BalconySmoken

Vent setting for 180 (350)

Hi,

i Used my new 23” today to cook some steaks; first I realised it takes a lot longer to get to temp than my old smoker, and secondly I was having a mad ass Guess at the vents which didn’t matter so much as I was aiming for pretty bloody hot (I like my steak still kicking). So today I had the top vent maybe 1/2 a turn open and the bottom vents open to the max and the slider thing slightly out. 

Tomorrow I have found a window to cook a chicken, but it has got me worried about wild guessing the vents. I dont want to get grief from the boss for a late dinner so will stat the cooker early - but it would be great if somebody could give me a tip of what vent settings I should try to start with to get me in the ball park of 180/350. What hole size in the bottom (I am guessing the vent with all the different sized holes will be enough air) and how much of a turn at the top 

I am undecided on using the heat deflector or just the pan ~ seems like some people do either option. Science tells me the drip pan is probably good enough as it is just deflecting the direct hot air to the sides and the radiant heat coming off the steel shouldn’t be too bad - but maybe it is at a higher cook temp? Maybe I could work it out with a calculator but that seems like too hard work for a weekend.

thanks for any tips

You’re right to start earlier, particularly with coco char. I love the stuff, but it’s a bit slower to catch. 

The lower vents can be a bit confusing, but with what you’re looking for, no problem. You can either open the half moon vent by about 1/4 open, or the other vent largest hole open, no need to pull the vent out at all. The real key to temp control here is the top vent. When you first light your fire, open the top vent a couple of turns to let your fire establish. Once you get to 250° ish, you can either close a bit at a time as temp increases, or set at about 1/2 open. Regardless, at these higher temps, +/-25° really doesn’t matter, just use your top vent to adjust temps, leave the bottom alone 

I’ve found that most temps can be achieved and maintained by mostly using the top vent...it’s a bit less confusing when you take the bottom out of the equation for the most part. 

• Like 2

Robert's advice is spot on.

Another suggestion for the chicken cook - cook direct on the upper grate, breast side up for about 30 minutes, then flip over, bump the temp up to 400F, for another 20 mins (until IT in the breast is 165F, thighs @ 175F), to get crispier skin. It might take a tad longer if the chicken is whole and not spatchcocked. 

Post pics of the final results!

• Like 1