DKMC2000

More Newbe Questions

Please provide pics or responses to any or all of the following:

First of all, please someone show me a pic of a properly installed basket splitter in the 32.  Next, with a full basket of coal, I can’t seem to get my heat any less than 250F, so is the trick using less coal because I had the top a single quarter top and the bottom only the single pin hole and couldn’t get less than 250F.

Regarding brisket, and after trimming the outsides, is there any simple way to remove the massive internal fat cavity on the inside, or must it be part of the cook?

Finally, I still struggle keeping all of my coal lit across the basket.  This time I put starters across 3 sections and let burn hot for over 15 mins B4 closing and adjusting to 275.  Opened 8 hours later and the right 3rd coal looked black and not lit.  Are they out due to the limited oxygen flow needed for me to get down to 275F?

Thanks for any help!

16 minutes ago, DKMC2000 said:

Please provide pics or responses to any or all of the following:

First of all, please someone show me a pic of a properly installed basket splitter in the 32.  Next, with a full basket of coal, I can’t seem to get my heat any less than 250F, so is the trick using less coal because I had the top a single quarter top and the bottom only the single pin hole and couldn’t get less than 250F.

Regarding brisket, and after trimming the outsides, is there any simple way to remove the massive internal fat cavity on the inside, or must it be part of the cook?

Finally, I still struggle keeping all of my coal lit across the basket.  This time I put starters across 3 sections and let burn hot for over 15 mins B4 closing and adjusting to 275.  Opened 8 hours later and the right 3rd coal looked black and not lit.  Are they out due to the limited oxygen flow needed for me to get down to 275F?

Thanks for any help!

Turns out I don't have a pic of just the basket splitter. The pic on the KK page is probably the best: https://komodokamado.com/collections/32-bad-boy-accessories/products/charcoal-basket-shield-for-bbq-32-18-lbs. The two flat plates are optional and give you the flexibility to use 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 basket. 

Here's a pic of my using it in the 50% position, which is nearly my permanent configuration.

IMG_20180415_170428-2.thumb.jpg.2436dcaad0db791ea2984cc5522d623a.jpg

Here is a full basket of Fogo. Kinda boring, but you asked.

1864174820_2017-03-1111_59_58.thumb.jpg.564e052b2621a2d104a49bde00675775.jpg

Here is a full basket fully lit.

IMG_2508.thumb.JPG.9bf516870cb488e8c9e0366326476d2c.JPG

For low and slow cooks, you will not have a fully lit basket of coals, nor do you need one. A small, softball size chunk of lit coals can sustain low and slow. If you light multiple sections, you will have difficulty keeping the temp down. So...light just one spot and set your vents. Done.

• Like 1

I don't own a 32", so I can't comment on the basket splitter, but Pequod's got you hooked up with the 411. 

As far as a full packer cut brisket (flat and point), most don't try and separate them to get at that middle fat layer. It's a tricky butchering job. Just go with the flow. Once the brisket is done, they separate easily, which is important as they don't slice in the same direction.