Pequod

Talk Me Out Of It

On 5/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, Pequod said:

Where I'm intending to go, a goat would fit right in.

So happy to hear that your employer is on board.  A little more worried that we might have a disconnect when it comes to the exact nature of the goat.  In my paradigm the goat is dead and prepared for your inaugural 42 cook.  Your note above seems to imply the goat might have feelings and actually be alive on arrival.  I could go with that.  You just have to fulfil your part of the deal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Put a hold on a lot in a tiny town near the head of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unless we chicken out (mmmmm...chicken...) we’ll have a contract on a new build by end of week. We’re downsizing a bit. Very likely I’ll sell my 23 before we go. So...help me price it. How much should I be able to fetch for the following:

Olive & Gold Pebble 23

Teak side tables

Sunbrella Cover

Rotisserie Cradle

Rotisserie Spit Rod

Double bottom drip pan

Baking Stone

Warming Grate

Haven’t added it up, but that’s gotta be around $5500 worth of equipment, all well cared for. Whatcha think? 

• Like 1

I bought a lightly used 23" 5yrs old for $3,000.

no cover, no drip pan, no upper rack, no stone.

warming grate was not invented at that time.

I am selling a different 23" for $3,500 OBO which has all the grates and drip pans with it along with a new cover and updated front draft door.

with what you have there, maybe $4,500?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tucker said:

I bought a lightly used 23" 5yrs old for $3,000.

no cover, no drip pan, no upper rack, no stone.

warming grate was not invented at that time.

I am selling a different 23" for $3,500 OBO which has all the grates and drip pans with it along with a new cover and updated front draft door.

with what you have there, maybe $4,500?

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. 

Forgot a couple o' things from the original list:

• Olive & Gold Pebble 23
  • Teak side tables
  • Sunbrella Cover
  • Rotisserie Cradle
  • Rotisserie Spit Rod
  • Double bottom drip pan
  • Baking Stone
  • Warming Grate
  • Extra Charcoal Basket
  • Basket Splitter

$4500 it shall be. Stay tuned...probably list as soon as I have a contract on the new place.

Good to hear that your new life is starting to become a reality @Pequod.  I looked at your list and suspect I would have found the teak side tables and extra charcoal basket useful if I was anywhere nearby AND you were willing to split the lot. Wouldn't make sense to split it, I know.  What I then wondered was whether there was anything on that list that you never used and would not bother to buy if you were starting over. 

Speaking of starting over, the $4,500 would be a really good seed fund for a goat enabled KK.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Good to hear that your new life is starting to become a reality @Pequod.  I looked at your list and suspect I would have found the teak side tables and extra charcoal basket useful if I was anywhere nearby AND you were willing to split the lot. Wouldn't make sense to split it, I know.  What I then wondered was whether there was anything on that list that you never used and would not bother to buy if you were starting over. 

Speaking of starting over, the $4,500 would be a really good seed fund for a goat enabled KK.  

Two things I wouldn't buy again: double bottom drip pan (used it once) and rotisserie cradle (I like the spit rod much, much more). Everything else gets a big thumbs up.

A portion of that $4500 is likely to go to restoration of one of my hibernating hobbies -- astronomy. Used to have a decent telescope, but the Washington, DC area is too light polluted to see anything without driving an hour or two. Thinking I'd like to do some astrophotography from my nice, dark back yard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pequod said:

A portion of that $4500 is likely to go to restoration of one of my hibernating hobbies -- astronomy. Used to have a decent telescope, but the Washington, DC area is too light polluted to see anything without driving an hour or two. Thinking I'd like to do some astrophotography from my nice, dark back yard.

I used to be into astrophotography big time. Have some really awesome pictures from that adventure. Hopefully when I retire years from now I can get into it again. 

BTW you can basically kiss that $4500 goodbye to get a reasonably decent setup (if you spend wisely). I think I was into it for about $10k. 

54 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I used to be into astrophotography big time. Have some really awesome pictures from that adventure. Hopefully when I retire years from now I can get into it again. 

BTW you can basically kiss that $4500 goodbye to get a reasonably decent setup (if you spend wisely). I think I was into it for about $10k. 

Yep! Have a Dobsonian reflector and some nice eye pieces from my first go at it and always wanted to do astrophotography, but put that on hold until I could move somewhere dark. 

But that first attempt wasn’t a total loss. My daughter was a preschooler at the time and apparently loved those nights out so much that now she’s a physics and astronomy major, planning on an astrophysics Ph.D. I’ll give her the Dob if/when I acquire a new setup.

• Like 3