TPR

Drip pan conundrum

Thanks Dennis,

I tried placing it on the lower grill but then the handles clash and the main grill won't sit down.

I've also tried to place it right on top of the basket, but this seems the incorrect position too because then the lower grill sits on the handles of the drip pan and not the ceramic lip.

Is my drip pan too big or am I missing something? 

See attached images.

Thanks!MVIMG_20190516_160313.thumb.jpg.972ed9300c3b8092ec5e2d35a8bc9b1f.jpg

Tim

IMG_20190516_160341.jpg

IMG_20190516_160329.jpg

IMG_20190516_160107.jpg

IMG_20190516_160102.jpg

1 hour ago, TPR said:

I've also tried to place it right on top of the basket, but this seems the incorrect position too because then the lower grill sits on the handles of the drip pan and not the ceramic lip.

That is the correct position. Normally you wouldn't use the drip pan and the lower grate at the same time but if you did no worries that the lower grate doesn't sit down on the lip. 

6 minutes ago, ckreef said:

That is the correct position. Normally you wouldn't use the drip pan and the lower grate at the same time but if you did no worries that the lower grate doesn't sit down on the lip. 

Thanks for the tip ckreef!

I figured as much, but then Dennis said he puts his 'on the lower grill'. 

Putting it over the basket is just so close to the heat and I was worried about the drippings burning so I couldn't really make out the next logical place where it would fit 'on the lower grill' per Dennis and it won't fit on the main grill either, so that only left above the basket or I have too large a pan.

Appreciate the help.

There are actually 2 "drip pans." The one in your picture with the handles is for catching the drippings to do something with them, like roast veggies, or make gravy. The other drip pan is round, with no handles and looks more like a serving platter. In fact, some folks use them that way and don't want to "mess them up" because of how nice they look. Mine has been used on the grill for years now and looks like a well seasoned cast iron! 

1 hour ago, tony b said:

There are actually 2 "drip pans." The one in your picture with the handles is for catching the drippings to do something with them, like roast veggies, or make gravy. The other drip pan is round, with no handles and looks more like a serving platter. In fact, some folks use them that way and don't want to "mess them up" because of how nice they look. Mine has been used on the grill for years now and looks like a well seasoned cast iron! 

Hi Tony,

Yep, I use the round one mostly and mine too already looks well 'toasted' 😊. I bought the double bottom for catching those drippings but I just find it harder to use and place than the smaller round one, despite having a double bottom to prevent burning. 

I think the double bottom drip pan could be a bit smaller, less tall and designed with scalloped/indented edges where the handles are so that you could place it on or between grill levels without interference. I tried to use it recently for rotisserie turkey, but the basket cradle also interfered with the handles on the drip pan when it was sitting directly over the coal basket. 

Unfortunately I've found it not really useful for it's intended purpose, but am hoping people who have used it more can give me some guidance.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by TPR

What's really ironic is that I was one of the folks on this Forum to suggest to Dennis that this pan needed to be double-bottomed for making sauces out of the drippings, so that they didn't burn as easily. Yet, despite having owned one of the first production batches, I think that I've used it all of 1 time!  

• Like 1

That's a shame, that you haven't used it. My first thought was the extra layer would prevent warping being closer to the fire. I did use the original drip pan once but, found it turned, although it did come true again once it cooled. Have you thought of raising the Dpan a little higher? For me Toney I would look to find a use, maybe even wiring or hooking it just below the top grate. I always thought that was such a cool tool when I looked at it, sure it has a discovery.