Basher

BBQ Guru CyberQ verse Smartfire

14 minutes ago, Basher said:

Has anyone used both these temp controllers?

This is not meant to be a USA product verse an Aussie product.... Although I will buy the Smartfire if they are same same products.

Smartfire https://smartfirebbq.com/

CyberQ https://www.bbqguru.com/info/CyberQ

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming the Smartfire fits into the KK portal?

Never heard of it, but that's probably not a safe assumption. The KK Guru Port fits BBQ Guru fans. Others will fit only if they conform to the Guru "standard" or there is an adaptor.

I have been putting this question out amongst a few BBQ tech mates and one came back to me with this. Obviously a Smartfire user and fan.

Can the CyberQ fans challenge this research? Bold represents perceived differences.

Smartfire Features:

·        Professional grade temperature monitoring and pit control.

·        Bluetooth Low Energy capability has been added to make setup easier and provide convenient connectivity on the road, whether competing, catering or camping where internet reception is limited.

• (Guru doesn’t have Bluetooth)

·        Designed for convenience, Internet connectivity when connected via WiFi means you can keep tabs on progress remotely via the Smartfire app

• (Smartfire were the first to develop internet/cloud connectivity, the founders background is IT, they understand high availability high volume IT systems (think online banking) The platform is cloud based with automatic scaling so they don’t have outages due to insufficient server resources on Thanksgiving and Christmas etc like Guru and Fireboard do.)

·        Smartfire regulates the BBQ temperature by automatically controlling the smoker airflow supply so you can walk away without adjusting vents

·        Integrated controller and fan unit - it's smaller, easier to store and has minimal wires to get tangled

• Guru is multiple physical units. Their history is having a LCD screen, smartfire history is a native Smartphone app (which is now 3 major generations and 4 years old)

·        Smartfire features a variable speed fan control with an engineered fan throughput to enable SmartAir small puffs of air to maintain target temp - they don't suffer from 'see saw' temperature spikes and dips and get rock solid temperatures!

• Guru fan is either on or off and its large, so isn’t as accurate as Smartfire or able to maintain regular airflow

·        Advanced control via temperature ramping to avoid overshoot, open lid detection to prevent flare up and temperature graphing to watch progress

• Smartfire is a newer product with advanced robust technology.

·        Easy USB power (i.e. no outdoor power required if you have a power bank) that is convenient worldwide whether at home, camping or competing.

• Guru uses 12v so get ready to drag around a large deep cycle battery if you don’t have mains power where your smoker is (let alone if you do competition or catering)

The other point is price. Smartfire is marginally cheaper

I have the cyber Q and have never had an issue with their cloud system.

The fan is variable speed and runs at 0% to 100% and anywhere in between. It does a really good job ramping up to temp and holding a flat line. 

Having said that, if the other features are a need for you, I wouldn't hesitate to get the smartfire. My cyberQ uses AC power and I don't carry my KK camping.

It would be interesting to see their app. If it is easier to use or has extra features, that could pull me over.

• Like 1

Repeating myself, but make sure it fits the guru port on the KK.

I'm not 100% sure I like the idea of the fan and controller being melded into a single unit. I've had fans fail before. I can replace them for about $10. I'd hate to have to replace the entire unit just because the fan broke.

I got my CyberQ yesterday and gave it a 6 hour test last night. At 250* it held with +/- 4* tollarance. More than acceptable. I do believe how much it varies will depend on how dense the lump you used is and  where the grate probe is located compared to the fire. (that will hold true regardless of controller) 

5v would be slightly more convenient. With that said I did purchase a relatively small car jump starter for when the CyberQ goes on vacation. I'm quite certain with a good bit of research I could have bought a much smaller 12v supply. 

CyberQ having a bunch of extra wires (that's what it sounds like they were implying) is just not true. They all have a power cord, a pit probe, and at least one food probe. The CyberQ has only one extra wire, fan power. 

The CyberQ does not have Bluetooth - that is true. What it does have is three different modes of operation:

1) stand alone using the built in screen/menus. 

2) wifi hot spot. No router/cloud needed. Your smart device will connect directly to the unit through a web browser. They say range is about 50'. I didn't test the range. 

3) full connection through a router to the cloud software. Worked well for me without dropping off. 

One of the biggest advantages to the CyberQ (although not really for KK users) is it has multiple adapters for a large selection of grills/smokers. Also has a larger fan option when you want to use it on a really LG grill/smoker. 

With all that said if the Smartfire fan plugs straight into the KK Guru port you probably can't go wrong with either unit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I got my CyberQ yesterday and gave it a 6 hour test last night. At 250* it held with +/- 4* tollarance. More than acceptable. I do believe how much it varies will depend on how dense the lump you used is and  where the grate probe is located compared to the fire. (that will hold true regardless of controller) 

5v would be slightly more convenient. With that said I did purchase a relatively small car jump starter for when the CyberQ goes on vacation. I'm quite certain with a good bit of research I could have bought a much smaller 12v supply. 

CyberQ having a bunch of extra wires (that's what it sounds like they were implying) is just not true. They all have a power cord, a pit probe, and at least one food probe. The CyberQ has only one extra wire, fan power. 

The CyberQ does not have Bluetooth - that is true. What it does have is three different modes of operation:

1) stand alone using the built in screen/menus. 

2) wifi hot spot. No router/cloud needed. Your smart device will connect directly to the unit through a web browser. They say range is about 50'. I didn't test the range. 

3) full connection through a router to the cloud software. Worked well for me without dropping off. 

One of the biggest advantages to the CyberQ (although not really for KK users) is it has multiple adapters for a large selection of grills/smokers. Also has a larger fan option when you want to use it on a really LG grill/smoker. 

With all that said if the Smartfire fan plugs straight into the KK Guru port you probably can't go wrong with either unit. 

Thanks for this feedback.

so point 1 is the guru solution when internet connection is limited? It still works, just less sexy feedback through hard wired screen.

both have different adapters for different smokers, however, the guru list is more comprehensive. Both fit the KK.

and there no way I’d be packing up a KK for a camping trip 🏋🏼‍♀️

31 minutes ago, Basher said:

Thanks for this feedback.

so point 1 is the guru solution when internet connection is limited? It still works, just less sexy feedback through hard wired screen.

both have different adapters for different smokers, however, the guru list is more comprehensive. Both fit the KK.

and there no way I’d be packing up a KK for a camping trip 🏋🏼‍♀️

Point 3 is full internet access. 

Point 2 is you have a smart device but no internet access 

Point 1 is more of a final backup incase something happens to point 2 or 3.

Yea I agree even my 16" would be a bit heavy to take on vacation. I solved that problem by getting a Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle. 

Hi All,

I brought the smart fire today. I’ve seen the app which is great to the tech part is sweet. I had a few issues with setup an was able to message the company who are based in Australia with the guy offering to drop off a new one if I didn’t get it sorted - customer service is great.

The  fan/adaptor “almost” fits. I had to go around once with electrical tape to ensure it was snug.

at this point I thought I was home as that was my main concern.

the temperature prongs for the food are curved ( see video below attached)  so you can get them through the hole that is provisioned by Dennis.

therefore the recommendation from smart fire is run the over the seal between the lid and base. @DennisLinkletter My main concern if whether this will damage the seal and will I turn have air loss when not using the smart fire.

i assume I’d be able to return tomorrow but thought I’d see what you all thought wet running cables over the seal.

5F5A74E5-20CA-40E3-8D9F-41A9A2CDE51F.jpeg

C2E3B0B7-759D-4396-9890-427CC7861AB0.jpeg

8F77198E-A828-4863-8F80-4700CBB558A5.jpeg

• Like 1

I ended up getting 2 ‘straight probes’ while running them in between the kid and the seal would work fine I would be fir ever annoyed seeing the the hole that Dennis provisioned not being used.

the smart fire works very well. I’ve noticed the smart fire when it blows above 80% up is pushing smoke out where there are gaps between stainless steel and the tiles, such as the tampers or the opening fit the gas - I figure because it’s blowing horizontal.

Definitely  Better to heat soak up close to temp before using  but otherwise great to be able to nip down to the pub and check up on how things are going 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jman said:

I’ve noticed the smart fire when it blows above 80% up is pushing smoke out where there are gaps between stainless steel and the tiles, such as the tampers or the opening fit the gas - I figure because it’s blowing horizontal.

You're pressurizing the inside of the KK (more air going in than can escape via the top vent), so the smoke is just finding another path to escape. You can either back off on the fan or you can bump the top vent open a tad. If you try the latter, watch your temperatures to make sure that you didn't overdo it. 

• Like 1