orthopod

Time to Move my 22" TT: HELP brainstorm

1 hour ago, darksilkx said:

How did you resolve your conundrum?  I am in a similar situation and am having my builder build the Komodo platform to protrude 6 inches out from the rest of the counter which will be the typical 30 inches.  I'm fine with the bump out since the platform will only be 12 inches high anyway.  Was either that or make the counter 36 inches deep, which would have caused all kinds of problems with aligning my vent hoods over the cooking surfaces.

I think that there is no reasonable solution.  My KK sticks out from the ledge about 5 inches.  The problem is that my width might be too tight where I can't fit the Roti attachments.  My top doesn't open up completely, but big enough.  I would go back to the drawing board to make sure that everything would fit perfectly, which mine did not.

Cut the two walls on either side and move them back. The tool you need is rockwell oscillating side to side with a diamond tip or carbide. I do believe that's stone correct.  Support the back side obviously when you cut the bottom about 18 inches back and you may even be able to use this piece again for support further back if not a different matching look. As far as the cut is concerned  you can always find something to cover over it from end to end . The tool is nice and works well however, I haven't used it on stone but from what I see it looks like your rest is the bottom shelf for the cut and that's a plus.  You know once you cut that piece back and the piece is not useable it's not the end of the world, you can always find book ends to match on either side glued down. Thats what I'd do. Or do as Toney suggested, a wheel castered shelf  that would pull out to what you need and no more, you don't want it out extended, just for what you need.  Somethings gotta give, hey you get a new tool and they are quite useful when the situation presents itself. Oh, use some water to keep the cut cool if it's diamond, like a tile cutter, looks pretty thick. to me. And one last thing, if you lay a piece over the cut make it glued down to prevent the stub leg from popping through.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

A little more info does help. Unsure what a comfortable grilling surface is good for you as height is concerned. Placing 4 or 5 inch spacers that run along each side wall and then adding another flat on top would raise your KK and maybe the motor above the counter surface. My cooking height is 39 inches and I'm comfortable. If raising your KK for the motor to be above the counter surface doesn't work well, it's either cut somewhere or pull out. You won't ruin the look because you'll be creating another space for storage. This way you can remove the motor at your pleasure for storage. Check it out and raise it up and see if it's workable. Also the second shelf up would eliminate any overhang if you extend it out an inch or two

Edited by Tyrus