DKMC2000

Best Uses for the Basket Splitter

On April 16, 2019 at 7:11 AM, Pequod said:

Here's a pic of the two zone in action. Note the half main on the left. Once I got enough char on, I moved the steak to the half main and closed the lid for about 5 minutes. With a reverse sear, you start on the cool side until you get to the right internal temp, then flash it over the coals to sear. This configuration also works for low and slow. I'll keep the temp down in the 250-300 range and put the meat on the half main. No need to reconfigure anything. 

MVIMG_20190413_164442.thumb.jpg.657821cf27947706cb0f95c69fcedc44.jpg

With that set up of the Splitter Basket, does that side get enough air since the the Dial on the side has the various sized Holes ?  I have always done it the the other side.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EGGARY said:

With that set up of the Splitter Basket, does that side get enough air since the the Dial on the side has the various sized Holes ?  I have always done it the the other side.  

The splitter has no impact on the airflow under the basket. That is, no matter which vent the air enters from, it is all going through whichever side of the basket provides it a path up and out.

• Like 1

Has anyone found a use for the splitter on a 21" KK. If u did please share because I would love to put my splitter to use.

Bought an extra basket and splitter when I got my 21" KK and tried using the splitter once for burgers. Did not like it. I only had 6 burgers all on the direct side and the ones closer to the blocked side (still over the fire) took much longer to cook and look good.

Hind sight maybe should have gone for the cold smoker instead since i am finding it hard to accomodate a cast iron pot under the low grate when doing a long smoke.

• Like 1

2 zones glx.
I take a thick steak out of the fridge and let slowly come to temp on the colder side so it can absorb some smoke.
Then sear it over the flame.
Some other sear it first, then rest it on the cooler side until it reaches their desired temp.
Also some use it with the rotisserie to reduce fat burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my basket splitter for about 1/2 of my cooks, as I'm usually just cooking for myself. It saves charcoal and gets hot faster when I'm grilling. I like to use it on most rotisserie cooks, with the fire in the back. Just keep working with it to find the best uses for your cooks. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Can you leave the lower grate out?

I have been putting the lower grate in so I can put aluminum foil to create indirect heat. After writing that yesterday I had a duh.. moment. Today I just put a brisket and instead of the lower grate I put in the middle grate which sits just a tad higher and tada, the dutch oven fits perfectly.

20200327_192514.jpg

20200327_192518.jpg

• Like 4

Yep. Bigger than neccessary, if there is such a thing.

The smallest I could find at the butcher, 18 lbs before trimming the fat. Not sure if today will be the first time I try elephant meat 😁

About 15-16 lbs after trimming.

The strange part is that it must have been the quickest cooking brisket I have ever done. Set it last night at 7:30PM @235 F, wrapped it at 1:30 am in butcher paper. Hit 204F and soft as butter at 7:30 am this morning. Resting now before slicing for lunch.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, glx said:

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread because still not sure what can I do with my basket splitter on the 21" KK, but below some pics of the bark and the final product.

Not hijacking as it’s an older thread. Think of it as repurposing. 🤔

Idea of the splitter is two zone. But I haven’t seen the basket on a 21, so have no idea how large the two zones would be. Do you happen to have pics of the basket with and without the splitter?

• Like 2

Thx. Brisket always comes out very good and always tastes better in sone sort of a taco form. Or just naked with nothing on it.

6 hours ago, Pequod said:

Idea of the splitter is two zone

Thx Pequod. I understand the idea of the two zone the trouble I have had with the splitter on the 21" is that I end up with a fairly small grill size when the 21" is split in two.

Maybe next time I smoke a roast or NY strip I will try to use the split basket rather than smoke it and than crank up the heat to sear (which is what I am doing now).

Will report back once I get a chance to try. 

The quarantine is proving to be extremely detrimental to keeping the calorie intake to a reasonable level 😣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2