Pequod

Software Defined Espresso

42 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

If you HAD to choose a machine with a hopper(where I’d add the beans each day) do you have a preference in the higher end models? Keeping simplicity in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not right off, mostly because I've never looked at them closely. I suspect the Breville you're looking at would work well, and you already have a backup grinder if the built in one doesn't do it. Just accept the fact you'll be dropping $5k on a higher end machine a few years from now. :grin:

This is so funny.  I am not sure whether it would be a good or a bad idea to show The Husband this thread.  When the commercial coffee man came to plumb in my husband's coffee set up, they got into a conversation about extraction rates.  Apparently, when they started discussing fractions of seconds my husband said "I'm not anal about it or anything".  The coffee man looked at husband, looked at kit and said, "that ship has sailed".  I don't know what will happen if I show him this thread.  He might be happy to find someone more obsessed than him or, oh no, he may try to fit even more kit into his coffee corner!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tekobo said:

This is so funny.  I am not sure whether it would be a good or a bad idea to show The Husband this thread.  When the commercial coffee man came to plumb in my husband's coffee set up, they got into a conversation about extraction rates.  Apparently, when they started discussing fractions of seconds my husband said "I'm not anal about it or anything".  The coffee man looked at husband, looked at kit and said, "that ship has sailed".  I don't know what will happen if I show him this thread.  He might be happy to find someone more obsessed than him or, oh no, he may try to fit even more kit into his coffee corner!!

I like to think of it not as being anal, but putting your geek credentials on display for all to see. I mean...coffee waveforms...how Geeky Cool is that? I can design my own flow profiles and test the results in the cup. The recovering fluid dynamicist in me is downright giddy. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Pequod and Tekobo i got the book Tartine arriving any hour so I can start trying to bake some bread. If it’s not bbq, pizza, coffee, etc...it’ll be something else. Lol

Once you start milling your own flour and have bought a proofing box, you’ll have officially gone off the deep end. :headbang:

60EEFB2D-B12A-440C-94E1-511191DDC436.thumb.jpeg.02e289c2c56e3f2e06e3cde485713bb8.jpeg

1C0F537F-36E8-4459-B22F-ED06E2AED4D7.thumb.jpeg.719b9fc51c7262fd5ca63c900b5731a8.jpeg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pequod said:

I like to think of it not as being anal, but putting your geek credentials on display for all to see. I mean...coffee waveforms...how Geeky Cool is that? I can design my own flow profiles and test the results in the cup. The recovering fluid dynamicist in me is downright giddy. 

And it gives you geeky folks lots to talk about, eh?  Here still suffering from jetlag from trip to the US.  Our first stop was Portland and I can't tell you how many coffee shops this non-coffee drinker had to go into. Some served alchohol so all was not lost.  There was one coffee shop with a long bar and about ten coffee making thingies all along the bar.  We hadn't seen that many in busy Italian cafes and could not work out the logic.  Husband thought they might each be set up for different blends. Boy, did he ever underestimate a place.  Main reason for the multiple heads was to be able to make the coffee directly in front of each customer.  And then each one had three pre-sets for different requirements and more if you wanted.  All accessible by whacking a lever to the left.  I know more than I need to.  Like I said, good thing there was alchohol and that they were willing to serve it to me first thing in the morning.

49 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Pequod and Tekobo i got the book Tartine arriving any hour so I can start trying to bake some bread. If it’s not bbq, pizza, coffee, etc...it’ll be something else. Lol

I think our obsessions keep us off the street and places like this forum help us maintain a facade of normality to the rest of the world.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I feel so inadequate with my $150 espresso machine especially after checking the price of the DE1PRO..... Eeeekkk.........

But that's okay after I add a shot of Jameson, Kahlua and  Baileys who can tell the difference anyway. Besides how else does one drink espresso? ;)

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Now c'mon, y'all. BBQ (:snorting:) and coffee go together like bread and butter. Y'all have gone the extra mile to own the finest of grills (some of you crazies own MORE than one KK...guilty as charged!). Why would you settle for swill (:eew:) in your cup?? Just sayin'...  :grin:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

I feel so inadequate with my $150 espresso machine especially after checking the price of the DE1PRO..... Eeeekkk.........

The DE1PRO is actually in the "mid-range" in terms of price. I had been considering a Londinium R (over $3k...Brexit hasn't helped me on this) or Profitec Pro 800 (nearly $3k). Since the DE1PRO can emulate levers, decided to go with that...although it isn't quite as nice looking.

At the super high end...a Slayer is nearly $10k last I checked. 

Or I could just go to Starbucks. :eew: :pukeright:

15 hours ago, tekobo said:

Like I said, good thing there was alchohol and that they were willing to serve it to me first thing in the morning.

Amen to that, Sister! :drinkers:

Portland has some amazing breweries, too. Plus, the donuts! Blue Star, all the way! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:
2 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:
That profitec 300 does look sweet. Let me research that a bit.

I am waiting for the Profitec Pro 700 to land in Canada.

That's another machine I had my eye on.  :thumbup: 

• Like 1