Tyrus

A Diamond in the rough

A small journey unlike yours Steve. I do have a small pavilion in progress....and will reveal it's simplicity if I ever get it done. An open area with room to expand  and engineered to last through the deepest fog. lol   and yes the stock, soon as the weather climbs above 80  

• Like 2

Well thank you Ckreef, unfortunately I find the older things falling by the wayside, maybe unnoticed, that's ok. So it's name is Beti not to be confused with the newer model Yeti. $55 total and a little sweat equity, works for me

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Tyrus said:

So it is done. The piece had to be taken completely apart, re:drilled with new larger biscuits, and the legs were trashed, then replaced with new stock. The color scheme was changed and handles were added  for bar towels and to easily aid in transport with two people, then a couple of new/old signs were added. Bottle openers were placed on every corner and the inside was cleaned throughout. That tank on the inside was first described as galvanized steel but when it wouldn't hold a magnet it turned out to be solid copper with a tin covering. The soldering covering all the exposed edges were so well done and waterproof  no repairs were needed. Backyard furniture that will serve a purpose. While that was going on I um, made a brother to keep it company. This is a cooking table for cast iron made from wood and covered with a 1/8 or 3/16 in sheet of bronze on the top. Generally you find them made simply all from metal but I happened across some marinite board and used that as a heat shield under the bronze. Any wood contact with the bronze was insulated with woven glass gasket covering. Marinite board is a product looking similar to gypsum board but it is a calcium silicate. The similarities stop at appearence because a 4x8 sheet of this runs around $750.  No worry, I acquired it from a trustworthy source for change. When I showed my wife the addition she replied, "What a nice bar."  Well, I thought ok, a bar and a cooking surface. I have plenty of marinite, so a piece will be cut to protect the bronze surface when cooking is needed and removed to act as a bar otherwise. Backyard furniture with some technical additions.

DSCF2327.JPG

DSCF2325.JPG

DSCF2330.JPG

DSCF2334.JPG

DSCF2336.JPG

DSCF2337.JPG

Looking great @Tyrus.  I would ask you to put this into a sports bet in the hope of acquiring it and getting it to the UK - in a heartbeat.  What are you using the cast iron pot for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First, let me say nice to hear from you Tekebo, I thought by now you and the Hubby would be speaking Italian and enjoying a cappuccino by a seaside villa, so is the word. A bet,,,, what if I lost?  I think I would have to shackle it to my back and take the chance by swimming across the pond rather than pay the outrageous postage or freight which demands a pint a blood or your first male child, no gender reference intended, it's a historical reference. The cast iron pot is for comfort food, chilli, beef stew, ribs of a different occasion, bread, veggies, desserts and so much more. Our KK's are so useful yet, I look for alternatives as anyone does to find a way to do things differently, just as you when you entertain, and put out dishes that leave your guests waiting for their next return. Confession, the motif on the bronze table should be turned 180 degrees, it was supposed to be a bowtie and well,  my dyslexia comes to fruition at the end of the day after some pints have been consumed.  Have a nice trip, and I'm looking forward to the collaboration of your neighbor [Mr.B] and you, on food recipes from AFRICA.  Does sound yummy, maybe it'll lead to a series on the tele'.  This year we will bet,,,, and loosing is not an option.  Bon Voyage, don't forget the cork puller.

Edited by Tyrus

Do you think? Really. At first I thought a bow tie was akin to the butler serving your guests, a kind of bridge between you and your guests...the table that is. So my wife looked at it and saw a Martini glass double sided and called it a nice bar. For me, if I just turned it, it would serve a dual purpose. To you it looks like an hour glass, I guess your right, ya know I nailed that with brads and probably glued it ta boot, maybe, will just let it rest,,,it's for the best.

Of bowties and things.  Just waking up in Padova @Tyrus.  Verdict on last night's pizzas (we went to two recommended places and shared a pizza in each) was that they are not as good as we make them (to our taste obviously) on the KK at home.  The seafood fritto misto snack that we had for lunch was fab though.  Won't subject you to swimming across the Atlantic when you lose our bet this year.  Will work out a lighter wager that you can afford to send without harming your first born child.  No African cooks on my mind at the moment but I think your cast iron pot will do well for a nice slow cooked black eyed bean dish.  I normally resort to my pressure cooker these days but there must be some fun ways to use the KK to add smoke and taste in a similar way to open fires back home.  Will experiment.  Just need to wait for @Braai-Q to set up our thread.  In the meantime, you enjoy that bow-tie Martini.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Just need to wait for @Braai-Q to set up our thread.  In the meantime, you enjoy that bow-tie Martini.  

Well, I'm not sure where to put it. @tony b asked @ckreef to setup a new section of some sort. The reality is that the cuisine type would straddle multiple meats and for reading purposes, might make more sense to have an 'African KK' than putting African recipes under each of the respective sections where the 'genre' might become a bit dislocated and less interesting.

If you've got suggestions for where to start it @tekobo, I'm all ears! 😎

3 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Well, I'm not sure where to put it. @tony b asked @ckreef to setup a new section of some sort. The reality is that the cuisine type would straddle multiple meats and for reading purposes, might make more sense to have an 'African KK' than putting African recipes under each of the respective sections where the 'genre' might become a bit dislocated and less interesting.

If you've got suggestions for where to start it @tekobo, I'm all ears! 😎

I wasn't really sure what @tony bwas asking. Setting up a new section would require @DennisLinkletter. I'm all for an African recipe section.

Looking through the various categories, there is not an obvious place to put an African recipe section.  Keen also that African recipes are cooked by all, not just those who are African given it was @tony b and @Pequod who contributed most to the advancement of the Nigerian suya thread.  Up to @DennisLinkletter to decide if there is a sensible place to showcase African inspired cooks.  In the meantime we could agree to tag such recipes with the word "African" so that they are easily found by others who are interested.  Does that sound OK or do others have a better idea?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tekobo said:

Looking through the various categories, there is not an obvious place to put an African recipe section.  Keen also that African recipes are cooked by all, not just those who are African given it was @tony b and @Pequod who contributed most to the advancement of the Nigerian suya thread.  Up to @DennisLinkletter to decide if there is a sensible place to showcase African inspired cooks.  In the meantime we could agree to tag such recipes with the word "African" so that they are easily found by others who are interested.  Does that sound OK or do others have a better idea?

It might make sense to have a category under 'Recipes & Cooking Techniques', entitled 'Regional & National Cuisine' or have it as an 'Inspiration' section with messages appearing under the board as 'African Cuisine', 'Southern Cuisine'. Starter for 10.

• Like 1

Yes, please...it's cooking season, post haste. I had an Ethiopian Berbere that I mixed with a number of spices and placed it on chicken to brighten it up. That's one warm spice and I found very little on it as how to use it on the web. Intimidating.  Your venture will require time and effort and I'm sure the both of you work  and have responsibilities, that being said I for one appreciate the effort. Tekebo, I picked up that gauntlet you so carelessly dropped on floor and considered it's merit. If it is to your liking, please consider as an opener the team with the best season record and IF your team makes it to the playoffs, will cross that next bridge, as it would be appropriate again to re:negotiate. For me I have work to do now, unlike some that sit on the dock of the bay and watch the tide roll away. lol

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I'm liking calling it "Home Style" - so you can showcase recipes from wherever you call "Home." 

I guess living in bum f*&# nowhere GA, USA my contributions could be shrimp and grits, and fried green tomatoes - LOL 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ckreef said:

I guess living in bum f*&# nowhere GA, USA my contributions could be shrimp and grits, and fried green tomatoes - LOL 

Honey, that's as Down Home as it gets for me! Toss in some peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream and we're in hog heaven!

• Haha 1