ckreef

Chicago Deep Dish - spur of the moment decision

I like what you said about planning your work flow.  This is something I always do for cooks now, especially when entertaining.  When people come early they always ask if they can help, but I always have everything planned just so and have it in my head lol.  I know if I just try to explain it it would take longer and not turn out as well.  Lol. 

Anyway.... You should get a Lloyd's pan sponsorship.  I'm so close to ordering some and I feel like you should get the kickback lol. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shuley said:

I like what you said about planning your work flow.  This is something I always do for cooks now, especially when entertaining.  When people come early they always ask if they can help, but I always have everything planned just so and have it in my head lol.  I know if I just try to explain it it would take longer and not turn out as well.  Lol. 

Anyway.... You should get a Lloyd's pan sponsorship.  I'm so close to ordering some and I feel like you should get the kickback lol. 

Sometimes I wing it and sometimes I plan. The cook also goes smoother when I plan it. I should plan more often. 

Yea Lloyd Pans has made a few sales lately ;)

Edited by ckreef
  • Haha 1

Ck-a few questions. I’m a former NYer so I prefer my crispy thin crust most of the time but this is a nice change.

The dough only takes two hours before it’s ready to go? It’s not a longer fermentation of 24-48 hours I would usually do?

The Lloyd pan seems interesting. My only concern is the nonstick part of the pan. Is it safe at higher temps?
Is Chicago pizza usually cooked at 400?
Lastly, what size pan would you recommend?

Thanks!
Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

Ck-a few questions. I’m a former NYer so I prefer my crispy thin crust most of the time but this is a nice change.

The dough only takes two hours before it’s ready to go? It’s not a longer fermentation of 24-48 hours I would usually do?

The Lloyd pan seems interesting. My only concern is the nonstick part of the pan. Is it safe at higher temps?
Is Chicago pizza usually cooked at 400?
Lastly, what size pan would you recommend?

Thanks!
Drew

Per their customer service their pans with the PSTK coating are good to 750*. Even their cookware pieces (fry pans, saute pans etc..... W/ slightly different coating) are oven safe to 700*. 

The dough recipe came from Deep Dish dot com. 2 hour time by the recipe but it also talks about a longer refrigerator ferment. I highly recommend that website. 400*-450*.

The pan I have is 12". Two people would have a hard time eating all that in one sitting. But for 2 people it does leave leftovers for lunch the next day. They sell them in sizes from 6" - 18" in diameter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Thank you ck for all the info. I saw several different depths on the pans and stacking/nesting. Any recommendations? 12” will be fine for us one diameter. emoji51.png. MCS lives strong. emoji51.png

Mine is the 12" x 2" high nesting pan with PSTK coating. The nesting pans have a slight angle on the sides which is fine and is what I would recommend for a general use pan. 

I am about to order five, 7" x 2" stacking pans to make personal pan pizzas for lunchtime. The stacking pans gives you 1 1/2" space between the pans when stacked. I want to build the pizzas in the pans in the morning and stack them in the refrigerator until I am ready to put them in the grill/WFO later in the day. If this works as I think it should I'll buy another 5 or 10 next time my family comes to visit. Would make cooking multiple pies easier if they were premade and ready to go. 

One thing to mention - these pans are built to order. When you place an order your order is put in the production que. Because of that there is a 3 or 4 week lead time before they'll arrive at the house. 

• Like 1

Got my pan. I ordered Lloyd’s through amazon. Mine has the holes in the bottom. Thought I’d give it a try as it was almost $20 cheaper due to free shipping.
Reviewed website and I’ll probably give it a go Sunday. I’ll keep you posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfdrew28 said:

Got my pan. I ordered Lloyd’s through amazon. Mine has the holes in the bottom. Thought I’d give it a try as it was almost $20 cheaper due to free shipping.
Reviewed website and I’ll probably give it a go Sunday. I’ll keep you posted.

Really interested to see how the ones with holes in the bottom work. I'll be watching for the cook. 

• Like 1

Have it on the cooker now. I don’t have high confidence that it’ll come out well but I’ll know soon enough.

I followed the dough recipe using bakers measurements and proofed two hours. The dough quantity seemed light to cover the 12”pan. It was too thin in some areas.
The holes in the pan suck too. I had dough poking through the bottom of the pan! I ended up putting parchment paper between the pan and stone. Will be returning that item

Photos soon.

• Sad 1

And here it is....the pizza crust stuck to the holes(which I now see in the reviews). The crust tasted well as did the pizza.

Next time more dough and the no hole Lloyd pan. e6f8fa0be43399366d77db54e93b7926.jpg9c46251acca81e299989f25ec403880a.jpg1280d6e4f25fa08f3e85ad947c508995.jpg

Also...I drained my chopped tomatoes yet there was still a ton of liquid. Hmmm

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

And here it is....emoji23.pngthe pizza crust stuck to the holes(which I now see in the reviews). The crust tasted well as did the pizza.

Next time more dough and the no hole Lloyd pan.

Also...I drained my chopped tomatoes yet there was still a ton of liquid. Hmmm

Bummer on the pan but I sort of figured that. Good thing you can send it back. Pizzas just slide out of the no hole pan with very little if any effort. 

For pizzas like this I make a cooked sauce which takes care of the liquid issue. 

For Neopolitan style I'll do a uncooked sauce but I still squeeze out the excess liquid as best as possible. At those temps with a limited amount of sauce the water that is left will evaporate. 

BTW even with the issues it still looks good. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

Okay...attempt number two with The pan with no holes. It went really smooth. I had to cover the pizza with foil at twenty minute mark as my grill went up towards 500.
Other than that no issues. Came right out of pan and outside had a nice crunch to it. 7e37883c13f455ab6ffb3466a9e5f908.jpg34d482863f2c0d0c2857109f2d15212d.jpg7d11d8df189e371c0f3f6ead7f36de23.jpg60f9d1dc1c7e72529c93eb7963a9ca56.jpg

• Like 6