Papaya16

Need HELP for Easter Leg(s) of Lamb Cook on Ultimate 23

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but since I bought my 23" last June, I have had many happy hours cooking grilling and smoking all kinds of food.

My wife would like me to cook leg of lamb for Easter dinner next Sunday and we are having about 20 - 22 people.   I have the standard racks that came with the cooker.

How much lamb should I buy and what's the best way to position it the grill and the best way to cook it?  I'm thinking I'll need 3 boneless legs of about 6-7 lbs each.

I'd appreciate any tips and feedback anyone had to offer.  The only other cook I've done for this many people is pork shoulder/pork butt so I seriously need some advice!

Thanks in advance

Assuming that you will have the normal amount of side dishes/salads/dessert, etc. That's probably too much meat, as you're currently planning a full pound per person (pre-cooked). Two boneless legs should be enough. 

I like to keep it simple - make a paste of olive oil, fresh rosemary, crushed garlic cloves and S&P (maybe some purple crack if you have it). Rub the legs generously with it, both inside and out. Tie up the legs with good butcher's twine. Cook direct on the main grate @ 350F until an IT of 130F (lamb should be cooked no more than medium, IMHO). For lamb, I like to use a combo of oak and apple woods for smoke. 

Good luck and post pics of the big Bunny Day cook!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cook lamb on my KK but couldn't have described it any better than @tony b has above.  I don't usually add smoke but internal temp is key.  Depends on your taste but I cook to 50C (122F) and leave to rest, after which the IT rises a few degrees and the meat is at the perfect level of rareness for me. Whatever you do, try not to take it to the dry and grainy stage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice!  Turns out the store had all 3 lb boneless legs,rolled and tied, so I will using 3 or 4 of them, as we will also be heating a small already cooked ham as well.  I will let you all know how they turn out!  Any ideas how long the cooking time is likely to be with these smaller pieces on the grill?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Papaya16 said:

Any ideas how long the cooking time is likely to be with these smaller pieces on the grill?

I mostly rely on measuring internal temp and the cook time predictions from my MEATER.  In my IDK past I used to use these Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall estimates: http://iolarfood.blogspot.com/2017/01/roasting-meat-hugh-fearnley.html  That should give you a good estimate, but checking internal temp during cook will be key.  

• Thanks 2