DKMC2000

Best Uses for the Basket Splitter

I agree with you on the calorie count glx. I also think we are going to have a whole new generation of babies born because of this stay at home order. Lol and a heck of a lot of people with clean hands. Uh oh I better go wash my hands it’s been over ten minutes since last time. 
everybody stay safe and keep all those wonderfully yummy and delicious food pictures coming I think I have gained 5 lbs. just from looking at all this delicious food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok. So decided to truly give a try to the splitter today with 3 NY strips.

Usually I sear at high heat on the lower grate, take the steaks out, put the upper grate in and drop the temp a bit before putting the steaks back.

Today I got the grill up to 475 with the splitter. Seared 3 NY strips on the hot side and then moved them indirect until cooked.

Same great taste but easier to deal with than what I was doing previously. Only negative is space with the 21" would allow for only one more steak.

A few pictures below.

20200329_121339.jpg

20200329_131332.jpg

20200329_135331.jpg

Edited by glx
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, glx said:

The quarantine is proving to be extremely detrimental to keeping the calorie intake to a reasonable level 😣

I hear that! Plus, less activity to burn up those extra calories isn't helping either! 

Nice job on those strips! 

Edited by tony b

Ok. After truly trying the splitter for quite a few cooks, i think it is awesome for steaks and pork chops. There are other ways to sear and than cook but having the grill with a two zone definitely is easier and works better.

My only gripe is that for steaks and pork chops I go with the middle grid at 450 because the upper grid is too far from the fire. With the 21" grill and the middle grate the space to sear and then move over becomes very small (see below) either 3 NY strips or four chops.

Makes me want the 32" that much more.

20200412_130749.jpg

20200412_130752.jpg

20200412_131930.jpg

• Like 2

Haven't gotten my kk yet but when I do it will be the 32, I'll get the 2 zone and all that from jump street. So I won't have to up size later. 

With 5 kids and 2 adults, a 32 sounds just right and especially for the versatility. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Haven't gotten my kk yet but when I do it will be the 32, I'll get the 2 zone and all that from jump street. So I won't have to up size later. 

With 5 kids and 2 adults, a 32 sounds just right and especially for the versatility. 

The 32 is a great grill!