Braai-Q

UK Member

2 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Good work on the chicken, I think you're an honorary African for that level of commitment.

You're the second southern African who has welcomed me to the African family today.  I am super happy because I decided to try to contact the South African butcher by email and it turns out he is doing stuff for friends and family and I am part of his African friends and family group so I may yet get access to his marinades and/or flatties.  Just figuring out if he will do mail order.  Hurrah!

Oh yes, and I am a card carrying African too. From Lagos, Nigeria.  

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

You're the second southern African who has welcomed me to the African family today.  I am super happy because I decided to try to contact the South African butcher by email and it turns out he is doing stuff for friends and family and I am part of his African friends and family group so I may yet get access to his marinades and/or flatties.  Just figuring out if he will do mail order.  Hurrah!

Good work! Did you give him a choice though? 🤣 

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Oh yes, and I am a card carrying African too. From Lagos, Nigeria.  

I thought you had a Nigerian connection from your name and then I saw your Suya thread the other day. Talking of which, have you ever tried sosaties? Probably the Southern African equivalent of Suya.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Talking of which, have you ever tried sosaties? Probably the Southern African equivalent of Suya.

Now that is interesting.  I've never heard of sosaties.  I just took a look in my only South African cookbook, "Cape Town Food", and there is no reference there.  The online recipes for sosaties talk about meat with cinnamon spicing and apricot on the kebab stick. Definitely an interesting twist on a kebab.  On the list to try this summer, for sure.  

Edited by tekobo

3 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Now that is interesting.  I've never heard of sosaties.  I just took a look in my only South African cookbook, "Cape Town Food", and there is no reference there.  The online recipes for sosaties talk about meat with cinnamon spicing and apricot on the kebab stick. Definitely an interesting twist on a kebab.  On the list to try this summer, for sure.  

It's Cape Malay originated, a bit like Bobotie where there is more sweetness in the food. When doing volumes of kebabs, I quite like having a sweet and a spicy option. The last spicy kebabs I did, I used Jamaican Curry Powder and Scotch Bonnet (which I borrowed from a Goat Curry recipe I use) and then adapted from there. It was lovely but you have to like spice. I don't know what goes into Jamaican Curry Powder but the Turmeric must be on steroids, it stains everything and I often joke that it'll stain stainless steel! You can add some heat in and stay authentic to a good sosatie recipe as the spice blends are similar.

8 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

It's Cape Malay originated, a bit like Bobotie where there is more sweetness in the food. When doing volumes of kebabs, I quite like having a sweet and a spicy option. The last spicy kebabs I did, I used Jamaican Curry Powder and Scotch Bonnet (which I borrowed from a Goat Curry recipe I use) and then adapted from there. It was lovely but you have to like spice.

Cool.  It would be really good to see some posts of your food.  I remember @ckreef saying he was looking forward to some "strange" food when I explained that I am African.  It is my honour to pass on the compliment - get some strange onto this site!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Cool.  It would be really good to see some posts of your food.  I remember @ckreef saying he was looking forward to some "strange" food when I explained that I am African.  It is my honour to pass on the compliment - get some strange onto this site!

I'm happy to oblige. Although 'strange' isn't a descriptive I'd like used in relation to my cooking. How about we setup a thread for awesome African recipes on the KK?