BalconySmoken

Smoked chocolate raspberry cheesecake

I love cheesecake! When I was living in Austin I was given a generous slice of a blueberry smoked cheesecake from a friends smokehouse restaurant in Blanco. So I thought I would give something a crack. I had a heap of raspberries in the freezer that I needed to get rid of (somebody has filled the freezer with meat!).

I used this recipe (times 2): https://letsdishrecipes.com/2018/06/white-chocolate-raspberry-swirl-cheesecake.html

for the grill setup:I used the temperature as described in the recipe, I made a foil pouch of applewood chips, and put a pan of water on the heat deflector. Cakes were on the top grate.

all was going well until my foil pouch had some sort of critical failure: a heap of smoke came out all at once and not the gentlesmoke I was aiming for.after the cook I discovered the foil had disintegrated so all the chips must have lit up rather than smouldered. 

The cake tasted sensational, although it was a little bitter on the top which I assume was from the smoke explosion. Luckily it wasn’t overly bitter- I just would have preferred a softer smoker flavour. Next time I will double down on the foil!

so tips for Singaporean’s and other non American residents:

half and half is just half milk and half cooking cream (the runny stuff - not thick or whipping cream, just plane old cream. And don’t go light - you aren’t making cake to loose weight; go for a run)

if in Singapore, buy all your stuff at Phoon Huat or other as it is heaps cheaper than the supermarket for the ingredients (I use the one at Holland village)

13580771-6447-483E-84A5-B8594BD6A9B0.jpeg

9B790028-FE8B-4DF6-ADA4-4363CDED1825.jpeg

EA332B93-19DC-43ED-9E12-1F1D5EA5AF4A.jpeg

14EB1C26-9FD8-4FCA-8215-1F1FF7E98577.jpeg

• Like 5

Fantastic looking cheesecake. Me and Mrs skreef has made them numerous times in the KK. Cheesecake is one of those things that will soak up a bunch of smoke. Next time try using regular lump (not Coco char) without any chips. Most lumps give off a little smoke flavor which will probably be enough to give the cheesecake a kiss of smoke. 

• Thanks 1