ckreef

Konro SS Grate

Expandable, heavy duty, SS Grate that fits the Konro. Made out of 1/4" SS rods. I got it at Lowes. Here it is on my LG Konro. On a md Konro it basically covers the entire grill area. I would love to try it out today but have a pizza planned for the WFO. Next weekend I'll see if I can come up with something kewl to cook on it and will update this thread when I do. 

SSkonro3.thumb.jpg.93a7bb68ea41581979964bc29eb5aaf2.jpg

SSkonro1.thumb.jpg.a516b25bdbff3b88e6abfd54fd1432ae.jpg

SSkonro2.thumb.jpg.fa1a4e95525e712b85e32d297a20cb89.jpg

• Like 5

Hi there.  Have any of you tried this grate out yet?  I just looked on the char-broil website and it had some poor reviews.  Keen to get a back up grate for my konro on my trip to the US next month given the grates that they come with are no where near the quality of what we get in our KKs.  Thanks.    

First let me say I wouldn't put much stock in any reviews for either of these grates. Those buyers are using them as replacement grates for a gas or regular charcoal grill. They may or may not work for that application. We are using them for a very specific purpose that doesn't really relate to their use. 

Just a small cook on the Konro using the SS grate. A Bistro cut of meat and two U-6 shrimp (they were lounging around the freezer). It's 1/4" SS rods so you're never going to burn through it. It's heavy enough so it doesn't slide around like the stupid screens. While flipping the meat and shrimp it didn't slide at all. You do need to let it heat up a bit but at the temperature these Konros run at were only talking 2 or 3 minutes. I did use a paper towel to rub some oil on it just before the protein went on. Nothing sticked not even a little bit. An awesome SS grate for the Konro. I definitely recommend this upgrade.  

Note: This is sitting on a large 3 vent Konro. It would basically cover the entire cooking area on a md 2 vent Konro. 

Sort of crappy picture but you get the idea. 

kssA.thumb.jpg.4831117c0f0fe04e730e0c5a02edd7cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

When I check the Amazon.ca site the dimensions are not the same and the price is nearly $100, actually will be with be over that with the tax. Crazy.:(

I am puzzled by the fact that both Mac and @Pequod have hit such high prices on amazon.  I am hoping that I am looking at the right thing here at the Char-broil site: https://www.charbroil.com/universal-stainless-steel-grate  If so, it comes in at $29.99 in the US.  I could buy two and post one to you when I am in the US Mac!

Edited by tekobo
  • Thanks 1

Tekobo, that is such a generous and though-full offer and much appreciated. Thank you. It is inexpensive enough that if you send it as a gift there will not likely be any extra charges. When you find out he final cost, taxes. postage, etc. I will send you enough to cover it.  :) :) :) 

If it works out and is not a big problem for you that would be great but if it turns into a pain not to worry.

Edited by MacKenzie
MacKenzie

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

I am puzzled by the fact that both Mac and @Pequod have hit such high prices on amazon.  I am hoping that I am looking at the right thing here at the Char-broil site: https://www.charbroil.com/universal-stainless-steel-grate  If so, it comes in at $29.99 in the US.  I could buy two and post one to you when I am in the US Mac!

It comes up at $36 at Amazon...not quite outrageous, but over the list price. More a matter of principle than the $6.

Agreed re amazon pricing.  I tend to buy direct from companies when I can.  

No problem with getting you the grate as a gift Mac.  I won't be back on that side of the pond for at least a year and I will be sure to call on you when there is some item I must have sent over from Canada.  Now when is the next John Fluevog sale?  :smt026

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

That's the one. I think I paid the $29.99 at a local Lowes. 

• Thanks 1

I decided to take the 4 retaining "c" clips off. (pulled them off with a pair of pliars) Three reasons for this:

1) for our application they are not needed to hold it together. It'll stay together on it's own. 

2) way easier to clean the 3 individual parts. 

3) there's times when I'll probably do a mixed grate and skewer cook and will use the middle section by itself.

KonroSSapart.thumb.jpg.7fd5323a05f4c3897b28e9cb2eedd0bd.jpg

• Thanks 2