orthopod

Time to Move my 22" TT: HELP brainstorm

I got a 22 TT in metallic bronze and its beautiful. Rain has delayed our project seriously! We have a dingo or skid steer with forks. Will bring the pallet as close a possible. We have to then  get it moved from the pallet into the resting place, about 12 inches down, inside this stone enclosure

Planning on using the red straps and some 2x4s. 

can 4 guys move this thing? do i need a crane? NErvous about how heavy it is.

Yes this project is a MESS! Stone masons chipping stone make a ton of debris.

Im ready for the rain to stop

grillplace.jpg

grill place 2.jpg

grill place 3.jpg

grill place 4.jpg

• Like 1

If the stone masons aren't done yet with the ODK, I'd be worried that your brand new KK could get damaged during their work. I'd seriously consider a two-step move. Find a nice safe spot and uncrated it there and start using it until the majority of the work is done on the cabana; then move it to it's final home. Just sayin'

The stonemasons are still working on the fireplace. We then have carpenters that are going to finish the ceiling with Cypress. They’ll be large flag stone slabs on top of where the refrigerator is in around the smoker. We have to get it in place for them to finish some of the stonework. I was going to wrap it in U-Haul moving blankets

2 hours ago, orthopod said:

How do I remove the top?

Using the long t-handled allen wrench, loosen the 2 screws inside of the spring cover near the top (Don't completely remove them.) Then, slide out the cover from the screws to remove the cover off the spring in the back. Then, using the supplied socket wrench, remove the bolt from the bottom of the spring. Make sure the lid is closed and fully latched first! Remove the spring. On the hinge assembly, pull out the cotter pin out of the bolt. Then remove the bolt (you might have to use a hammer to gently tap the bolt out.) You can then unlatch the lid in the front and lift it off the grill. 

Re-installation is just the reverse of this process.

Other Forum Members - Did I leave anything out?? 

1 hour ago, 5698k said:

Ya didn’t say ya had power tools!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we had a choice of bobcat, Dingo (mini yard excavator/digger/etc) , or excavator. They are still doing MAJOR work in the yard due to all the rain.

We got the forks on the dingo , carried it to the pavers around the pool. The side of the house was too steep a slope and too muddy (its where all the machines enter and exit).

Then we used an old school Uhaul appliance dolly, being careful to to tilt too much.

Got it to the cabana, uncrated it, and removed the top (VERY VERY EASY, Much easier than a green egg).

3 men, with 2x4's, lifed it in place, then I assembled the top.

Im going to try and cook this weekend, then wrap it up in blankets to protect it. 

Its taller than I planned, and we are thinking about removing it and lowering it 5 inches. I started another thread

moving grill.jpg

movinggrill.jpg

grill3.jpg

Edited by orthopod
added pics
  • Like 2

HAHA. Felt like cheating until we had to lift in in place.

Now that its in place its WAY too high. The stone masons substituted an almost 5 inch thick piece of stone as the base instead of a 1/2 inch steel plate as spec'd. We are going to have to lower it to make it comfortable to grill. 

So now we have to lift it out. The red strap is KEY to moving this, as there are NO side handles. 

Will post pics in its final resting place

I need your help too.  I just got a Bronze 22' Hi cap and I'm place it in the picture attached.  Unfortunately, they poured my BBQ area with a depth of 31'.  The autocad dimensions mentions that it's 35' when open.  How important is it that it can open all the way?  Or should I just have it hang off the edge a little?1600236546_Kamadoblueprint.png.b099e9685f7835f09a05458c896a0243.png

10 hours ago, lemisfits said:

I need your help too.  I just got a Bronze 22' Hi cap and I'm place it in the picture attached.  Unfortunately, they poured my BBQ area with a depth of 31'.  The autocad dimensions mentions that it's 35' when open.  How important is it that it can open all the way?  Or should I just have it hang off the edge a little?1600236546_Kamadoblueprint.png.b099e9685f7835f09a05458c896a0243.png

The autocad does not lie. The lid tilts back and occupies space to the rear when fully open. You will find it incredibly inconvenient if you can't fully open the lid. 

Can't advise you on the "hang off the edge a little" part. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, lemisfits said:

How did you resolve your conundrum?  I am in a similar situation and am having my builder build the Komodo platform to protrude 6 inches out from the rest of the counter which will be the typical 30 inches.  I'm fine with the bump out since the platform will only be 12 inches high anyway.  Was either that or make the counter 36 inches deep, which would have caused all kinds of problems with aligning my vent hoods over the cooking surfaces.