Keith B

Pepperberries

I got an email from Sally at http://pepperberry.net.au/ and she said the freeze dried pepperberries (aka purple crack) were available again so I ordered a kilo of them.  They are out for delivery today :smt038 I have ordered from them in the past.  They are easy to work with and the previous orders have been great.  I need to keep this order locked up because as soon as my family and friends find out that I have resupplied they will be at my door looking for handouts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I got an email from Sally at http://pepperberry.net.au/ and she said the freeze dried pepperberries (aka purple crack) were available again so I ordered a kilo of them.  They are out for delivery today :smt038 I have ordered from them in the past.  They are easy to work with and the previous orders have been great.  I need to keep this order locked up because as soon as my family and friends find out that I have resupplied they will be at my door looking for handouts!
Awesome I just flicked her an email .they only had fresh last time I enquired. Cross your fingers tony b. and creef.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BalconySmoken said:

Sounds like you guys like this stuff: so you recommend? If so I’ll try to order some to my Sydney office and pick it up when I am back next. 

I don't use black pepper anymore (I guess there's still some in the house, somewhere). Almost exclusively purple crack berries. It does bleed a little purple color into your dish so I do have some white pepper corns for things like a cream sauce if I want it to remain bright white. 

• Like 1

Have tried it on a number of things with good result. It's an acquired taste , like a good Scotch. I've wondered how it would fair on brisket as a substitute for regular pepper doing it Texas style.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet on this experiment, has anyone tried?

• Like 2

All system are GO. Ordered and payed for 3kgs today .thanks Keith .b for posting .last month Sally flicked me and email saying they had a limited supply and offered me fresh berries. I just asummed they did not have enough to air dry considering all the crap they have been through. And just forgot about it seeing as though I still have a stash. Lol. Price is up but understandable.

• Like 2

Have tried it on a number of things with good result. It's an acquired taste , like a good Scotch. I've wondered how it would fair on brisket as a substitute for regular pepper doing it Texas style.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet on this experiment, has anyone tried?
I've done it on beef ribs and it holds its flare and taste. sure it would work on brisket .

• Like 1

The Purple Crack arrived today concealed in newspaper lol. 4ce92beb041ee4e9cb4046fec10fced6.jpg. I asked Alimac if he wanted to go halves with me seeing as though the last lot has lasted me for ages. Split it up. 0ed3f415826391e79b1dfa64d84adeb3.jpg. And vacuumed sealed his half. 41ff0e500c88d9b3b66f3b46084f804f.jpg. There was nothing in the bowl except minute hairs when I went to wash the bowl Wow. 728186f6b3ab82d0d7e31dff72b5b803.jpg.shows you how fresh this is, tony b and ckreef will be sending your bags shortly

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

The Purple Crack arrived today concealed in newspaper lol. 4ce92beb041ee4e9cb4046fec10fced6.jpg. I asked Alimac if he wanted to go halves with me seeing as though the last lot has lasted me for ages. Split it up. 0ed3f415826391e79b1dfa64d84adeb3.jpg. And vacuumed sealed his half. 41ff0e500c88d9b3b66f3b46084f804f.jpg. There was nothing in the bowl except minute hairs when I went to wash the bowl Wow. 728186f6b3ab82d0d7e31dff72b5b803.jpg.shows you how fresh this is, tony b and ckreef will be sending your bags shortly

Awesome Aussie. I have a few items gathered up to send your way too. 

• Like 1

Keith, Aussie and others, thanks for the heads up on this purple crack.

I placed an order and it arrived today. I couldn't help myself, had to pop one whole.

Tastes like wattle seed, the smell reminds me of the australian bush.... and gin....... Weird, almost has a juniper berry smell.

What's amazing though, is I am drinking a cup of tea, and the next sip after popping a berry, my tea tastes like it has 3 teaspoons of sugar. My tea is black with no sugar.

This tasmanian pepper berry changes your palate. The last time I experienced this was with some Miracle Fruit we used to grow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

When we popped this fruit then sucked on a lemon, it made the lemon taste like lemon sherbert. Red wine taste like port. They were using the miracle fruit in cancer wards where kids had to swallow very bitter medicine. The miracle fruit sweetened the medicine. Small relief.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Basher said:

Keith, Aussie and others, thanks for the heads up on this purple crack.

I placed an order and it arrived today. I couldn't help myself, had to pop one whole.

Congratulations - You are now an official member of the purple crack berry alumni. It was the popping of a whole crack berry in your mouth that cemented your place in this exclusive club :)

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

Congratulations - You are now an official member of the purple crack berry alumni. It was the popping of a whole crack berry in your mouth that cemented your place in this exclusive club :) 

@Basher Indeed, you passed the initiation test and are now a certified member of the Purple Crack Gang! Did you notice the slight numbing sensation, similar to cloves and Szechuan peppercorns? Yes, I've had the miracle berry. It's a very strange sensation, as well. 

As a cautionary note, go easy on it on that venison, as it is a quite strong flavor and can quickly overwhelm the food. Use it as you would fresh cracked black pepper or red chile flakes.  

Edited by tony b