Jlipp79

Charcoal

36 minutes ago, Tucker said:

I did not realise they are just outside of Miami.

In GA if I order some today it will show up Tuesday or Wednesday. When ordering you really need to order in multiples of two bags or a single bag. If you order 3 they strap all three boxes together which I'm sure pisses the delivery guy off. My usual order is 2 LG  Black Bag and 1 bag of Marabu. Everything is individually boxed. They strap the 2 boxes of Black Bag together and ship the Marabu boxed seperatly. 

It's free shipping for 2+ bags and where you live should ship as fast as GA. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tucker said:

Thanks for the details.

I ordered one to try it

Don't freak out if you don't get shipping notification. Sometimes their web processing system is lacking but the lump will show up on your doorstep. Also with multiple items they will ship them independently so sometimes part of your order will show up one day and the other part the next day. 

7 minutes ago, tony b said:

You suckered me in, too, Charles! Just ordered a bag of Quebracho, Eucalyptus and Marabu. Hope that I like them better than the Super Premium mega-chunks! 

Never ordered the first 2 but the Marabu is a bitch to light. It's an awesome alternative for the Konro but I light it in a chimney. Fire starter, thin layer of RO them fill the rest of the chimney with Marabu.  (didn't we have this conversation before? My memory is fading - LOL) 

If you liked the Super Premium just not the size try the Premium Black Bag. Same lump but reasonably sized pieces. 

On 2/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Tucker said:

When you get the charcoal shipped, does it get banged up and turned into smalls?

Not my experience, shipping to California.

Shipping five reams of laser printer paper to New York City? Good luck with that. It often takes three or four tries. I consider this an AI probe, does Amazon or Staples have any self-awareness? As far as I can tell, neither can fog the proverbial mirror.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ckreef said:

Never ordered the first 2 but the Marabu is a bitch to light.

I generally light charcoal with a propane weed burner. I learned this watching Jiarby light up at a competition long ago, with a rig that crossed Ghostbusters with Commando.

If propane isn't doing it for people, try MAPP gas. It burns hotter. For sweating copper pipes, it's like landing a jet rather than a prop plane. I don't get enough practice (I'm a dilettante at every handyman skill) so I stick to propane, which works well enough on every Fogo charcoal I've tried.

As I learned from Dennis, fires need air more than heat, once they're lit. There's the trusty hair dryer. I prefer a leaf blower. You could need goggles; what's that barbecue saying?

"If you ain't glowing, you ain't blowing!"

M18 FUEL Blower Kit

• Haha 2

This MAPP torch/weedburner works great - extends easily down into the basket while you stay comfortably away from the sparks. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZA0F

And if you don't have electricity nearby for the hairdryer, this battery-powered one works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5FS7HA

Update: I have been slowly going through the Fogo that I ordered a couple of months ago. Opened one of the boxes and was surprised to see that the charcoal was from Cuba! I had forgotten the Marabu was from there. 

2073042698_cubancharcoal.thumb.jpg.833a0894512c57fb882a33ba438768d7.jpg

Now I'm eager to finish off the bag of the Quebracho so I can try this one! With my luck, I'll fall in love with it and we won't be able to get more (it's out of stock now) because of the current sour relationship between our countries. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Update: I have been slowly going through the Fogo that I ordered a couple of months ago. Opened one of the boxes and was surprised to see that the charcoal was from Cuba! I had forgotten the Marabu was from there. 

2073042698_cubancharcoal.thumb.jpg.833a0894512c57fb882a33ba438768d7.jpg

Now I'm eager to finish off the bag of the Quebracho so I can try this one! With my luck, I'll fall in love with it and we won't be able to get more (it's out of stock now) because of the current sour relationship between our countries. 

I just called Fogo. Nothing to do with the relationship between the US and Cuba. They are just out of stock. Last time they were out of stock it took about 6 weeks to restock. No worries I have about 5 bags out in the shed :)

I did use it for a low-n-slow butt yesterday. Took a few extra minutes to get going but was a nice stable cook in the end. No extra smoke from the lump. When it comes back in stock I'll get back on my once a week buying spree. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Glad to hear that it's not caught up in the silly politics between our countries. 

I've worried about that ever since Trump took office. Hasn't affected it yet. Fingers crossed :)

But I won't take any more chances. Konro only (except vacation at my sister's house) until I can start buying more..