Pequod

Software Defined Espresso

Decided to upgrade my espresso game and went with the Decent Espresso DE1PRO. It uses the software on the tablet to design custom flow/pressure/temperature profiles which then control a unique water heating, pumping, and mixing system to achieve the design profile. It comes with several preset profiles that emulate other machines or are designed for particular results (e.g. milk drinks, straight espresso). But the real power is in designing your own, or downloading one somebody else created. An extensible library of profiles.

Two pics. One has better lighting for the machine itself. The other better shows the tablet.

1F8A8411-528A-45C3-AD90-FF2D64D8E806.thumb.jpeg.a72f13c949d9a23e5c77eff9ffcaa8be.jpeg

DDB1A4CA-A8C9-4B34-ADC8-D7F4490BA3E9.thumb.jpeg.04c1a12fc31229db2ffcabf02823deb3.jpeg

Engineers will get the reference to “software-defined”, as in software defined radios. Very similar concept in which The radio can generate just about any waveform you program it to. The profiles here are the same thing...coffee waveforms. Cool, eh? 8)

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

Decided to upgrade my espresso game and went with the Decent Espresso DE1PRO. It uses the software on the tablet to design custom flow/pressure/temperature profiles which then control a unique water heating, pumping, and mixing system to achieve the design profile. It comes with several preset profiles that emulate other machines or are designed for particular results (e.g. milk drinks, straight espresso). But the real power is in designing your own, or downloading one somebody else created. An extensible library of profiles.

Two pics. One has better lighting for the machine itself. The other better shows the tablet.

1F8A8411-528A-45C3-AD90-FF2D64D8E806.thumb.jpeg.a72f13c949d9a23e5c77eff9ffcaa8be.jpeg

DDB1A4CA-A8C9-4B34-ADC8-D7F4490BA3E9.thumb.jpeg.04c1a12fc31229db2ffcabf02823deb3.jpeg

Engineers will get the reference to “software-defined”, as in software defined radios. Very similar concept in which The radio can generate just about any waveform you program it to. The profiles here are the same thing...coffee waveforms. Cool, eh? 8)

I had no idea but I should have known... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

Wow...I’m looking to get an espresso machine but I’m trying to cut down on my screen time. emoji23.png.

I also have the wife saying no due to counter space. I told her she can put whatever she wants in her domain the laundry room emoji51.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nice thing about the DE machines is that they are very compact relative to most. But if you’ve never done espresso before, start with a Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia

12 hours ago, Pequod said:

Cool, eh? 8)

Yes, very!!!!!      After seeing this post...................I'm glad I don't drink coffee/espresso!!!!!!   I might even have to buy the extended warranty for that machine!!!  

Off to get a Diet Pepsi out the the vending machine :-D

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Yes, very!!!!!      After seeing this post...................I'm glad I don't drink coffee/espresso!!!!!!   I might even have to buy the extended warranty for that machine!!!  

Off to get a Diet Pepsi out the the vending machine :-D

I opted for the pro model, which is a tad more expensive, but has high end components for continuous, high volume, commercial use. 

And yes... coffee has health benefits. Diet Pepsi not so much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

I was looking at one of the Breville models. Sounds like you’ve got a lot of experience on this topic. I will look at the names you provided. Thanks!

A Breville Double Boiler would be a good choice.

Pair that with a Baratza Sette 270 grinder and you'll be in good shape. 

Edited by Pequod

Just now, sfdrew28 said:

That’s nice! Although I think I want something with a bean hopper. I’m so confused. The breville oracle touch seems nice and might be easier for the wife to use.

NO! No hopper. Keep your beans fresh until ready to use. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

The hopper would hold some beans. I’m looking at a machine that grinds them just at brew time. Am I missing something?

Yes. Keep your grinder and espresso machine separate. The rule of thumb is that the grinder is more important than the machine. You'll likely upgrade over time, and you'll find the grinder is likely upgraded much more frequently than the machine. If you combine in one unit, you are locked in. 

Keep your beans as fresh as possible by keeping oxygen away from them. Do not store in a hopper. I keep small amounts of mine in an airscape container and then dose by weight to the tenth of a gram, grinding one dose at a time. The Orphan Espresso Pharos is excellent.  I also have a Kinu M47 for brewed coffee (can also grind espresso). The Sette 270 is a decent single dosing grinder. I'm eying a Kafatek Monolith Flat as my next grinder. 

Pequod, I hear what you’re saying but my reality my collide with my family’s reality.
My wife loves pour over coffee but hates making it. I replaced a keurig which was garbage to me but served the purpose for my wife.
We have a 1 and a 2 year old running us ragged.
If I convince her to get one it’ll have to be something very user friendly for someone who doesn’t cook or care about the detail of brewing the best cup of coffee.
I hope it doesn’t come across as my wife doesn’t care because she does. I have every toy I’ve ever wanted so I also think it’d be nice to get her something she may love too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Pequod, I hear what you’re saying but my reality my collide with my family’s reality.
My wife loves pour over coffee but hates making it. I replaced a keurig which was garbage to me but served the purpose for my wife.
We have a 1 and a 2 year old running us ragged.
If I convince her to get one it’ll have to be something very user friendly for someone who doesn’t cook or care about the detail of brewing the best cup of coffee.
I hope it doesn’t come across as my wife doesn’t care because she does. I have every toy I’ve ever wanted so I also think it’d be nice to get her something she may love too.

Got it. Gotta match your lifestyle for sure. Just be prepared. Espresso is a bit finicky and a slippery slope. You think you can just get by...and the next thing you know you're buying a $3,000 grinder. We bought a "just get by" $200 grinder with our Gaggia. It was upgraded in less than a month...just couldn't dial in a shot. Great espresso is great. Unfortunately, it's hard to make. Bad shots are very easy. Just fair warning.

Have you considered a nice pourover or Chemex setup? Much easier, cheaper, and more error tolerant than espresso. If espresso is brisket, pourover is pulled pork in terms of ease to achieve great results. 

• Like 1

I was trying to post photos here today but I’m having issues. I use the chemex method every morning. I have the $200 Baratza Virtuoso grinder which testers said worked as well as the very expensive ones. Not sure if u believe that but it’s working well.
I was looking to use the espresso as my late morning/afternoon pick up.