Tyrus

A Diamond in the rough

I came across this artifact while scouring this second hand store looking for gems that may fit into the look I'm trying to capture for my new smoker pavilion.  I see everyone going plush and modern with their outside areas however, I like and prefer the woodsy backyard look with a little rust. So here it is, an old fashion hand made cooler made from pine wood and galvanized sheet metal. It even came with a nice rusty coke sign. I almost died and went to heaven. The idea came from Aussie's venture out into the bush at a cookout in a remote area of snakes, lizards and old buildings about. Of course this project will require some restoration, the previous owner must have left it in a damp and wet cellar and the legs have rotted at the bottom and that paint color is two fingers in the throat.  Just needs a little life breathed into it, to bring it to it's former glory.  It  now sits in the garage but it's at the top of the to do list and dripping with potential.  $35  

DSCF2250.JPG

DSCF2251.JPG

DSCF2252.JPG

• Like 7

I'm thinking it will clean up without a problem Tekebo and for any possible leaking that can be handled easily with some bathroom caulk. Sorry Bonfire, I also thought the sign was a significant find but, I believe it is just a good rusty newer addition.The piece does have good bones and for the ones that have to be replaced below are within repair. Overall it's something complete, wish it could talk.

• Like 1

The sign may not be original to the cooler but from the pictures the sign itself looks old. If the sign is original the sign itself would be worth way more than what you paid for the whole thing. 

Yea I've done a bit of searching for antique Coca Cola items and they are definitely not cheap. 

While we are talking about old Coca-Cola items........ I had a small wall area in the game room that would fit an old vintage Coca-Cola thermometer. Every one I came across was in rusty crappy condition for $75 - $100.

One day I was at a small, private, Coca-Cola advertising museum. Very small museum in an antique mall - just a museum, nothing for sale. I got talking to the museum owner complimenting him on his Coca-Cola advertising collection and what I was trying to find for my game room. He then sold me this early 1950's Coca-Cola thermometer in great condition for $35. Very little rust or wear but the thermometer is cracked. Fortunately you can buy a replacement thermometer for a few dollars on the web. 

You just never know what you can find if you look carefully and talk to the right person. 

cctemp1.thumb.jpg.6d6b351e34ebc80edd520a2d0ebf8354.jpg

• Like 7

The bottle opener was given to me by a friend, not sure of age, and the clock was hanging on a wall in a delicatessen that my parents bought in the mid-seventies.....long as its got a batteryIMG_1132.thumb.JPG.4232ba1b7acb2ea27a552f76073a5e63.JPG works fine.IMG_1131.thumb.JPG.3dd0779b6627faa9dad5f592bc0892b1.JPG
I have one of those I got from a vending machine. Will have to find it. It's buried somewhere

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

I came across this artifact while scouring this second hand store looking for gems that may fit into the look I'm trying to capture for my new smoker pavilion.  I see everyone going plush and modern with their outside areas however, I like and prefer the woodsy backyard look with a little rust. So here it is, an old fashion hand made cooler made from pine wood and galvanized sheet metal. It even came with a nice rusty coke sign. I almost died and went to heaven. The idea came from Aussie's venture out into the bush at a cookout in a remote area of snakes, lizards and old buildings about. Of course this project will require some restoration, the previous owner must have left it in a damp and wet cellar and the legs have rotted at the bottom and that paint color is two fingers in the throat.  Just needs a little life breathed into it, to bring it to it's former glory.  It  now sits in the garage but it's at the top of the to do list and dripping with potential.  $35  
DSCF2250.thumb.JPG.e704602f4f64636cd1a0f0e0e7c288d5.JPG
DSCF2251.thumb.JPG.a0f3ab74aa5eca16274ce2cc1ad11f6a.JPG
DSCF2252.thumb.JPG.08cb9f70f746b872950bc5f3522cf3fb.JPG
Great find mate I'm sure it will spruce up good.or you could send it to .http://www.ricksrestorations.com

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Seems there are quite a few that appreciate a good piece of treasure and find reason to repurpose them. I think a good wash is 1st with the power washer to get a better look especially within the cavity and then the legs would have to be cut, pegged and glued because of the extensive rot.  I would like to replace the legs altogether but, I am unsure how they are fastened and if those secure points are behind the galvanized inner box as they appear to be. A seam showing the extension is not a first choice no matter how fine. Anyhow it looks to be a tricky endeavor, will post in the spring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve M said:

I really like that old vintage stuff. 

I've done quite a bit of woodworking but no restoration.  I think you're on the right track with cutting the bottoms off the legs and replacing using dowels/glue. 

If not that a half lap with glue and a few screws or a set of shoes to sit in may suffice. 

While rummaging through a few old boxes I found these. The cooler had a old Samuel Adams opener on the left.  Yours with the white backdrop is unique, I have one new still in the box with original screws and an old used one. Thought I'd show you and may I mention a nice clock also.

DSCF2253.JPG

• Like 4

The weather broke and rose to 50 degrees so I thought I'd clean out the inside and give it a second assessment. Well one thing turned into another and I ended taking the tub out because I wanted to see what was behind it as far as insulation was concerned. Didn't think anything was there when I tapped on the wall but a hollow sound. The reveal showed otherwise with styrafoam as a liner. The wooden top structure was screwed down but came up way too easy showing alot of dry and weak wood. Biscuit joinery was employed holding the sides and legs together so that being said,,,it's just easier to replace anything in question, it's all apart anyhow. 

DSCF2261.JPG

• Like 2

So it is done. The piece had to be taken completely apart, re:drilled with new larger biscuits, and the legs were trashed, then replaced with new stock. The color scheme was changed and handles were added  for bar towels and to easily aid in transport with two people, then a couple of new/old signs were added. Bottle openers were placed on every corner and the inside was cleaned throughout. That tank on the inside was first described as galvanized steel but when it wouldn't hold a magnet it turned out to be solid copper with a tin covering. The soldering covering all the exposed edges were so well done and waterproof  no repairs were needed. Backyard furniture that will serve a purpose. While that was going on I um, made a brother to keep it company. This is a cooking table for cast iron made from wood and covered with a 1/8 or 3/16 in sheet of bronze on the top. Generally you find them made simply all from metal but I happened across some marinite board and used that as a heat shield under the bronze. Any wood contact with the bronze was insulated with woven glass gasket covering. Marinite board is a product looking similar to gypsum board but it is a calcium silicate. The similarities stop at appearence because a 4x8 sheet of this runs around $750.  No worry, I acquired it from a trustworthy source for change. When I showed my wife the addition she replied, "What a nice bar."  Well, I thought ok, a bar and a cooking surface. I have plenty of marinite, so a piece will be cut to protect the bronze surface when cooking is needed and removed to act as a bar otherwise. Backyard furniture with some technical additions.

DSCF2327.JPG

DSCF2325.JPG

DSCF2330.JPG

DSCF2334.JPG

DSCF2336.JPG

DSCF2337.JPG

• Like 6