tony b

Hi Tech Rainy Day Cook

Well, when it rains all day, you go to Plan B.

Lobster roll (butter poached lobster w/tarragon, thyme and Old Bay) and shrimp salad (butter poached shrimp with a mayo dressing of dill, chives, red onion, celery and Old Bay). Both seafoods were cooked sous vide. Paired with homemade potato chips cooked in the air fryer, with rosemary olive oil, Old Bay and flaked sea salt. So what pairs with that – Bubbly! Trader Joe’s bubbly is decent and it’s like $13!

165915196_lobstershrimpsaladroll.thumb.png.f3fd48371dbc5decdd86898164728312.png

Edited by tony b
  • Like 6

Thanks, All!

The chips were very good. Will do this again, even though it takes some effort. Russet potato sliced about 1/16" thick - cut with the mandolin. (You get a lot of chips from a single medium sized spud!) You need to soak the potato slices in water for 30 minutes and change out the water at least twice and "fluff" because they have a tendency to stick together. Blot them dry on paper towels. Then tossed in a bit of seasoned oil. Into the air fryer @ 330F for 30 minutes, shaking/stirring every 10 minutes to promote even browning. Then tossed again in the bowl with oil and seasoned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tony b said:

Thanks, All!

The chips were very good. Will do this again, even though it takes some effort. Russet potato sliced about 1/16" thick - cut with the mandolin. (You get a lot of chips from a single medium sized spud!) You need to soak the potato slices in water for 30 minutes and change out the water at least twice and "fluff" because they have a tendency to stick together. Blot them dry on paper towels. Then tossed in a bit of seasoned oil. Into the air fryer @ 330F for 30 minutes, shaking/stirring every 10 minutes to promote even browning. Then tossed again in the bowl with oil and seasoned.

Yup great looking chips. Mrs skreef does homemade chips deep fried all the time. The Australian Chippy salt is the bomb for seasoning them!!! I've been looking at a convection toaster oven that doubles as an air fryer. One of these days I'll pull the trigger. 

Lobster/shrimp roll.  Fantastic invention Tony.  No need to choose between your favourites.  I am surprised how good those "chips" look, coming from an air fryer.  The only reason I can resist is the fact that I prefer fries - which are what we call chips round here.  All good.  

We call those round this fried potatoes chips but we also call the long fried rectangular potato bars chips. It's all so confusing. I'd order fish and chips, but I'd order a hamburger and fries and expect to get the same fried potatoes that I get with the fish and chips. There never seems to be any confusion though. Go figure. :smt077  I can buy a bag of chips but I can't buy a bag of fries. LOL

• Haha 1

chips - crisps - fries - what a confusing vernacular! :smt043

Thanks for all the great compliments. I was a bit of a skeptic about the air fryer at first, but I've become a member of the "cult." It really does an amazing job. I have recent purchased a couple more books on them to expand my horizons beyond the obvious. Similar to the InstaPot, it's quite versatile once you get the gist of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tony b said:

I was a bit of a skeptic about the air fryer at first, but I've become a member of the "cult." It really does an amazing job. I have recent purchased a couple more books on them to expand my horizons beyond the obvious. Similar to the InstaPot, it's quite versatile once you get the gist of it.

Still resisting joining the air fryer cult.  Deep fried in fat still works for me with chips.  Not so bad because I am being pretty healthy with my donabe cooks.  Really loving the hot pots.  They help me get vegetables into my diet in a subtle and really tasty way.  

• Like 1