Pequod

Software Defined Espresso

was going to buy Green egg 4 years ago too.  Then my wife found the KK online and, well you know what happens next..  :-)

Quite interestingly if first heard about the Niche Zero on this forum quite a while ago.  I've been curious ever since and after looking at the price/performance ratios implied on commercial burr grinders, it really seemed like a no-brainer.  Can't have Stellar coffee without Stellar beans and a stellar grinder!  Next will be the espresso Machine.  Looking seriously at Clive Coffee in Portland, Oregon.  They have a machine that seems to hit all the right notes.  Once I get the grinder, I will have one shipped down for an audition.  Will keep you posted on my progress.

would certainly enjoy reading any comments one might post to help enlighten me on the journey toward a balanced coffee system:

https://clivecoffee.com/products/lucca-m58-espresso-machine-by-quick-mill

• Like 2

I kept thinking about the Niche Zero but ended up recently getting a Eureka Specialita instead, which was a great improvement over my legacy Baratza Preciso. I was equally concerned about overall size and counter space once I got into the better (albeit not best) class of grinders.

My various kitchen toys were already pushing the envelope on counter space...

• Like 1

There seems to be a common thread here.  We like really nice things, and we are all addicts.  I bought the Vesuvius machine,  looks great but have had some problems.  Customer support was fantastic and got both issues fixed.  The pressure profiling is what got me to go over the top.  And love the Ceado E375 Grinder.

My Biggest concern now is what else I will find on this forum that I can't live without.

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2Club said:

There seems to be a common thread here.  We like really nice things, and we are all addicts.  I bought the Vesuvius machine,  looks great but have had some problems.  Customer support was fantastic and got both issues fixed.  The pressure profiling is what got me to go over the top.  And love the Ceado E375 Grinder.

My Biggest concern now is what else I will find on this forum that I can't live without.

That’s easy and happy to be of service. You need a grain mill. Fresh milled flour has been a game changer in my baking. The flavour (that’s “flavor” for ‘muricans) difference is an eye opener. Fresh milled whole wheat, rye, spelt, corn (corn bread and polenta!), etc. just can’t be beat. It’s like grinding your own spices from whole seeds and berries vs. the grocery store sawdust.

You doubt? A demonstration:

6D89E4F6-0076-42B2-B0DB-3FFA973EC42A.thumb.jpeg.fbf4303b21c7fe8368ae9f41600c6f00.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1

Update:

IMG_1443.HEICIMG_1443.HEICEspresso machine has landed and I will say that the Niche Zero is more than adequate to the task.  My Lucca M58v2 seems pretty similar to the Profitec Pro 700 (the Lucca M58 v2 is a custom build for Clive Coffee from the Italian Company QuickMill).  Both are Dual Boiler, PID controlled machines, the biggest difference I could see was the Profitec Pro 700 uses knobs for Steam and hot water where the M58v2 uses joysticks.  

So the Nice Zero can grind amazing coffee for pour over and espresso with a well indexed dial that allows you to move from one coffee brewing technique to the other effortlessly, maintaining your precise grinds for each!  Nearly zero retention means that after a grind or two, you will find that 20g's in means 20g's +/- .1g out.

Can easily grind so fine that NO SHOT will come from the machine!  Probably the same with other high end grinders but I was surprised!  

The Espresso learning curve remains somewhat a work in progress for me, but I will say that it sure beats going to my local 3rd wave coffee shop for anything other than freshly roasted beans.  I think I will leave the roasting to the experts for now.  Mac, did you ever get that Profitec Pro 700? I'm sure that you could spend a lot more money and not get any better performance as a home barista making a cup or two a day.  I think anything more capable will really blur the lines between personal and commercial.  I don't need (or want) commercial personally, but the coffee sure is good!

• Like 2

Update:

IMG_1443.HEICIMG_1443.HEICEspresso machine has landed and I will say that the Niche Zero is more than adequate to the task.  My Lucca M58v2 seems pretty similar to the Profitec Pro 700 (the Lucca M58 v2 is a custom build for Clive Coffee from the Italian Company QuickMill).  Both are Dual Boiler, PID controlled machines, the biggest difference I could see was the Profitec Pro 700 uses knobs for Steam and hot water where the M58v2 uses joysticks.  
So the Nice Zero can grind amazing coffee for pour over and espresso with a well indexed dial that allows you to move from one coffee brewing technique to the other effortlessly, maintaining your precise grinds for each!  Nearly zero retention means that after a grind or two, you will find that 20g's in means 20g's +/- .1g out.
Can easily grind so fine that NO SHOT will come from the machine!  Probably the same with other high end grinders but I was surprised!  
The Espresso learning curve remains somewhat a work in progress for me, but I will say that it sure beats going to my local 3rd wave coffee shop for anything other than freshly roasted beans.  I think I will leave the roasting to the experts for now.  Mac, did you ever get that Profitec Pro 700? I'm sure that you could spend a lot more money and not get any better performance as a home barista making a cup or two a day.  I think anything more capable will really blur the lines between personal and commercial.  I don't need (or want) commercial personally, but the coffee sure is good!

I love Clive Coffee; great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, Lannoos said:

Yes, I now have my Profitec Pro 700 and am enjoying espresso like never before. I ordered a Caeado E37S, on April 8th and I am still waiting for it's arrival. :shock: :(  I do expect it very soon though. 

Lannoos, very nice setup you have.:smt060

Edited by MacKenzie

I’m glad I don’t drink coffee never have and probably never will, if it tasted as good as it smells maybe. Give me a diet coke or Pepsi any day it’s the nectar of the Gods. And I bet a coke machine would be a lot cheaper lol. In reality I hardly drink either anymore I prefer water as my beverage of choice. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I’m glad I don’t drink coffee never have and probably never will, if it tasted as good as it smells maybe. Give me a diet coke or Pepsi any day it’s the nectar of the Gods. And I bet a coke machine would be a lot cheaper lol. In reality I hardly drink either anymore I prefer water as my beverage of choice. 

Get behind me, Satan!

• Haha 2