Tyrus

Steve Raichlen huli huli ribs/ on the KK Roto

I recently watched Steve's 7 minute vid  on You Tube as he presented how to smoke a rack of  St Louis ribs on a rotisserie. He definitely was up to par with his presentation on the gas grill he was using however, I thought the KK was as good, or a better option.  Steve doesn't supply to much in the way of temps, time and amounts for rubs and sauces but, that's ok, we learn to endure.  I cooked the single rack shown between 3 1/2 and 4 hours @ 250 at the onset and ended around 290 which I thought was in line.  I also had some recently delivered cherry wood that I split and kiln dried it in the KK as this cook was in progress.     And I used apple wood to flavor this rack, YUM

DSCF2290.JPG

DSCF2292.JPG

DSCF2294.JPG

DSCF2295.JPG

• Like 6

Ribs looking good. 

I like your kiln drying wood. They talk about doing that in Wood Fired Ovens. After you're done using the oven you remove all the coals then load it full of wood and shut it down. You then use that wood for your next burn. I probably should try that. If I get my oven fully heat soaked and cooled down a little it'll still be around 120* 24 hours later and that's with 40* nighttime temps. 

• Like 2

Mac,,, go ahead you know you want to.  Tekebo,,, Baby back near the spine and St. Louie down under. Prefer the baby backs but the chef stated St. Louie so that's what it was. The sauce was tasty, give it try you won't be disappointed. Just don't leave the kitchen to long as I did, my first batch burnt up..oh well.

The only beef ribs worth buying are at a butcher shop about a 75 minute drive away. I have no problem with the ride but you either get there before 9 am on a Saturday or you wait in an hour line. To top that off when ever I go there the cuts look so good I drop 2 or 3 bills. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, ckreef said:

Ribs looking good. 

I like your kiln drying wood. They talk about doing that in Wood Fired Ovens. After you're done using the oven you remove all the coals then load it full of wood and shut it down. You then use that wood for your next burn. I probably should try that. If I get my oven fully heat soaked and cooled down a little it'll still be around 120* 24 hours later and that's with 40* nighttime temps. 

Something you should do CKreef, really.  Split size is obviously a must regarding temp and is judgemental  for the cool down. My splits were thin and I expect to use them for a cook tomorrow on the Lang for Sweet Bourbon Jerky. I have to defer to my Lang because real estate is the issue with approx 6lbs of meat 1/4" x 2" slices makes the coverage a wide area. So if you remember the white looking cherry on the KK in the beginning and the over nite result are quite amazing in color change.  Moisture content is questionable but, as the green wood was presented, I think it's much better and approx half the weight. The road is clear do as you must and good luck,   

DSCF2298.JPG

• Like 2