PVPAUL

Soon to be new owner!!!

Placed an order with Dennis in February and needless to say i’m Very excited to soon be receiving my 32” BB KK. I’ve been a cook pretty much my whole life, not professionally.... just a great hobbie. I’ve also been a home brewer for over 26 years as well. For grilling I’ve been cooking on charcoal, gas and recently added a Cookshack PG500 (Pellet grill) to the arsenal. I also have been dabblining in SV cooking for a couple of years now. I have been reading the forum extensively looking for ideas and tips so I can hit the ground running once my KK arrives. 

I’m fortunate enough to have recently retired and this is the present I bought for myself so with the extra time I look forward to creating great meals for family and friends. 

I was going to wait to join the forum until after my KK arrived but decided to start now so I can chime in and start asking questions etc. I’m looking forward to meeting with the great people who take time to help out us newbies.

All the best,

Paul

PS - I’ll be keeping this grill at our vacation home in Northern Wisconsin. We call our up north place “Puravidaville” and therefore the natural name for our grill will be “Puravida-Grill”!!! (My wife says I have a Grill fetish......I think she’s right!)

• Like 8

I wish you a lonng retirement and congratulations on gifting yourself a great tool. I do believe after using your KK you may regret leaving it elsewhere unless thats where you spend the most of your time. Think you found the right address, cooking and drinking beer is a favorite pastime here.

Thanks Pequot and Tyrus for your replies. Tyrus after raising 4 kids we’ve finally achieved empty nester status. Since I no longer will be attending my kids baseball games I get to spend most of my time up north where the KK will reside so this is actually the place I do most of my grilling / outdoor cooking. I may find myself wanting another KK back home though (haha).  Opening day of fishing is first weekend in May and plan on staying up north for the rest of the summer through September and October. Our calendar is pretty much booked with family and friends coming up north to enjoy lake living! I haven’t filled in the calendar with respect to meal planning and the wife has informed me that we’ll still go out to dinner once in a while too!!!

Best,

Paul

• Like 2

Welocme PVPAUL. :thumbup::drinkers:  I'm wondering if after tasting the food that you cook on the KK if she will still want to eat out. It will taste that much better.:wynar:

BTW, when is your expected to make an appearance? Remember we will all want to see the arrival pixs, lots and lots of them we hope. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie

Hello MacKenzie, and thanks for the welcome! My best guess on ETA is mid May.....It’s making the voyage across the ocean at this time and not sure yet when it will hit USA etc. I will definitely be taking pics to share our new arrival on this forum. I really enjoy this part of the forum!

I see in the SV section of the forum you do a lot posting. I look forward into tapping into your knowledge /  experience on this technique. Especially as it relates to combining SV & KK cooking. 

All the best,

Paul

• Like 3

Welcome to the Obsession, Paul! You're about to be blown away when your KK arrives. Nothing else matches it. What color did you get?? Looking forward to seeing lots of pics of the uncrating and first cooks! 

Another homebrewer here, so interesting in what you have been brewing lately? :drinkers:

Hello Tony b, Yea I’m definitely totally excited. I went with terra blue tiles that have a lot of brown on them. I liked this look a lot. Will definitely have the uncrating pics and the whole 9 yards. Since my home brewery is at home and my grill will be up north I’ve been a brewing fool this early spring. I’ve got 40 gallons of home brew for the summer....Munich Helles, American Amber, Blonde and a Belgium Red IPA (one of my staples). I also have some 2 year old Belgium Dubbel and I’ve got 2 Barley Wines as well. One Barley wine is about 1 1/2 years old and the second one is only about 5 months old... Just removed the Oak from it a few weeks ago....and now it needs to age....

How about you? What do you have on tap?

All the best,

Paul

• Like 1

My homebrew club (Cedar Rapids Brewing Society) does a "Jimmy Carter Happy Hour" at a local brewery the last Sunday of every month (that would be TODAY!) I brought a beer that I've brewed for an upcoming beer festival that we do every year. I was inspired by a beer that I had last month at Heretic Brewing, an IPA that was based on Matcha Green Tea. So, no recipe in hand, I set out to try it. It's called "U Cannot Tell Me What 2 Brew" as it is 100% Eukanot hops, with the Matcha Green Tea as the bittering component in the boil (no hops in the boil - all whirlpool, fermentation and dry hopping). :drinkers:

Hey Tony, that sounds like a very interesting beer! How do you like the end result? Jimmy Carter Happy Hour....I like that...named after the president that legalized  the Hobby!  I checked out “Heretic brewing web site....Looks like they do some great beers.

The only time I brewed with a Tea was for a Belgium Wit which commonly calls for chamomile tea, coriander seed and orange peels. One of my last beers was batch #201.....which if you consider I’ve been brewing as long as I have may not be much (some years where I brewed 10 batches and some years didn’t brew at all). I’m also a member of a beer club here in Milwaukee (Beer Barons of Milwaukee) and I’m currently tied with another member for being one of the current oldest standing members....not sure if that is a good thing. While I belong to the club I’m not crazy active with them.....between raising 4 kids and work (and not to mention that the monthly meetings are about 45 minutes drive away) I probably get to 2-3 meetings per year. I really enjoy the creativity and the process of brewing, however I typically don’t get too crazy with exotic ingredients.....stick with mostly the tried and true. I find the hobby very interesting and seeing other peoples systems and their process. It really can be a gadget hobby and everybody does their own take on it!!! We used to have some old members (Senior to me) who made “Onion” beer and “Garlic” beer. IMO that’s a good beer for cooking Bratwurst in but not for typical consumption!

Cheers,

Paul

16 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

“Onion” beer and “Garlic” beer. IMO that’s a good beer for cooking Bratwurst in but not for typical consumption!

Have to agree with you there! The only really exotic beers that I've done was some mushroom beers about 10 years ago. Not a good experience. To many stray "bugs" on them (they were dried mushrooms) - some went "south" immediately during fermentation, others took a few weeks, but eventually all went bad. My mistake was not "nuking them" first. If you've heard us on this Forum talking about "purple crack" (Tazmanian Pepperberries, aka, Mountain Pepper), I have used that in a couple of beers that worked pretty well. I even put some in a mead. Yeah, it's a fun hobby and you get to hang out with some cool folks and share beers - nothing better than that!! :occasion5:

I've actually heard of your Club, as I go to Homebrew Con (aka National Homebrewers Conference) most years. I'm pretty sure we poured beers together on Club Night in Minneapolis 3 years ago and maybe in Grand Rapids back in 2014. Back in the day, we were called the Beer Nuts, that was until the actual Beer Nuts company sent us a legal "cease and desist" letter! You can see our booth in the background at the beginning!

Are you going to HomeBrew Con in Providence, RI this year?

Edited by tony b

Hey Tony, I did see reference to “Purple Crack” and I’m glad to know what this is. I will have to see if I can find it....maybe at Penzy’s??? I have never been to Homebrewers Con but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it and what great fun it is. I’ve also heard that Homebrewers night is the best. I recall the year that it was in Minneapolis and I think our club had a good presence at that one since it’s a reasonable drive to location. I know our club theme is “Bowling” so that is  the is the way we present at the conference. Now that I’m retired I think that this is now on my bucket list!!! I will check with some friends / members of our club to see if we’ll be in attendance. I find it amazing that the hobby continues to grow and grow. I think our club has close to 200 members and a monthly meeting will have about 100-120 in attendance. It was cool watching the video.....seeing Charlie P. His was the first Homebrewers book I ever owned....he also used to have a beer in the marketplace that was available around here....I forget the name but I really liked the beer. 

Take care,

Paul

Wow, your club is 4 times the size of ours. Last year's Homebrew Con was Charlie P's "retirement party." You should definitely consider going, as it really is a lot of fun. I've been to 7 so far. If they hold true to form, 2020 will be somewhere in the Midwest. They'll announce the location at this year's convention. 

Tony, I likely will not attend as I’m booked this summer, however I will set up a tickler about next year and hopefully I will attend this one, especially if it’s somewhat close to home. I wanted to mention that I saw some of your other post here on the forum. On one you mentioned that you like some of the products from Dizzy Pig. What are your favorites from these guys as I was thinking about placing an order?

Also saw your post on making fermented hot sauce.....this is something I’ve never though of but am interested. I make and can hot sauce every year, both a red base and also a green (Tomatillo) however have never tried fermented. Along these lines have you next every had “Marie Sharps” from Belize? We stumbled upon this while on vacation in Belize a number of years ago. They have an habanero which uses carrots in the base....it’s pretty hot but I use it sparingly and it has great flavor.....I’m not a big fan of Tabasco and some of the other big names but do like Maries. They also have what they call an “Exotic Sauce” that is more sweet which we like. When we end up doing a fish fry we like to break out an arsenal of different pepper sauces and top off the fish nuggets with this stuff.

Cheers,

Paul

2 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

On one you mentioned that you like some of the products from Dizzy Pig. What are your favorites from these guys as I was thinking about placing an order?

Basically - ALL of them! But, if I had to choose a few to recommend - Dizzy Dust (my go-to for pork - but curious to try the new spicier version), Raising the Steaks (but also like Cow Lick) on beef, as a brewer you should try the IPA, and I like the Bayou-ish for a good all round Louisiana spice rub/blackening. 

Go check out Lane's BBQ. Their stuff is seriously good, too. I actually backed them in a Kickstarter campaign. Another Kickstarter that I backed were these guys from Hawaii (Adoboloco) making hot sauces, several of which will "light up the haoles!"

2 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

ever had “Marie Sharps” from Belize?

Big fan from waaaay back in the day when it was originally called "Melinda's." One of the first hot sauces that I found with as much flavor as heat. I have a stupid amount of hot sauces in my pantry. Many are gifts from friends, mostly with cutesy names, ("Slap my Ass and call me Sally!") but they all taste the same!

I used to feel the same about Tabasco, but check out their website, as they have branched out into other styles. Their "sriracha" based sauce is actually almost as good as the original. Their "garlic marinade" is pretty good on chicken and shrimp. The longer aged versions have complex flavors and not just spicy vinegar. 

• Like 1

Hello All, I’m pleased to say that Christmas arrived on June 5th this year! Attached are some photos of the move and unpacking. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot as it was just the truck driver, a friend of mine and myself.....so no one to really work the camera. All and all the experience of unloading and putting into position went as planned with no hiccups. Now the fun part of cooking on “PVG” (Puravida Grill). I’ve also enclosed a pic of my 1st cook which was burnt ends made from Pork Belly! Oh yea, and a couple of my pups cooling off in the lake!

Thanks to all on the forum who share their experiences and knowledge which definitely made the move easier!

All the best,

Paul

702DEF36-009F-47BF-B076-45A6F9C9C78E.jpeg

38676CEB-2449-4989-B918-9A3E30A0A03C.jpeg

CF40585D-9A23-4969-A607-13CB12DBA953.jpeg

FF287AEE-58F3-401A-B508-DF163702C4B7.jpeg

63C31537-080D-4B26-B55C-95A21B5DBB91.jpeg

B3BB8233-3C05-4106-BC56-8BBB2F3AEE0C.jpeg

E3BCF3D7-9060-494E-86A3-8D33BB3CF32D.jpeg

1F027A1D-6F70-45F2-B1D4-E454011A5D64.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/27/2019 at 6:49 PM, PVPAUL said:

Thanks Pequot and Tyrus for your replies. Tyrus after raising 4 kids we’ve finally achieved empty nester status. Since I no longer will be attending my kids baseball games I get to spend most of my time up north where the KK will reside so this is actually the place I do most of my grilling / outdoor cooking. I may find myself wanting another KK back home though (haha).  Opening day of fishing is first weekend in May and plan on staying up north for the rest of the summer through September and October. Our calendar is pretty much booked with family and friends coming up north to enjoy lake living! I haven’t filled in the calendar with respect to meal planning and the wife has informed me that we’ll still go out to dinner once in a while too!!!

Best,

Paul

Oh, what a lucky man he was,,,,,and will continue to be. Well, that looks like the perfect place to start the fire. 4 kids? Jeech, you deserve all you get, congrats