BalconySmoken

Year of the pig: first covert low and slow: RIBs

So I have finally had the chance to get into the meat I brought back from home. The wife wanted pork ribs so I was able to deliver 

AD8CD6FD-AE8A-4235-A33D-50CD2AF42FE6.thumb.jpeg.71443036ab3135dc6341055b74eb7d61.jpegfirst step is obviously some home made bbq sauce. After I lived in Texas I prefer the “no sauce no forks” policy, but I need to make the boss happy which will hopefully prevent any further sh#t burger incidents 

D8AB06E6-6421-4E69-B6F1-E05F4D70576C.thumb.jpeg.687243fec188e8639eb37fb0f83477ff.jpegE6703FF9-CC4A-4A72-B9F4-CE5B070DC8B6.thumb.jpeg.2b557aaff85ae727c79b0784cc3565a5.jpegI made a mesquite smoke burrito

15826E81-EB9C-4BCB-AEEA-E719789A8823.thumb.jpeg.421666f847a6eb4e063e29c9eb472d80.jpegI tried out this wild cherry rub. I dry brined it for a few hours before this.

3FFD672D-6C20-4075-B2C4-AAEAF0E7D62F.thumb.jpeg.003ac5ea869c6d5711da6c2b1d7321f1.jpegcooktime was about 4.5 hours at 225 ~ looking pretty good now

2AB4BE8A-8AF5-411E-9D6A-43074E0C03E1.thumb.jpeg.27620f2b6abea6f70361bce947c2d5ae.jpegpaired it with my daughters favourite spuds (mash made with butter, cream, salt and chives) and a token salad with ranch

67D5390A-2C46-4037-AEDE-BC3FF56ACC65.thumb.jpeg.0d33aec531d99f2ef395b3adbe996616.jpegit was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. Sh#t burger is now a distant memory.

“Gong hei fat choy” everybody

4266E97F-13AD-496F-A0EF-4D7E3208A580.thumb.jpeg.ac024ca9ee2bbf3b79bd9a65ace8eb4c.jpeglook at the goodness again

Edited by BalconySmoken
  • Like 8

Also I forgot to add: security came up to my condo to complain about something (some BS about my dog)  during the smoke but I didn’t let them come completely in. They didn’t suspect a thing and the air was thick with goodness at that point. The condo smokehouse is going to be all right I think

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BalconySmoken said:

security came up to my condo to complain about something (some BS about my dog)  during the smoke but I didn’t let them come completely in.

Good thinking. They would probably have tried to confiscate the ribs (at least I would have) if you had let them near...

Ribs look terrific. Half a foot of snow here so will have to thaw out some vac-sealed ribs from the freezer if I am to have ribs anytime soon.

14 hours ago, BalconySmoken said:

D8AB06E6-6421-4E69-B6F1-E05F4D70576C.thumb.jpeg.687243fec188e8639eb37fb0f83477ff.jpegE6703FF9-CC4A-4A72-B9F4-CE5B070DC8B6.thumb.jpeg.2b557aaff85ae727c79b0784cc3565a5.jpeg

I made a mesquite smoke burrito

May I suggest a different design?

One of the reasons to foil pouch your chips is to force the initial bitter acrid "gas" that is released from the wood down into the burning charcoal to get burned off and get cleaned up.

When wood is heated the first volatile organic compounds released are gasses.. this is why you have a flame over a log in your fireplace. The hot gas raises up, mixed with the available air, when the fuel air mixture is correct it bursts into flame.  If there is not enough air to burn as a flame it creates a thick grey/white/yellowish vapor/smoke with very large sticky droplets. This is the smoke that burns your eyes (imagine alcohol mist) and sticks to your hair and clothes making you smell like a forest fire.. This is NOT the material you want condensing on your food. It is absolutely bitter and acrid.  My hypothesis is that most back yard chefs mistakenly use this smoke.. I base this on how ridiculously sweet, loaded high fructose corn syrup most commercial BBQ sauces are.  If you mix bitter acrid with ridiculously sweet you get a "tangy BBQ flavor".  Nothing I want to eat..

if you make a pouch and put just 3 or 4 holes dead center and place it facedown in the hottest part of your burning charcoal.. this will force all the gas down into the heat hopefully burning off most of this nasty gas leaving you only with the secondary vapor with has the clean flavor you are looking for..  I roll a doubled up sheet of foil into a cone, fill with wood, fold over the top sealing in the wood, then tear off the bottom of the cone. I then carefully open a hole in the burning charcoal and carefully drop in the cone.. this gets the gas even deeper into the burn zone.

Or you can purchase the KK Hot/Cold smoker which uses an aquarium pump to create vacuum which keeps the wood smoldering.. when smoldering it never gets the wood hot enough to turn the wood alcohol to vapor.. it just burns slowly as it makes contact with the burning area.  Dripped cast iron pots work too..

• Like 2

May I suggest a different design?
One of the reasons to foil pouch your chips is to force the initial bitter acrid "gas" that is released from the wood down into the burning charcoal to get burned off and get cleaned up.
When wood is heated the first volatile organic compounds released are gasses.. this is why you have a flame over a log in your fireplace. The hot gas raises up, mixed with the available air, when the fuel air mixture is correct it bursts into flame.  If there is not enough air to burn as a flame it creates a thick grey/white/yellowish vapor/smoke with very large sticky droplets. This is the smoke that burns your eyes (imagine alcohol mist) and sticks to your hair and clothes making you smell like a forest fire.. This is NOT the material you want condensing on your food. It is absolutely bitter and acrid.  My hypothesis is that most back yard chefs mistakenly use this smoke.. I base this on how ridiculously sweet, loaded high fructose corn syrup most commercial BBQ sauces are.  If you mix bitter acrid with ridiculously sweet you get a "tangy BBQ flavor".  Nothing I want to eat..

if you make a pouch and put just 3 or 4 holes dead center and place it facedown in the hottest part of your burning charcoal.. this will force all the gas down into the heat hopefully burning off most of this nasty gas leaving you only with the secondary vapor with has the clean flavor you are looking for..  I roll a doubled up sheet of foil into a cone, fill with wood, fold over the top sealing in the wood, then tear off the bottom of the cone. I then carefully open a hole in the burning charcoal and carefully drop in the cone.. this gets the gas even deeper into the burn zone.

Or you can purchase the KK Hot/Cold smoker which uses an aquarium pump to create vacuum which keeps the wood smoldering.. when smoldering it never gets the wood hot enough to turn the wood alcohol to vapor.. it just burns slowly as it makes contact with the burning area.  Dripped cast iron pots work too..

Thanks Dennis - those instructions are very clear: I think you suggested that to me before but I got confused on where to make the holes; sorted now for this coming weekend!
I am in the process of purchasing the smoke accessory; just waiting on the final details from your team, I have the shipping cost but need the total amount so I can pay you! (I was planning on following that up today actually!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have both - Dennis' smoker and a cast iron dutch oven smoker pot. I made the smoker pot long before Dennis developed the cold smoker attachment. I find each has their own applications, so it wouldn't hurt to ditch the aluminum foil pouch for the cast iron dutch oven smoker pot - IMHO. 

• Like 1