Pequod

Talk Me Out Of It

So...there's a small but finite chance I'll be selling my 23.

Why? Now that we're empty nesters and have been living and working in the Type A DC suburbs for 25 years (where traffic and people have only gotten nuttier over time...and much more orange...), we're thinking it's time to "semi"-retire somewhere a bit more calm...probably about 2-3 hours away from here, tucked a bit into the Blue Ridge. Currently working to swing a "remote" work deal with my current employer, but if that doesn't happen I know of other ways to make this work. Planning on making this transition by next spring.

We've been taking inventory of what would come with us, what would be sold, and what would be donated. The 32 definitely makes the "move" list, but the 23 may be on the "sell" list. It just doesn't get used nearly as much as the 32, which is the perfect grill for our needs. Love the 23 too, just not as much. <_<

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1. You can always sell the 23 after you move if you truly don't end up needing it. 2. Probably more difficult to replace it if you've sold it and then end up regretting it. 3. You are probably already going to be using a moving van; what trouble is one more KK going to cause? 4. You can pack some your accessories in it during the move which don't fit into the 32. 5. There is definitely the pride of having two KKs in your ODK. 6. Since you are moving, it will certainly help with the introduction to your new neighbors. 7. Some might think slightly less of you (probably only a very few people and only slightly less at that, but of course, not me, no, certainly not) if you abandon a perfectly good 23 KK.

How do those reasons work for you? :smt006

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One reason to sell here vs. there is that folks in Northern VA have much more disposable income. It would likely fetch a much higher price if sold locally. That said, Northern Virginians aren’t worthy of such a fine grill...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Patek Phillipe watches are advertised with the strapline: "You are only looking after it for the next generation"

You can take this in any number of directions:

1.  Be generous and give it to one of your kids so they don't have to stumble through a lifetime of substandard grills.

2.  Be cunning and tell each of your children that they will be getting KK1 or KK2 or yet to be bought KK3 in your will.  Keep them keen and looking after you and your KKs in your old age.

3.  Be frivolous, sell the KK and buy yourself a watch.

The choice is yours.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I often thought if i ever decided to move i would sell my kk and buy a new one so i could have it delivered where the new house was plus it would be new

so my 2 cents sell them both and buy new

cant talk you out of it if you arent using the 23 much as you have been i guess selling is the best option seems like the 32 is the go to grill now

best of luck on semi retiring

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stile88 said:

I often thought if i ever decided to move i would sell my kk and buy a new one so i could have it delivered where the new house was plus it would be new

so my 2 cents sell them both and buy new

cant talk you out of it if you arent using the 23 much as you have been i guess selling is the best option seems like the 32 is the go to grill now

best of luck on semi retiring

Have considered that option too. Kind of comes down to the cost of moving vs. the cost of selling and buying new. When I bought my 23, I actually checked with a local household mover to see what they would charge to move it to my back yard due to the slope it had to go down to get there. The quote was ridiculous, well over $1k and it wasn’t even leaving my property. If I can’t move them myself or get it done cheaply, then they both might get sold here and replaced there. 

• Like 2

Too bad, so sad you have to part with a prized possession but, on the the other side the destination sounds as if it may make the loss easier to overcome. Looks like the beginnings of down sizing, trading off a few things ain't so bad. When it all plays out the only things you'll miss are the memories...and you'll be makin more. So whats this about,,trying to talk you out of moving or selling the 23, heck you only live once, might as well see as much as you can and enjoy all the toys you can get your hands on. If you have to part with one now and again let it go.Did you know Pequod was the whaling ship that sailed to capture Moby Dick, I'm sure you did. It was a sailing ship that constantly was in motion and changing direction in pursuit of it's goal so, in keeping with that tradition all I can is bon voyage and don't sell cheap.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Did you know Pequod was the whaling ship that sailed to capture Moby Dick, I'm sure you did. It was a sailing ship that constantly was in motion and changing direction in pursuit of it's goal so, in keeping with that tradition all I can is bon voyage and don't sell cheap.

Yup. That’s how I wound up with this screen name. Joined a forum and had to choose a name, so looked at my bookshelf and there was Moby Dick. Queequeg? Nah. Starbuck? Sounds too much like bad coffee. Pequod! Ahab’s ship! Adrift in search of a great white whale. Sounds about right. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Pequod said:

Yup. That’s how I wound up with this screen name. Joined a forum and had to choose a name, so looked at my bookshelf and there was Moby Dick. Queequeg? Nah. Starbuck? Sounds too much like bad coffee. Pequod! Ahab’s ship! Adrift in search of a great white whale. Sounds about right. 

And all this time I thought it was for Pequod's Pizza in Chicago....silly me!  :-D

• Haha 3