Braai-Q

UK Member

Hi KK'ers

I thought I'd introduce myself having been a KK owner for about 5 years now and an infrequent lurker in these parts on and off over that time.

I'm from Southern Africa originally, moved to the UK for university and then moved from Oxford to London and am now in Suffolk (85 miles from London). Which accounts for my forum name - Braai or braai vleis being the equivalent of 'BBQ' in Southern Africa. We live in beautiful open countryside near Lavenham and Harry Potter fans will recognise the medieval town as a filming location. Suffolk is fantastic for fresh, high quality produce and a lot of it finds its way onto my KK with not much more than a food mile or two.

My KK journey if I can call it that started with a 19" high top for the house in London as my hallway was 1.2cm too narrow to get the 23" into the house and out into the back garden. It was a dark day when I made that discovery. You're probably questioning my commitment at this point if, like me, you've seen any of the videos where Big Bads are lifted into place by crane. Unfortunately, we lived near Liverpool Street (within the square mile of the financial district) and we had both an overhead power and fibre optic junction outside our house. We were told that we had to disable the power as it was too dangerous to move a crane so close to them. Then we were told that we'd need to take lines down to allow the crane to make the pass over the roof. We were then told we could only do it on a Sunday. The work estimate was put at around £7,500 - £10,000 with everyone on double time for Sunday of course. My wife told me that the 19" would do just fine and grudgingly, I agreed.

Years on, we now live in the countryside and have settled in sufficient to look at redevelopment and creation of a proper BBQ area so I'm getting a second bite at the cherry. Which is what brings me back to the forum. As much as I love the 19" and the inimitable KK quality, it was always a compromise so I'm putting an order in with Dennis for a 23" Ultimate which is what I wanted to order originally. I am currently debating choice of colour and have been chatting to Dennis over the week around options. My current KK is in a black pebble finish and I really like the reptilian look of pebble and I'm looking at Olive & Gold or Harvest Gold.

Happy to share plans for our outdoor kitchen area if it's of interest or inspiration to anyone and of course, if anyone in the UK is considering a KK, they're most welcome to come take a look at mine. 

If anyone has any pictures of their Olive & Gold or Harvest Gold KK's, I'd love to see them. 

That's me. Hello! 

Alex

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

Thanks Charles. Thrilled to grill. You lost me on ODK but I've not had enough coffee so not quite at optimal performance. 😴

ODK - outdoor kitchen :)

BTW I have a 19" and 16" KK. Works fine for me and Mrs skreef. Of course I have a few other BBQ toys to supplement those. 

Quite the story Alex of a few cm and a bureaucratic conodrum separating you from your dream. Alas, alls well that ends well. Save the 19 in for your narrow boat travels up and down the canals, as they say, i think it would be smashing. One last thing, stay out of the shadows and drop a line once in a while, enjoy the 23 and give our best to the Queen.....she's got a 23 too,royal blue

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

ODK - outdoor kitchen :)

BTW I have a 19" and 16" KK. Works fine for me and Mrs skreef. Of course I have a few other BBQ toys to supplement those. 

Thanks Charles. Feeling a bit dumb now. I'm conditioned to ODK as an abbreviation for something in software development. Now functioning with coffee. 

I am trying to cull the number of BBQs we have but what have you got besides the KK duo? 

4 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Quite the story Alex of a few cm and a bureaucratic conodrum separating you from your dream. Alas, alls well that ends well. Save the 19 in for your narrow boat travels up and down the canals, as they say, i think it would be smashing. One last thing, stay out of the shadows and drop a line once in a while, enjoy the 23 and give our best to the Queen.....she's got a 23 too,royal blue

I'm not so sure about the narrow boat travels but I think we'd make better progress going via canal these days than in London traffic. I love the idea of travelling down the canals with a 42" Bad Boy on the back tormenting the runners down the tow path with the smells of heavenly BBQ. 

Definitely out of the shadows and not sure why I didn't sign up sooner. I'm a member of a lot of different interest groups and forums and I always try to contribute and share experiences where I can because I've benefitted from and made some great friendships in places like this over the years. 

I shall pass your best wishes to the Queen and her Q. 

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Welcome, Alex. :-D You just know that we'd be interested to hear and see pixs of your ODK, before, during and after the construction. Lots of KK'ers have more than one KK and I think you will find that it is great to have  the 19 and the 23. :smt060

Thanks for the welcome MacKenzie. I will share my plans in a separate post although they keep changing. Unfortunately, Mrs Braai-Q has a strictly enforced 'one in one out' policy which applies to all of my vices. I think I'll be offering the 19" up for sale to offset the purchase of the new one as with all the building work we're doing, our bank account is being ritually violated and ransacked. 😮

27 minutes ago, tony b said:

Never forget the 1st rule of remodeling - "How do you know when your contractor is lying to you? His lips are moving!" :smt043

😂😂 The voice of experience speaks. Don't get me started! In fairness, most of the people I've got on board now are decent and conscientious. I can spot the charlatans at estimate stage generally. 

2 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

I am trying to cull the number of BBQs we have but what have you got besides the KK duo? 

The full lineup:

19" KK 

16" KK 

Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle 

LG 30" Konro Yakitori grill 

Wood fired oven 

2 burner 18" propane griddle 

Propane outdoor wok (rarely gets used) 

Akorn Jr (almost never gets used)

The wood fired oven and the Konro are the two fun grills. 

2 kamados is a requirement so you can cook at 2 different temperatures. I thought everyone knew that - J/K - but not really ;)

For me it's not one in - one out. It's more of a where can I put the next grill? I'm pretty much out of space now but I'm sure if the right grill came around I'd figure out where to put it. Mrs skreef probably wouldn't agree to another grill but that hasn't stopped me yet - LOL 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

The full lineup:

19" KK 

16" KK 

Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle 

LG 30" Konro Yakitori grill 

Wood fired oven 

2 burner 18" propane griddle 

Propane outdoor wok (rarely gets used) 

Akorn Jr (almost never gets used)

The wood fired oven and the Konro are the two fun grills. 

2 kamados is a requirement so you can cook at 2 different temperatures. I thought everyone knew that - J/K - but not really ;)

For me it's not one in - one out. It's more of a where can I put the next grill? I'm pretty much out of space now but I'm sure if the right grill came around I'd figure out where to put it. Mrs skreef probably wouldn't agree to another grill but that hasn't stopped me yet - LOL 

I have a car habit and there are times when I feel like going for a drive and I have a debate as to what to take. I imagine this is the dilemma you face when it comes to which BBQ to use! 😮

I have a Cadac Mini Chef (we use this when we go to the beach), a 19" KK, soon to be a 23" KK and a Weber Summit S670 which proved to be an utterly disappointing waste of time. The Weber is out with a boot and the 19" will go as well simply due to the duplication. It deserves to be loved and with a 23", I know it won't be.

Mrs skreef is a very understanding lady. I'm going to save your post as I think it'll come in useful when I'm negotiating with Mrs Braai-Q on the next entrant! See dear, we could be discussing an 8 grill line up....😂

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

the 19" will go as well simply due to the duplication.

Unless it's a matter of economics, punt all the other grills before you part with the 19" KK - as ckreef says, it's often nice to have the 2nd one to do other things at a different temperature, so the 23" KK isn't really a duplicate. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Hi there Alex.  A fellow UK KK'er here.  I have a 21 KK and a 23 KK.  The thing that may change your perspective on whether your 19 will be unloved when the 23 arrives is your ODK.  I found that the revelation that you can "switch" a KK on and off when you need it and having an ODK meant that we shifted from the usual UK model of 5 or so BBQs a year to cooking outdoors all year round - at least twice a week in the summer and at least once a week all through the winter.  I just don't bother roasting meat in my IDK anymore and have been exploring starters, desserts and everything in between with my KK.  The type of cooking that stops you having to flit between IDK and ODK generally warrants a two cooker combo.  

Hard to say what choice I would make if I had my decision again.  I love the 22 TT and the 42 and might like that combo if I had no space restrictions.  I shudder to think of having only one KK but if I was going to go down to a single KK I would definitely go for a 32.  Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.  

Kemi

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Unless it's a matter of economics, punt all the other grills before you part with the 19" KK - as ckreef says, it's often nice to have the 2nd one to do other things at a different temperature, so the 23" KK isn't really a duplicate. Just sayin'

I think the problem I have is that a 19" table top requires a surface to raise it to a useful working height and I could buy the argument if it was a 21" which wasn't available at the time I bought the 19". But it means that I have to build up a plinth. Truth is, I've never wanted for capacity - it's not like I've had to cut a suckling pig in half and we are generally cooking for 2-6 people. Although I do like your suggestion of different temperatures, something that I hadn't really thought of as much.

32 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Hi there Alex.  A fellow UK KK'er here.  I have a 21 KK and a 23 KK.  The thing that may change your perspective on whether your 19 will be unloved when the 23 arrives is your ODK.  I found that the revelation that you can "switch" a KK on and off when you need it and having an ODK meant that we shifted from the usual UK model of 5 or so BBQs a year to cooking outdoors all year round - at least twice a week in the summer and at least once a week all through the winter.  I just don't bother roasting meat in my IDK anymore and have been exploring starters, desserts and everything in between with my KK.  The type of cooking that stops you having to flit between IDK and ODK generally warrants a two cooker combo.  

Hard to say what choice I would make if I had my decision again.  I love the 22 TT and the 42 and might like that combo if I had no space restrictions.  I shudder to think of having only one KK but if I was going to go down to a single KK I would definitely go for a 32.  Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.  

Kemi

Hey Kemi

I was hoping there would be someone else in the UK to compare notes on supplies. It's harder to have an ODK in the UK as you know and I think my view on what I'd like versus what will be practical is changing.

I have never been part of the '5 a year and lighter fuel to get it started club'. I'm known by pretty much everyone in my social circle as the 'Adventure BBQer' on account of the fact that I'll head outside in the worst weather with tongs and a plate of food to be cooked. Having a closed BBQ and cooking in all weather isn't a challenge and we had several neighbours round for a Snow BBQ last year in the worst of the snow. They thought I was joking and two phoned to check that I hadn't got my dates wrong. Our Christmas turkey was done in the KK too and guests were disconcerted by the absence of the turkey in the kitchen. 😮

I appreciate the advice, I think it comes down to who you're catering for and what you're cooking. We're not doing masses of food nor am I cooking whole animals (other than chicken or a turkey at Christmas) and 80% of the time, it's just my wife and I. Generally, we'll have another 2-8 at the extreme end. With 44" of KK at your disposal, how are you using them and what finishes did you go for on the two?

I'm stocking up on charcoal at the moment and have gotten mine from Lord Logs for years supplemented by BGE as there is a local stockist. What do you use and do you have a preferred supplier?

I'm going to post up a thread on the kitchen once I've done some design sketches and see what everyone thinks. Forums are great for advice and inspiring new ways to empty your bank account!! 😂

Alex

• Like 1