PVPAUL

Soon to be new owner!!!

Hello All, my WiFi went down for a few days so I’ve been delinquent in responding sooner. Yes it has been fun and feel like I still have a big learning curve ahead of me learning how to use the KK. It seems like the air flow is so low that my attempts at using the “Amazin pellet tube” isn’t really working. When trying to do 225 F cooks it almost seems like there isn’t hardly any air flow at all....like the KK is just holding residual temp etc. I’ve been using royal oak lump which seems like it has lots of small pieces so I’m concerned that it may be blocking the air flow a bit. 

So far I’ve cooked Pork Belly burnt ends twice and the second time (today) they were very good. About 3 hours low and slow and there another hour sauced up in the disposable foil pan....like meat candy!!!

I’ve done some Ribs without foil and I think I’m starting to like them with more bite to the bone.... did a spatched cooked chicken two days ago and while it turned out very good it didn’t completely blow me away....hopefully my expectations aren’t too high.

Needless to say I’m still very stoked with learning how to use this amazing grill. Thank you all for your comments.

Tekobo, I tried two different variations on the “pork belly burnt ends” with the first recipe based on a You Tube video from FOGO charcoal people and the one today from Vindulge. 

Tomorrow I’m planning on making a Prime Rib roast Bone In and looking for any suggestions on temp / technique for making this piece of meat.

Thanks again!

Paul

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, PVPAUL said:

It seems like the air flow is so low that my attempts at using the “Amazin pellet tube” isn’t really working. When trying to do 225 F cooks it almost seems like there isn’t hardly any air flow at all....like the KK is just holding residual temp etc. I’ve been using royal oak lump which seems like it has lots of small pieces so I’m concerned that it may be blocking the air flow a bit. 

KK's are so well insulated that the air flow is a bare minimum to maintain low-n-slow temperatures. Because of this products like the Amazin pellet tube doesn't really work. May I suggest the Cold/Hot Smoker from Dennis? It will give you what you're looking for at low-n-slow temperatures. 

I have used RO and it's small pieces for many years without fail. Because KK's have a lump basket and all air must flow through the basket those small pieces will work without issue. With that said there are other lumps on the market that way out perform RO and have a way better mix of pieces straight out of the bag. Compared to a KK, lump costs nothing so don't skimp on the lump. 

Just for reference - I used RO for years even before I bought my first kamado. At this point I'll never buy it again. 

I've done several Prime Rib roasts (although boned). This is the method I use.

Trim, tie and apply chosen rub to roast and refrigerate overnight. On cook day, remove roast to counter to warm slightly (insert temperature probe to monitor), start and heat sink KK to 200°F. Smoke roast on upper grill with chosen woods (I use apple and cherry via the "cold" smoker) to internal temp of 112°F. Pull roast and tent while opening all KK vents to achieve 500° - 550°F dome temp. After removing the temperature probe from the roast, using the sear grate, return the roast and sear all sides, about 1 1/2 minute per side or less. Remove roast, reinsert temp probe (it should be about 120°F at this point), wrap in foil and towel and insert into cooler to allow temp to rise to your chosen doneness (I serve at around 130°-133°F - medium rare).

Prime Rib 2.jpg

Prime Rib 3 Carved.jpg

• Like 6

OK, so I’m still unpacking all of the accessories and working on setting up on the KK. The good news is that I think I have all of the rotisserie accessories working and figured out.

Included with my KK was a part called “Side plate grill hanger”. I mounted this but then realized that it doesn’t work / have the clearance if I’m also using the side table. There were two other different hangers included with the KK and these will hold “grill grates” and grill tools so I’m not to worried....just not sure if I’m missing something here.

In addition I unwrapped the item showing in the picture and I’m guessing it was labeled but now that wrapping is gone. Is something that is used in conjunction with the Pizza / baking stone???

Look forward to hearing back.

Best,

Paul

BC0E8016-69AD-42AC-9C08-392671061E79.jpeg

11 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

OK, so I’m still unpacking all of the accessories and working on setting up on the KK. The good news is that I think I have all of the rotisserie accessories working and figured out.

Included with my KK was a part called “Side plate grill hanger”. I mounted this but then realized that it doesn’t work / have the clearance if I’m also using the side table. There were two other different hangers included with the KK and these will hold “grill grates” and grill tools so I’m not to worried....just not sure if I’m missing something here.

In addition I unwrapped the item showing in the picture and I’m guessing it was labeled but now that wrapping is gone. Is something that is used in conjunction with the Pizza / baking stone???

Look forward to hearing back.

Best,

Paul

BC0E8016-69AD-42AC-9C08-392671061E79.jpeg

That last doodad snaps onto your charcoal basket to support the heat deflector stones. I never use mine.

Not sure what you're referring to with regard to a side plate grill hanger. Do you have a pic?

Pequod, based on what I’ve read of the forum I’ll also end up using the head deflector stones for a walk way step stones. Thanks for your feedback. Attached is a picture of the hardware accessory labeled as “Side Plate Grill Hanger”.

Another question, when in searing mode do folks just use the lower grate? Roughly measured from top of charcoal basket this looks to be about 7-8” which seems pretty far away from the coals.....especially if the coals are burnt down some.

Best,

Paul

F1C2F4A4-36AE-4C10-AE61-A1F074C98CE7.jpeg

37 minutes ago, PVPAUL said:

Pequod, based on what I’ve read of the forum I’ll also end up using the head deflector stones for a walk way step stones. Thanks for your feedback. Attached is a picture of the hardware accessory labeled as “Side Plate Grill Hanger”.

Another question, when in searing mode do folks just use the lower grate? Roughly measured from top of charcoal basket this looks to be about 7-8” which seems pretty far away from the coals.....especially if the coals are burnt down some.

Best,

Paul

F1C2F4A4-36AE-4C10-AE61-A1F074C98CE7.jpeg

Huh...I don't believe I have that hanger. Or if I do, I didn't install it. I use the hangers that attach to the side table mounts.

As far as searing, the upper grate inverted should get you directly over the coals. Just a few inches.

IMG_20180415_170428-2.thumb.jpg.cceee4952723f489f1a5291a56374dda.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I have one of those mounted on the left side of my grill, as I don't have the side tables. It is for hanging grates on it. I don't use it regularly for storage, as I have a cover on my KK and hanging the grates prevents me from putting the cover on. I tend to use it only when taking a hot main grate off the grill to access the lower grill/sear grate for a reverse sear cook.

CKREEF!

Don't leave us hanging like that.    I too have been using RO mainly because it is available locally here.  Also cowboy brand is here.  I do have a bunch of  lump coming with the grill from Dennis.  Where do you buy from and what kinds do you like the best?

3 hours ago, merrill said:

CKREEF!

Don't leave us hanging like that.    I too have been using RO mainly because it is available locally here.  Also cowboy brand is here.  I do have a bunch of  lump coming with the grill from Dennis.  Where do you buy from and what kinds do you like the best?

Any Central America or South America hardwood lump is hands down superior than any American Hardwood lump. South of the equator the trees are just more dense. Anything from Fogo is south of the equator plus free shipping in the lower 48. KJ lump is south of the equator. There are others. 

I'm done with RO and Cowboy. When you spend as much as we do for a kamado spending a few extra dollars on better lump is a very small drop in a large bucket. 

Coco char is the best for extra long low-n-slow. If you got some coffee lump from Dennis you are golden. When you run out look to Fogo. 

I have to agree with you South American lump is a lot more dense.  I really miss Wicked Goods Jake’s blend charcoal.  It was difficult to light but once it got going there’s was no stopping it. It had very little ash after every cook.  The next cook  shake the ash off and there’s still a lot of charcoal leftover  never had to add very much.  To bad Wicked Goods Jake’s blend is no longer in production.   

• Like 1

thanks for the info. 

ftr I have been using mostly Rockport in the past.  There is a very nice grill and saw store in Holt, MI where I can get it.  I do have, I think 4 bags of coconut, coming with the grill from Dennis. I bought ten bags of coconut extruded back in 2005 from RJ, ie  Kamado.  Most of it was moldy and I couldn't use it.  That is when they went out of business.

I did a cookout for 12 people over the 4th. We had chicken, ribs burgers and dogs.  Everybody raved about the food.  It's almost like the old K7 knows it is being replaced and he is doing the best he can to prove his worth.  Hoping to stick around a little longer!  We just had to put one of our dogs, Kirby, down.  He was 19,  blind and deaf and going down very quickly overall.  We scheduled three different dates to have the vet come and put him down and had to put them all off.  Its almost like he knew or suspected something and each time made a stark  improvement.  I kind of feel like that with my old K7 and K3.  Despite all their shortcomings, I am going to miss them.  I will keep the 7 around for the holidays when I can use two cookers.  The K3 is toast.

thanks everybody for sharing all the good info.