Shuley

Pizza steal/elements of pizza conversion for KK?

So I got The Elements of Pizza last summer and have had a pizza steal since November.  I am amazed at the pizzas I can turn out in my oven.  They are simply fantastic.  Specifically Enzos (although we also love the Saturday one) dough margarita pizza has been my family's favorite.  However, when I tried doing the same thing on my KK   (550)my pizzas burnt up in no time flat and were virtually inedible.  I even tried dramatically reducing the cooking time and that left the toppings almost raw, but the crust was still burnt.  I've just settled into using my oven, but with summer and ridiculous Temps coming, I'm much rather do this outdoors.  I was wondering if anyone had successfully used these recipes on the KK and if so what Temps and modifications they used? 

Thanks for any help! 

2 hours ago, Shuley said:

So I got The Elements of Pizza last summer and have had a pizza steal since November.  I am amazed at the pizzas I can turn out in my oven.  They are simply fantastic.  Specifically Enzos (although we also love the Saturday one) dough margarita pizza has been my family's favorite.  However, when I tried doing the same thing on my KK   (550)my pizzas burnt up in no time flat and were virtually inedible.  I even tried dramatically reducing the cooking time and that left the toppings almost raw, but the crust was still burnt.  I've just settled into using my oven, but with summer and ridiculous Temps coming, I'm much rather do this outdoors.  I was wondering if anyone had successfully used these recipes on the KK and if so what Temps and modifications they used? 

Thanks for any help! 

Don’t know about these recipes in particular but I love using the baking steel  in my KK. The one thing you need to do differently is make sure you have some kind of deflector below the baking steel or it will go nuclear. For example I use re-purposed GrillGrates,  but you could use anything that provides a bit of a thermal cushion from the direct infrared.

29 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Don’t know about these recipes in particular but I love using the baking steel  in my KK. The one thing you need to do differently is make sure you have some kind of deflector below the baking steel or it will go nuclear. For example I use re-purposed GrillGrates,  but you could use anything that provides a bit of a thermal cushion from the direct infrared.

So maybe put the heat deflector directly under the steel? 

I run at 550 on my steel in the KK, but no higher. That’s for a dough I’d normally do at 650-750 on my Blackstone. If you’re using a typical elements of pizza recipe, with unmalted 00 flour and no oil or sugar, 550 should work for the bottom, but the top might be a bit “blond”. You might want to switch to a malted AP flour to get a bit of browning. The pizza in the pic above used a malted flour to get achieve the browning you see there. 

Edited by Pequod

I haven’t had the issues. That book upped my game to the next level. I use the stone and not a steel so that may be difference. The steel will burn the bottoms at higher temps than 500. I love the ny pizza dough recipe. I also have used the 24 hour and the 48 to 72 hour. I use OO flour for the last two and get the stone to about 600-650 and it takes about six minutes.
For the NY pizza dough I use bread flour and keep the stone in the 500-550 range. The pizzas take about 7-9 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk