orthopod

Opinions: Grill height for 22 TT

We got our 22 TT moved in tonight. Im a bit worried about the ultimate height of the grill. Originally, the builder was going to sit on on stainless plates, but they used 4.5 inch thick stone. This raised it 4 inched higher than I originally planned.

The opening is about 4inches higher than elbow level. My wife is 5 feet tall, and she really feels like its way too high,

Here are some pics. 

What height is your table top grill, or grill? Do you wish it were taller or shorter? 

grill.jpg

grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

• Like 1

My 2 TT KK's dome opening is 42" high. That's a little lower than elbow for me and a little higher than elbow for Mrs skreef. A good compromise. We're happy with it. 

Sounds like yours might be a touch high. If the Mrs is not comfortable with it then she won't use it. That idea could be a positive or negative depending on your view point about the Mrs using the KK ;)

thanks for the input. The space below the grill was going to be a double door storage. If we drop the grill we will have to go with a shallower cabinet. 

My wife probably will NEVER use the grill. The top of the opening is about 3 inches below my elbow., the top grate position looks about 1 inch above the elbow.  A bit high, but I may live with it, if we can keep the storage. Im going to sleep on it. I worry about reaching in, 

edit: I just measured. The opening  of the bottom of the grill is about 48 inches high. I think JUST too tall. 

p

ut. 

Edited by orthopod

8 hours ago, orthopod said:

edit: I just measured. The opening  of the bottom of the grill is about 48 inches high. I think JUST too tall. 

My 42" seems just right for me (I'm 6'1"). If I added 6" to get to 48" it would seem like the main grate was a bit in my face. In comparison 34"-36" would be a bit low for my liking. 

Anyway if it was me I'd fix the issue now while the fix is relatively easy. If you wait until this is in a more finished state it might not be so easy to fix. 

Sounds like you had the height about right when you were planning for a steel plate. The cement slab is what made it unacceptable. 

Edited by ckreef

Comfort level is a negotiation between you and the Mrs for the height of the KK , maybe.  Who's doing most of the cooking?  You don't want to reach over uncomfortably to turn things over if the surface is too deep while at the same time you don't want to bend down.  At 6'3' I like things higher. You want something at the appropriate height for design and aesthetically pleasant.  Good luck bro

If your married like me and think your making the right decision,,, come tomorrow your moving the couch back to it;s original spot again because, it looks better there. You have a big open canvas there and quite a few decisions to make, hopefully one down  and 99 to go.  GO PATS