DKMC2000

How Long to Burn the Coal Lid Up?

Regarding the hear deflector, the only time I found it really necessary was when I had a full packer brisket on my main grate, pork belly burnt ends on the top grate, and wanted to put some ribs on the bottom grate.  I didn't want the ribs that close to the fire unprotected, so I rested the deflector on the charcoal basket handles, then put the ribs on the lower grate.  My KK was already well heated as it was several hours into the cook, and my ribs were adequately protected.... Although not quite as good as when I cook them on the main grate. 

I also use it as a baking stone which I know it isn't *supposed*to be used for but it works way better than my thin pizza stone.  I have also been since converted to my pizza steel, so once I figure out how to use it on my KK I know I won't use the deflector as a stone anymore. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Pequod said:

Yup...a good example of why I monitor formation of the flame front is...lighting binchotan

Been meaning to ask @Pequod: how are you getting on with binchotan?  I have only ever used coconut shell briquettes in my KK and binchotan in my konro grill and so don't have many comparators.  I find the binchotan burns cleanly and creates no odour problems with indoor cooks but I don't know if other options are different or better.

31 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Been meaning to ask @Pequod: how are you getting on with binchotan?  I have only ever used coconut shell briquettes in my KK and binchotan in my konro grill and so don't have many comparators.  I find the binchotan burns cleanly and creates no odour problems with indoor cooks but I don't know if other options are different or better.

I've only used the binchotan once, but found it was a bear to light. I placed it on top of a fully lit and actively flaming bed of lump in my KK. Left it there for about an hour. And found it STILL hadn't really "lit". Next time I will use my chimney starter to see if I have more success that way.

6 hours ago, Pequod said:

I've only used the binchotan once, but found it was a bear to light. I placed it on top of a fully lit and actively flaming bed of lump in my KK. Left it there for about an hour. And found it STILL hadn't really "lit". Next time I will use my chimney starter to see if I have more success that way.

My technique is a little different to yours and it takes 1 to 1.5hrs to get the binchotan white hot.  I generally start a fire in the KK with the binchotan sitting on top of cocoshell briquettes i.e. I set it all going at the same time.  As with all fires in the KK, I go back after ten, then twenty minutes to blow hard with my leaf blower.  Almost always works.  I did wonder if this was over kill and I was going to try starting the fire directly in the konro.  Not sure how that will work out but will give it a go as I don't have a chimney starter and don't want to buy one just for this purpose.  Keen to know how you get on though.  

While I don't have true white binchotan charcoal ($$$) for my yakitori, I have similar stuff, that's almost as difficult to light.

https://www.korin.com/TK-636-19-05

https://www.korin.com/TK-636-20-05_2

I typically start it in chimney, with some small bits of lump on the bottom and the hard charcoal on top. Light a starter cube underneath and let it go until I see that the hard charcoal has started, then transfer it to the yakitori with tongs and let it get going a bit before starting to cook. This stuff takes even longer to get up to temp than does Dennis' cocochar, but it's super clean, burns very hot and lasts a long time - to the point of snuffing it out in the KK and reusing it.