El Pescador

First Cook

All in all, a total success for a first cook.  This thing is really an amazing and beautiful cooking tool.

In hindsight, I could have done a couple things differently, I think.

I started the fire using a torch and got a tennis ball size clump lit up and glowing.  I don't think I gave it enough time to get hot before placing the grates (bottom grate, with foil to deflect heat, and top/main grate) into the KK.  As a consequence, airflow seemed to be a little restricted (? by the foil covered lower grate) and it took longer than I expected to get up to target temp.  My bad entirely - trying to rush things as I was a bit jammed for time (never good when cooking low and slow, right?). 

Because I was a bit rushed, and targeting a specific feeding time, I put the ribs on before reaching target temp.  Maybe not so bad if I had more time, but all it really did was delay things further.  I was a little paranoid about overshooting the temp, so I didn't open the vents quite as much as I think I could have.

I popped one small chunk of hickory in with the char on the front end.  Seemed to work out pretty good (good flavoring), but got me thinking even more about making myself a smoke pot.

Last observation - ribs are good dessert.  And, I'm thinking, will make a great breakfast tomorrow...

• Like 2

Looks like a great first cook. 

A bit confused by your configuration as the pic shows the ribs on the Middle grate, not the main. You mean you foiled the very lowest grate just above the coal bed? And cooked on the middle grate? I would typically leave the lower grate out, put a layer of foil just large enough to provide a deflection zone for the ribs on the middle, and cook on the main. No issues with airflow in that configuration. 

• Like 2

I find that pork ribs are fairly forgiving when I overshoot.  Even if it gets close to 300, since the main grate is so far from the fire box.   I just check them more frequently.  For my brisket and butt cooks, I always light at night, and set the vents so that it will be ready as soon as I wake up.  I stole that from someone in here, because with a small fire it sure takes a lot time to heat that much material.  Don't try this till you are very comfortable with vent settings. 

Thanks, all. 

Pequod, It seems you aren't the only one who's confused!  You nailed it - I put the foil over the lowest grate.  Worse yet, I completely covered the grate with the foil.  And yes, I guess I was cooking on the middle.  Still trying to sort out which of the 300 lbs of high grade stainless grate to use, I suppose!  :smt102 :laughing7:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting...I did almost the same thing today, babyback ribs in my new 32" KK. I wish I'd taken pictures....First of all, my routine in my old RJ Komodo was 2 hours at 225-250, spritz and wrap in foil for 1 hour, take out of foil and finish for 1 hour. Today, on the advice of one of the other KK Members, I omitted the foil part.

I also started half of the ribs on the lower level and half on the main. In the future I will use the main and upper grill. The lower level works in a pinch, but the section that was directly over the heat source (even above the heat deflectors) was still cooking too hot, too fast.

I have to get this dialed in....one or two racks were underdone at 4 hours, the 2 that started directly above the heat were getting overdone. The rest seemed to do relatively well- I am waiting for feedback from the neighbors who are my testers. The smoke taste was good, not overdone. I used a combination of pecan and apple.

For a first cook, I could say this was close. I think it can be SO much better with some fine-tuning. At least this batch of sauce was a 14 on a scale of 10 (I will share the recipe with anyone who wishes).

Next time, pictures and finer tuning.

• Like 3