb.jpg.bf0658ec15c88518868bedd2eb40ef68.jpg

I tied it with a couple more strings mainly to get it a more uniform shape. I used A1 Thick and Zesty steak sauce as a binder then rubbed it down. 

pr3.thumb.jpg.43c8639fc28b854310b1331a65478011.jpg

Here it is loaded into the rotisserie basket. You can see the Meater + probe sticking out of the roast. 

pr4.thumb.jpg.d37c87bf6428f9550e8656b9474306bb.jpg

Happily spinning away in the 19" KK at 250*. This was the lowest temp I've ever run the rotisserie. You can see my semi indirect sizzle diffuser down below the roast. 

pr7.thumb.jpg.d59fd4bc26b271e9fd0b96c56253a63c.jpg

The Meater + worked really well. This was the exact application that drove me to fund the kickstarter. Once it goes for a while the time remaining algorithm was spot on. This allowed for really easy timing of when to put the side dishes on. 

pr1.thumb.jpg.0fa3ef7743f42588a12ecf5a7a64307c.jpg

Did a few side dishes on the Primo Oval Jr and 16" KK. Yup everyone needs more than one kamado. 

pr5.thumb.jpg.de22e7718ae66dc0e2cf44f35cbc623a.jpg

pr6.thumb.jpg.2bbffaed647ac7d3199b0d645577e714.jpg

Not the best money shot but it came out perfect and tasted fantastic. This will be my goto method for PR going forward. Thank you keeper for excellent advice. 

pr9.thumb.jpg.17344b3b06c71d59642036a85d6e9ea3.jpg

• Like 7

That turned out beautiful. I wouldn't have thought you could get that kind of crust running at that temp.

I really like the "time remaining" feature on that app. I was talking to someone yesterday about planning a major feast and getting everything done at the same time is the hardest part. That would be a big help.

That looks really good Charles.  I too like the "time remaining" feature and have taken to using the MEATER even when I am using the IDK oven.  Range not great but I use a second phone to overcome that.

True story: over the holidays I received one too many emails from the MEATER folk telling me how fast they could dispatch a range extended MEATER + in time for Christmas.  I could feel myself starting to foam at the mouth, angry about the fact that they still have not delivered the MEATER block that my brother ordered for me as a surprise LAST Christmas.  Made me smile to think I had contracted @ckreef's fury at the way this company sets its priorities. Oh well, you're happy now and I am sure I too will be...eventually.  

• Sad 1

Looks great Ckreef, always bringing the next step forward. Good for lazy guys like moi to see. I also spun a rib for Xmas and just used a instant read. I may have taken the temp a few times but never overshot my goal. The KK was already heat soaked and gave a quick time recovery on temp upon closing so any worry about the cook was diminished. The probe is a nice tool, someday I'll be there. Anyhow that looks fantastic.

Hang in there, tekobo. I'm surprised that they didn't make your brother the same offer that they made Charles about his Block - allowed to take earlier delivery of 2 MEATER + units instead?? But, since your brother ordered yours after the Kickstarter campaign, he (i.e., you) are at the back of the queue on deliveries of the Block, since the Kickstarter folks come first. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve M said:

That turned out beautiful. I wouldn't have thought you could get that kind of crust running at that temp.

I really like the "time remaining" feature on that app. I was talking to someone yesterday about planning a major feast and getting everything done at the same time is the hardest part. That would be a big help.

I too was a little leary about the crust running that low of a temperature. Keeperovdeflame is a long time member of Guru and a great cook. I took his advice and it turned out really good. 

The time remaining was awesome. I had the other two kamados cruzin along at the needed temp. When time remaining got to where I needed on went the sides. When the PR was done and while it was resting I pulled the sides and put them on the table. Everything done perfectly at the same time. I agree the timing of getting everything done at the same time is the hardest part and this made it fool proof. It almost felt like I was cheating, almost - LOL. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tekobo said:

That looks really good Charles.  I too like the "time remaining" feature and have taken to using the MEATER even when I am using the IDK oven.  Range not great but I use a second phone to overcome that.

True story: over the holidays I received one too many emails from the MEATER folk telling me how fast they could dispatch a range extended MEATER + in time for Christmas.  I could feel myself starting to foam at the mouth, angry about the fact that they still have not delivered the MEATER block that my brother ordered for me as a surprise LAST Christmas.  Made me smile to think I had contracted @ckreef's fury at the way this company sets its priorities. Oh well, you're happy now and I am sure I too will be...eventually.  

LOL - fortunately it has worked flawlessly the few times I've used it so the fury in me has calmed down a bit. I still don't like the company and how they are handling the kickstarter but they did produce a nice product. 

7 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Looks great Ckreef, always bringing the next step forward. Good for lazy guys like moi to see. I also spun a rib for Xmas and just used a instant read. I may have taken the temp a few times but never overshot my goal. The KK was already heat soaked and gave a quick time recovery on temp upon closing so any worry about the cook was diminished. The probe is a nice tool, someday I'll be there. Anyhow that looks fantastic.

I've used a push in meat thermometer in the past rotisserie cooks. This is just a bit easier. 

2 hours ago, Muzza said:

Looks great food. I'm trying to figure where is the motor or whatever turns the rotisserie. Got me stumped.

Cheers,

Kiwi Muz

The motor is mounted to the outside of the KK. There is a special bearing on the side of the KK. The small motor rod goes into the bearing from the outside. The rotisserie rod goes into the bearing from the inside. It's a great design but takes a little initial tweaking to get everything working right. 

prmotor.thumb.jpg.bac03444bf6c5813dae448511c2cb8cd.jpg

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

That turned out great love keeper of the flame cooks. I introduced him to lamb lollipops he has never looked back lol. They sell the probes down here .but can't justify the price. One probe goes for $159.00.

I knew I could trust keeperovdeflame's advice and he did not let me down with this one. 

23 hours ago, tony b said:

Hang in there, tekobo. I'm surprised that they didn't make your brother the same offer that they made Charles about his Block - allowed to take earlier delivery of 2 MEATER + units instead?? But, since your brother ordered yours after the Kickstarter campaign, he (i.e., you) are at the back of the queue on deliveries of the Block, since the Kickstarter folks come first. 

All cool.  My expectation is that we are at the back of the queue for the block.  I didn't want to swap for the MEATER + and so I have not pestered my brother at all.  It is a gift after all is said and done.  Here's hoping for a birthday surprise in February or, failing that, a Christmas 2019 surprise.  

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, tony b said:

I think that's it - those who ordered the Block during the Kickstarter got the the offer two Meater+'s.

My Meater Block has served me well since I got it a couple months ago, I'm glad I didn't take them up on the offer.

• Like 2

Just for grins, went online to check the price of a MEATER + to compare to Aussie's price and guess what? There's a competitor already - The Meat Stick. AND, they added on a WiFi extender to match the MEATER +'s range! I do see one difference is in the probe charger, theirs uses a USB cord and not a AA battery, but the extender uses 2 AA batteries. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9T4D5T

That didn't take long for a copycat to show up. One guess as to where they're made (hmmm, maybe the same factory as where MEATER was made??)

https://themeatstick.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so this has me re evaluating my prime rib cooking method.  The only time I tried a rotisserie I ran it at 350 which ended with a nice crust but there was so much gray band, it ruined it for me.  (everyone else loved it).  So I have always gone the reverse sear method since then... At about 225.  However, that crust does look nice.  It looks like you have something to catch the grease in the back, where the coals on the other side of your basket?  And running at 250, was the cook time shortened by using a rotisserie or did it not affect your cook time at all? 

9 hours ago, Shuley said:

Ok, so this has me re evaluating my prime rib cooking method.  The only time I tried a rotisserie I ran it at 350 which ended with a nice crust but there was so much gray band, it ruined it for me.  (everyone else loved it).  So I have always gone the reverse sear method since then... At about 225.  However, that crust does look nice.  It looks like you have something to catch the grease in the back, where the coals on the other side of your basket?  And running at 250, was the cook time shortened by using a rotisserie or did it not affect your cook time at all? 

If you look closely underneath the rotisserie basket is a infrared heat diffuser plate. It has valleys to catch the grease and little holes all along the peaks. This keeps most of the grease from getting down in the coals. It also diffuses the heat evenly across the entire basket and gives you more of a direct cook without any hot spots. I use that diffuser plate for all rotisserie cooks. 

I probably had a slightly shorter time due to the diffuser plate compared to just using a solid heat diffuser/drip pan.