Pequod

Software Defined Espresso

14 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Argh...just saw my tax situation under the new tax laws. I’ll be selling my grill instead of buying an espresso machine. emoji51.pngemoji23.png.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar “surprise”. Bought the machine anyway. :-D

2 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

Argh...just saw my tax situation under the new tax laws. I’ll be selling my grill instead of buying an espresso machine. emoji51.pngemoji23.png.

Don't know what your talking about up in Canada but I sure hope they are not taxing you on grills you already own. 

I had fallen in love with espresso while living in Milano in the early 80's.  Was never able to find espresso in the US to match.  After speaking to a few members on the forum I decided to start making my own. My slippery slope started on this forum with advice to start manually.. Got a Orphan Espresso Pharos grinder and a  La Pavoni Stradivari both purchased on Ebay slightly used.  I made a lotta bad espresso and built a lot of arm strength before getting decent results.. But I did create the magic I was looking for..  Next thing I knew I was down the rabbit hole and had purchased a Brugnetti commercial spring lever, it's a heat exchange machine same design as a Londinium and a Monolith Titan Flat burr single dosing grinder.  That slope lead to my even roasting my own beans with a simple plate roaster but I have to say with the help of a Brewista Smart Scale I can pull awesome shots... 

Brugnetti.jpg

Monilith Grinder.jpg

• Like 3

Yup...that's my next grinder right there. Monolith Flat. 

Been playing around with the different flow profiles on the DE1. Pretty darn cool so far. I can see where this is going to lead. I'm going to end up with an optimal profile for each bean. Redbird looks like it likes a constant flow profile of around 1.5 ml/s so far...

I haven't gone down the roasting rabbit hole yet. Resisting that urge.

Just pulled this shot. This was a flow profile for 1.5 ml/s (dotted blue line is the target) with preinfusion. Overshot where I’d want to be on the pressure by a bit, so this tells me to loosen the grind a tad. But the results in the cup are fantastic!

9A1108FE-D81E-4E48-8797-DE883A6085C7.thumb.jpeg.25ec00d98f0225697974f963001151ca.jpeg

951CF372-182A-4407-8243-115A9990C9A1.thumb.jpeg.8c4b247fc8051e3c00d4ddf9edad8890.jpeg

• Like 2

Diet Pepsi........... 2 - 20 oz. bottles.......$3.00 at the gas station.   :grin:    I'm sorry but that 'mud" can't be good for you!!!!!!!!!  :shock:

@sfdrew28........  Do NOT move to New York.  Our governor just added a new tax to our electric bills to try to make up the 2 billion short fall because all the rich people are moving out.  

• Sad 2

I hear you. Last comment on this because I feel taxes can fall under politics and this is a cooking forum.
I live in Cal and we lost our deduction(like NY)of writing off our state taxes.
I’m paying federal tax on money that I never received because the state took it as taxes. It’s so wrong.

I’ll just have to wait on my espresso machine. It’s no joke as what I have to pay is twice as much as my worst case scenario.

• Sad 1

On 2/28/2019 at 11:35 PM, tekobo said:

This is so funny.  I am not sure whether it would be a good or a bad idea to show The Husband this thread.  When the commercial coffee man came to plumb in my husband's coffee set up, they got into a conversation about extraction rates.  Apparently, when they started discussing fractions of seconds my husband said "I'm not anal about it or anything".  The coffee man looked at husband, looked at kit and said, "that ship has sailed".  I don't know what will happen if I show him this thread.  He might be happy to find someone more obsessed than him or, oh no, he may try to fit even more kit into his coffee corner!!

Hello all.  This is "The Husband".  I have zero KKs, although I enjoy a lot of great food from the 2 I bought for Tekobo's significant birthday a year and a bit ago.  I also love the vicarious enjoyment of following the adventures of a bunch of people who care deeply about getting it right.

Now the subject has switched to coffee I feel I can join in...so here we go:  I love my morning coffee and I am also quite keen on my afternoon coffee; evening coffee doesn't work so well now I have reached semi-advanced years.  My personal benchmark that I strive to reproduce at home is that cappuccino that is served in a not-too-smart marketplace cafe in Italy but somehow just hits the spot. I am getting good but nowhere near expert yet.  

I buy my beans from HasBean (https://www.hasbean.co.uk) where owners Steve and Rowland go out of their way to ensure a good deal for the producers and deliver superb and varied single estate coffee.; I get through about 1kg of beans a month (friends know where to come for a cup but Tekobo doesn't drink the stuff!).  I upgraded a few years ago to the setup that "The Wife" describes being plumbed in by Ieuan "the Coffee Man" in her post above.  I went for a Rocket R58 espresso machine and a Mazzer Mini Electronic Grinder.  As happens with these things, it was then necessary to buy a commercial stainless bench to set the things on and run a water line with filter from the basement.  Photo attached:

I am still very much a student in the art of the perfect espresso shot.  Why is it that the first one in the morning is always so "tight" and comes out like a ristretto? What do I need to do to my tamping technique to be able to use the bottomless portafilter without spraying coffee all over the surrounding area?

I am a happy boy and I have to say that having different but complementary obsessions helps to keep "The Husband" and "The Wife" sane and content.  I am looking forward to when the posts move on to wine, cocktails and home technology - I believe I have plenty to contribute in those areas!

Pequod - I am loving how you managed to score a direct hit in the coffee and technology intersection in the Venn diagram of "good things"!!

Cheers!

IMG_3808.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I am looking forward to when the posts move on to wine, cocktails and home technology - I believe I have plenty to contribute in those areas!

We talk quite a bit on here about all things "adult beverage," so jump right into the conversation whenever it suits you! 

• Like 2

I am not convinced that it is a good idea that The Husband should start to post here but he is, technically, an owner.  And he won't seek to undermine @Pequod's coffee thread.  Unlike me. 

@tony b I don't drink beer but did sample some really good cider in Portland.  It was a lovely city for food and people.  If that this the product of their "weird" then long live weird!

• Like 3