ckreef

New Cazuela Dishes

Here are my 2 new Cazuela Dishes. Handmade in Breda Spain. Glazed inside and out (except the bottom). They are 9.5" which seems like a perfect size for me and Mrs skreef. Although I bought them to mainly use in the WFO I'm sure they will see the inside of my kamados from time to time. What I won't do is use them on the stove as that seems where most people have problems with them cracking. Will get them "seasoned" this week and will hopefully try them out next weekend. 

caz95a.thumb.jpg.06f230f761552bdee010ef856cf3410f.jpg

This is my original Cazuela dish I got last spring with my WFO. Handmade in Portugal. I love the dish. At 10"x14" a Spatchcocked chicken fits nicely. Unfortunately it is a little big for what me and Mrs skreef cook most of the time which is why I bought the 2 round ones. 

caz1014a.thumb.jpg.d60a607fb4b2e07de9a9c6bb1b302244.jpg

Here is a little quote (if anyone is interested) from the website where I bought the 2 round ones. 

https://www.tienda.com

"Cazuelas, terra cotta dishes, have been used in Spain for literally thousands of years. Our cazuelas are unique in that they are made by potters who follow a Roman formula that has been employed for centuries in this area of Spain.

Although terra cotta is nothing more complicated than moistened clay, low fired with an interior glaze so it can hold liquids, this particular technique that they follow involves including small pebbles in the mix which strengthens the bowl and increases its heat retention. La Tienda is the only source for this high quality cazuela in America.

The glaze on the cazuela is perfectly safe for all applications -- it contains no lead."

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

@ckreef  How do you season them??

Well dang I was supposed to soak one of the dishes this morning but was running late and totally forgot. I guess there is always tomorrow. The procedure from the La Tienda website:

"How to Cure Your New Cazuela for Cooking:

If you are planning on cooking with your cazuela, you will need to soak and cure it using the following directions.

Soak the entire dish in water to cover for 12 hours. Drain and wipe dry. Rub the unglazed bottom with a cut clove of garlic (we are not sure how the garlic works, but why argue with tradition?) Fill the dish with water to 1/2 inch below the rim, then add 1/2 cup of vinegar. Place the dish on a flame-tamer over low heat and slowly bring the water to a boil (no flame tamer? Crumple a sheet of aluminum foil and create a ring that you place over your burner to create about an inch of space between the heat and the cazuela).

Let the liquid boil down until only about 1/2 cup remains. Cool slowly and wash. Your cazuela is ready for use - the garlic has created a seal. This technique has been used since the Middle Ages. It seasons the pot, kills bacteria and hardens the unglazed parts.

Alternate method:

Especially if you intend to use the cazuela to cook strong flavored fish or seafood, after soaking, rub the inside of the base with olive oil and put into a preheated 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off the heat and let cool. Either method will strengthen your cazuela.

To clean, soak in sudsy water and scrub with a soft brush to remove any hardened food.

If you have not used the cazuela for an extended period of time, you may need to re-cure it before use."

I have 2 of these that I got for "free" - they came with the chorizo. I use mine on the KK all the time. Didn't know the trick about the garlic clove on the bottom, but I've not had any issues with mine, plus being free, I've not sweated them cracking.

https://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/chorizos-caseros-16-oz-with-free-9-clay-casserole.html

You can buy them, too and they come in various sizes. They also have cheaper paella pans.

https://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/paelleras-pans.html

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 11:51 PM, ckreef said:

What I won't do is use them on the stove as that seems where most people have problems with them cracking

The main reason I bought my first cazuela was to use it on the stove.  A traditional Spanish recipe, bacalao al pil pil, requires you to continuously rotate the cazuela to get your salt cod and oil to form an emulsion.  You jig the cazuela gently, round and round on the heat for 20 minutes or more.  I know it sounds nuts but it is one of those magical kitchen events, watching this wonderful mayonaisse-like sauce emerge from two ingredients - fish and oil.  And it tastes great.  

• Like 2