El Pescador

When life gives you lemons...

Karma at work! You were meant to have a BB 32. Can't wait to see the pics when it arrives. You are going to be flabbergasted at how different a KK is from the BGE in both construction quality and in the food quality coming off it. Welcome to the Obsession!!

• Like 1

tekobo - I went with the matte black squares (which I think is sexy as all get up) and added the basics - basket splitter, stainless side tables, grate grabbers and a cover.  Some of the other goodies will have to wait for Fathers' Day!\

MacKenzie - pics for sure.  After all, how many other times do you end up with some gigantic crate in your driveway or back yard?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, El Pescador said:

Some of the other goodies will have to wait for Fathers' Day!

Awesome.  Dennis churns out fun stuff so there will always be something to drop hints about.  I don't think I have seen a black KK32, should be great.  Looking forward to some fish cookery from the pescador!

ckreef - I wish I could blame it on the kids, the dog or a belt too many.  Caffeine (or a lack thereof - it was early on a Monday morning), may have played a role, but the sad truth is that it was totally operator error.  I cut the left turn too close and rolled over an old plastic drain grate in the patio.  The drain cover gave way under the weight of the Egg and that was all she wrote. You can see the hole in the patio beneath the caster in the photo.

Needless to say, I don't plan on rolling the Big Bad around too much, but plan to replace all the plastic drain grates with brass, just in case!!

• Like 1

lemons.thumb.jpg.855e621cfafee9c2912c1cf3cea3bf98.jpg

Lemons? Did someone say lemons?

To speak up for the 23" Ultimate, I've fed 80 multiple times from my 23" Ultimate (six pork butts). The 32" to me looks bigger than I need. The 23" Ultimate will look huge, coming from what broke.

I'm also a programmer, like a few others of us here. Programming languages is the extreme case for asking for comparisons. Unless the person weighing in has extensive experience with both options, and the creative-destructive temperament to annihilate both prejudices and habits, curious to see what their Ouija board unconscious then chooses, their preference only reveals their state of mental health. One should be happy with one's choices. People often are.

I'm happy with my 23" Ultimate. I can't make a comparison with a 32". I also have a small Weber, which I'll use on occasion to finish sous-vide steak, as a way to conserve use of the best lump charcoal I can find. That has largely ceased after buying a basket splitter for my 23" KK, which serves the same conservation purpose. Others here also own Japanese robata grills, and sometimes use those at table.

So, those of you who own both the 23" and the 32", how do you decide which KK to fire up when? Which one do you fire up more when you're not thinking about it?

2 hours ago, Syzygies said:

lemons.thumb.jpg.855e621cfafee9c2912c1cf3cea3bf98.jpg

Lemons? Did someone say lemons?

To speak up for the 23" Ultimate, I've fed 80 multiple times from my 23" Ultimate (six pork butts). The 32" to me looks bigger than I need. The 23" Ultimate will look huge, coming from what broke.

I'm also a programmer, like a few others of us here. Programming languages is the extreme case for asking for comparisons. Unless the person weighing in has extensive experience with both options, and the creative-destructive temperament to annihilate both prejudices and habits, curious to see what their Ouija board unconscious then chooses, their preference only reveals their state of mental health. One should be happy with one's choices. People often are.

I'm happy with my 23" Ultimate. I can't make a comparison with a 32". I also have a small Weber, which I'll use on occasion to finish sous-vide steak, as a way to conserve use of the best lump charcoal I can find. That has largely ceased after buying a basket splitter for my 23" KK, which serves the same conservation purpose. Others here also own Japanese robata grills, and sometimes use those at table.

So, those of you who own both the 23" and the 32", how do you decide which KK to fire up when? Which one do you fire up more when you're not thinking about it?

The 32 gets the call more often than not. Mostly has to do with two zone flexibility with sufficient real estate in both zones. Otherwise, the 23 gets the call.

• Like 1

Congrats you are going to love the 32 and you are in for a treat its night and day from a bge i had bge for many years and what comes off the kk still amazes me ..the bge is a good cooker no doubt but kk is in a league of its own 

Remember lots of pics 

I just got my 32" (metallic bronze) last Friday and got to use it yesterday for the first time to do a couple of pork butts for pulled pork. Ten hours later, I could not have been more satisfied with the purchase. It was a LOT of money, but even this first try produced really, really excellent barbecue. You are absolutely going to love your 32". Besides the ease of use, speed (of warmup) and stability, the 32" has an unbelievable amount of cooking space. I think one could easily fit six briskets or shoulders in one cook. Congratulations. Plan on spending several hours uncrating it and you might need some help to get in from crate into final position, wherever that is going to be.

Jim, Denver

IMG_0047.JPG

• Like 3