Braai-Q

Temperature Measurement - Probes, Apps

8 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

I'd have to wait for shipping which was said to be Q2 which is a bit vague.

8 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

I must be honest, the language of the Meater was a bit off putting, referring to the end of the probe as 'the pointy end' and some of the language in the interface seems to cater to people who if they need that sort of dumbing down, probably shouldn't be near fire.

Tee hee.  Don't talk about Meater, vague and fire in any posts that @ckreef might read.  Very very sore point about how long it took the Meater folk to deliver the original probe and then start to fulfil Block orders, having held on to their backers' money for months and going on years.  These posts reminded me to prod my brother in the US to see if the Meater Block that he bought for me, as a surprise, about a year and a half ago is anywhere near being delivered.  The Block is the one to get in my view but don't bank on it arriving anytime soon.  In the meantime, you can waste money like me, buying stuff that will meet an imagined or real need.  

To clarify, Meater did send me an announcement several months ago about buying the Meater+ charger which improves the range, which I did. I just haven’t had a need to use it since it arrived. I’m comfortable with my Smoke for most cooks which need close monitoring. I do think it is a good concept and will defer to those who have used the Meater+ as to its current range.

41 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Tee hee.  Don't talk about Meater, vague and fire in any posts that @ckreef might read.  Very very sore point about how long it took the Meater folk to deliver the original probe and then start to fulfil Block orders, having held on to their backers' money for months and going on years.  These posts reminded me to prod my brother in the US to see if the Meater Block that he bought for me, as a surprise, about a year and a half ago is anywhere near being delivered.  The Block is the one to get in my view but don't bank on it arriving anytime soon.  In the meantime, you can waste money like me, buying stuff that will meet an imagined or real need.  

Oh I'm following along alright. Just leaving it alone on that front. I had ordered the Meater Block. Eventually the offered me two Meater+ units instead. I took them up on that. I gave one of the Meater+ units away. The other one I've only used a handful of times. Really the only cook I would use it on in the future would be rotisserie prime rib or similar beef cut. I've cooked enough rotisserie chicken at this point I don't use a probe of any kind for it. 

18 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

What do you call 'very long cooks' - I tend to do 12-14 hour at most so trying to understand where a controller comes into its own. 

Anything longer than 3 or 4 hours is when I consider using the Guru, especially if I need to leave the house during the cook.

18 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Thanks Keith. Interesting to hear about the Meater Block. I'd have to wait for it and it's a Thermoworks Smoke vs Meater Block debate for me but the app/wireless is swinging it for me. Problem is as I'm not a backer of the KS, I'd have to wait for shipping which was said to be Q2 which is a bit vague.

If you have a Meater+ and get a Block, can you run 5 probes? I've tried to determine an answer from the website and downloaded the app as well but it won't play until it finds hardware. 

I must be honest, the language of the Meater was a bit off putting, referring to the end of the probe as 'the pointy end' and some of the language in the interface seems to cater to people who if they need that sort of dumbing down, probably shouldn't be near fire.

I would expect the Meater+ and the block to work independently from each other but I can not say that for sure.  I backed the campaign over two years ago and had given up on it until I got the shipping notice.  I can say that any shipping time prediction should be taken with a grain of salt.  We were promised the product repeatedly over the last couple of years.  

I was commenting above about my experience with the block.  It seems solid but if I had to have something soon, I would have no issues with any Thermoworks product.

18 hours ago, ckreef said:

Oh I'm following along alright. Just leaving it alone on that front. I had ordered the Meater Block. Eventually the offered me two Meater+ units instead. I took them up on that. I gave one of the Meater+ units away. The other one I've only used a handful of times. Really the only cook I would use it on in the future would be rotisserie prime rib or similar beef cut. I've cooked enough rotisserie chicken at this point I don't use a probe of any kind for it. 

I've had a couple of Kickstarters like that. I've ordered a Meater+ and I reckon that's all I need at the moment. I'll report back.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

I would expect the Meater+ and the block to work independently from each other but I can not say that for sure.  I backed the campaign over two years ago and had given up on it until I got the shipping notice.  I can say that any shipping time prediction should be taken with a grain of salt.  We were promised the product repeatedly over the last couple of years.  

I was commenting above about my experience with the block.  It seems solid but if I had to have something soon, I would have no issues with any Thermoworks product.

I was more thinking whether I could buy individual probes to build out a set to my spec. The block is cheaper for four though but I don't want the independent controller unit.