ckreef

Chicago Deep Dish - spur of the moment decision

Sunday cooked a late brunch on the outdoor griddle. French toast stuffed with sweet cheese and Lingonberries, bacon, and hash browns. After brunch we drove my son back to college. On the way home I got thinking. We didn’t have anything planned for dinner and if we were willing to eat a little late I could squeeze a Chicago Deep Dish in for dinner. I should have all the ingredients at home and it will give me a chance to try out my new Lloyd Chicago Deep Dish Pan. 

When we got home first thing I did was mix up the dough since it would need a 2 hour rise. I then went outside and fired up my 19" Komodo Kamado to get that up to 400*. Back inside to lightly brown some Italian sausage and make a homemade pizza sauce using San Marzano tomatoes. After an hour the KK was crusin steady at 400* so I put my Komodo Kamado baking stone in. It's a big fat baking stone and I knew that would take about an hour to come up to temperature. 

At the 2 hour mark the dough was looking right so I went outside to check the temperature. 408* at the dome and the baking stone at 391*. Close enough, time to build the pie. Also note while the inside is basically 400* the outside a mild *112.

lpcA.thumb.jpg.c87f7b66e8fa96407e5dfa6d1fa3f832.jpg

lpcB.thumb.jpg.18776fd690eccfa545748ebf7ab889d2.jpg

lpcC.thumb.jpg.bf3263ee1f214d886c962622379dafe4.jpg

I went for a traditional Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Stretched the dough up the sides, Mozzarella cheese and the Italian sausage. I normally use sliced mozzarella but I didn't have any so I went with what I had. Shredded mozzarella will have to do. Lastly I added the sauce and sprinkled on some parmesan cheese. 

lpcD.thumb.jpg.8744d6ccb9c4e2ceae0ab47cd50ec7a1.jpg

lpcE.thumb.jpg.fe55d16f10d8a9322fe5902055f76c4e.jpg

About 40 minutes later it's looking right. I brought it inside and let it rest for a few minutes. It slide right out of the pan without any effort. I really like Lloyd Pans. 

lpcF.thumb.jpg.7784a7d9b5484f15b393334312e3ee6c.jpg

lpcG.thumb.jpg.0d74574e0cc8d1fc972885dbc390088e.jpg

Bottom of the crust browned perfectly. Ooey, goey, yummy on the inside - LOL 

A spur of the moment decision turned out spot on. Total time, 3 hours from start to finish. Dinner was at 8 pm. 

lpcH.thumb.jpg.c33e7ba98c9743efa6c52e36a0c3c845.jpg

lpcI.thumb.jpg.6e3c57dacaa2462c8f99f17becdb68e9.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

I had pizza last nite but,,it didn't look that good. 3hrs? a shame you couldn't have made another and froze it to justify all the effort

Wasn't much effort. Most of the effort was 12 oz curls while the dough rose and the KK came to temp. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonj said:

I keep looking at those Lloyd pans. I'm still not sure but this certainly moved the needle closer to the tipping point. Nice cook and instructional photos.

I am a huge fan of the Lloyd Pans. If you get one you won't be sorry. I like them so much I'm going to buy their cookware set sometime in the near future. 

1 hour ago, Stile88 said:

surprising that you didn't use your pizza oven. looks fantastic all the same ck yum yum

This adventure started at 5 pm and I only had 2 hours heat up time. The WFO would have taken another hour or so and definitely would have taken more work. 

• Like 1

Good looking pizza @ckreef.  When our teacher in Italy taught us to use a pan when making pizza I thought it was cheating but really appreciated how the outcome was a nice round, professional looking pizza.  You are convincing me that these Lloyd pans are a good thing.  Might have to add that to my Lodge pan addiction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you everyone I appreciate the compliments.

The timeline was sort of critical because I didn't want to eat dinner in the middle of the night. Before I started I came up with a work flow (in my mind) that would get everything accomplished without rushing. I stuck to my work flow and pulled it off in the anticipated 3 hours. 

Critical to that time line was properly managing that baking stone. It's 7/8" thick and takes a good while to heat up. 

That Chicago pan doesn't look all that big in pictures but it's huge for 2 people especially being as thick as this pizza was. Sunday we ate half the pizza. Normally I would take the leftovers to work on Monday. Since we had a full half pizza left we figured we would eat it Monday night. I brushed ghee all over the crust (bottom, sides, and rim). Threw some more mozzarella on top along with some pepperoni, popped it in the (dare I say) oven. Awesome leftovers. Note that pan I used to reheat it is my Lloyd's 10"x14" grandma pan. 

lplA.thumb.jpg.b6007984338170902973875d0348e01b.jpg

lplB.thumb.jpg.c9e70feaa90e10f04df47c5f030f4f3a.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you everyone I appreciate the compliments.

The timeline was sort of critical because I didn't want to eat dinner in the middle of the night. Before I started I came up with a work flow (in my mind) that would get everything accomplished without rushing. I stuck to my work flow and pulled it off in the anticipated 3 hours. 

Critical to that time line was properly managing that baking stone. It's 7/8" thick and takes a good while to heat up. 

That Chicago pan doesn't look all that big in pictures but it's huge for 2 people especially being as thick as this pizza was. Sunday we ate half the pizza. Normally I would take the leftovers to work on Monday. Since we had a full half pizza left we figured we would eat it Monday night. I brushed ghee all over the crust (bottom, sides, and rim). Threw some more mozzarella on top along with some pepperoni, popped it in the (dare I say) oven. Awesome leftovers. Note that pan I used to reheat it is my Lloyd's 10"x14" grandma pan. 

lplA.thumb.jpg.b6007984338170902973875d0348e01b.jpg

lplB.thumb.jpg.c9e70feaa90e10f04df47c5f030f4f3a.jpg

Just stop already - that is too good and keeps on giving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4