BalconySmoken

Instructions for use for the cold/hot smoke accessory

On 3/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tyrus said:

Why not lay some pellets or chips on some foil in your KK as your in the pre -heating process? I have seen people using offsets laying wood on top of the fire box and using pre]-burnt wood in an adjacent fire to keep clean smoke going. Theory's the same, lowering the Kindling temp or auto ignition temp is what your after for a continuous burn. That's my two cents, just a thought

I've done that before but you only get a limited amount of smoke. The cold/hot smoker will keep the smoke coming for hours on end with very little if any tweaking. 

Nice read folks,

I have a question about cleaning the cold smoker hopper. We smoke allot of ocean fish and have just got a new big bad 32 with the cold smoker attachment.  Fantastic!

my question: do you have to remove the bolts and the entire unit to get the ashes out? 
On the bottom of the unit has a cylindrical cap that twists off but I’m not sure what it’s function is? Once the cap is removed, there is another plate that is continuous with the mounting bracket. But there is no holes in this to allow ashes to drop down into the base cap. Do you really have to remove the entire unit to clean? and what’s the purpose of the base cap?

Thanks so much. 

Excido

I have found it works best to disassemble the unit and soak it in Powdered Brewers Wash overnight. Others may differ on the need for complete disassembly, but it doesn't take long and the wood chips or pellets are resinous so I like to get the residue knocked down before it gets stuck.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Do you leave the smoker connected to the KK, or should it be removed when not smoking with it?

I don't and wouldn't recommend doing it either for 3 reasons - 1) most importantly, it's going to mess with your airflow and top vent settings, even if it's not running. Air will be pulled through the side holes into the KK. 2) it's just in the way sticking out and you could damage the KK if you (or the dog) accidentally bump into it. and 3) your cover probably won't fit over the KK with it in place?? (DNK for sure, as I've never tried to put my cover on with the smoker in place?)

3 minutes ago, tony b said:

I don't and wouldn't recommend doing it either for 3 reasons - 1) most importantly, it's going to mess with your airflow and top vent settings, even if it's not running. Air will be pulled through the side holes into the KK. 2) it's just in the way sticking out and you could damage the KK if you (or the dog) accidentally bump into it. and 3) your cover probably won't fit over the KK with it in place?? (DNK for sure, as I've never tried to put my cover on with the smoker in place?)

Tony, thanks for the fast response!  All valid points.  I'll take it off until ready for use.

• Thanks 1