DennisLinkletter

National & Regional Cuisine

Tee hee.  Yes, the Southampton Costco does stock tomahawks and I was tempted to join and drive over to see if they have them on offer.  Then I remembered the amount of meat I already have, stockpiled in my freezer.  Decided against.  I just searched for grits on the Costco UK website and it came up with a big bag of horticultural grit so I might be out of luck there.  

@Tyrus turned me on to this really well written article about Nigerian food: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/dining/nigerian-food-yewande-komolafe.html  I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the recipes - there is never any set way to cook any of the dishes anyway - but the pictures certainly remind me of home.  

In other news, Texan friend has turned up with a box of grits.  They are 5 minute Quaker grits.  Are they "authentic"?  She says I will love them and that I am to add cream.  I will see what @tony b's recipe says.  I have told her I will return the rest to her if it turns out that I don't actually like grits.  Shrimp and grits, coming to a house near me soon.

• Like 4

:smt041

Glad you are going to tackle the shrimp & grits recipe. While those are better than the "instant" grits, which are horrid, these will do in a pinch, but they won't absorb as much half-n-half as regular grits (Quaker labels theirs "Old Fashioned" grits), because it's ground up finer to cook faster. Stir these constantly or they will lump up like wallpaper paste! Piece of trivia - the home of Quaker Oats is right here in Cedar Rapids. All of your QO oatmeal in the US comes from here, as does your Captain Crunch! You don't want to smell Crunchberries being made!! 

Can't wait to hear how they turn out!

• Like 2

Oh man, that's definitely going to be on the short list of foods to cook soon.  The wife and I both love shrimp and grits.  For some reason all the restaurants around here ruin the dish and make it into a pseudo casserole which ruins the shrimp.  I make up my grits separate, add a little cheese if you like, cream cheese even better.  But to me the key is how you make the sauce.  I start with some spicy ground sausage, render it down and remove to a side dish.  Quickly saute the shrimp in the sausage renderings and then move them off to the side with the sausage.  Using gravy flour, I make up a light roux and stir in heavy cream as it thickens.  The key ingredient is a few dashes of Tabasco sauce and then add the shrimp and sausage back just before serving.  Otherwise, overcooked shrimp are rubbery...blah.  Ladle over the hot grits and dig in.....Mmmm.  Only thing extra that makes this even better are either hush puppies or crispy fatback....both if your looking for that heart attack sooner rather than later.  🤣

Yup, that made up my mind just typing this.  Wife is gonna go nuts when she hears I'm going to make this soon.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:22 PM, tony b said:

So, here's my 1st contribution of my "home style" - South Carolina low country (aka Charleston) Shrimp & Grits. The recipe is one from a dear friend that I've known since high school, with some added notes by me.

Hey Tony, your post piqued my interest but I still haven't managed to make your recipe for shrimp and grits.  Next best thing is having my Texan friend make me some on her return from a cookery course in New Orleans.  She made the grits with stock and served with shrimp and sausage.  Her husband said it was the first time her grits didn't taste like wallpaper. I thought they were great.  I am now a convert to grits and will be trying your recipe.  Soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 8:39 AM, tekobo said:

I did buy some fancy pants stoneground grits when I was last in Texas.  Just have to get around to cooking them!

It has taken me a year to get around to it but I finally made shrimp and grits for the first time ever.  We enjoyed the dish even though I forgot to add the hot sauce recommended in Sean Brock's recipe.  Used Anson Mills grits as recommended by @tony b  Do again, for sure.  

IMG_8962.thumb.jpeg.96c6117f457c67faa0046b9d71d0fb51.jpeg

• Like 10

On 2/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, ckreef said:

Shrimp and Grits are like a blank canvas waiting for your interpretation. 

I am liking your tomatoey interpretation Charles.  I am also getting to understand that grits are like polenta.  I always dismissed polenta as tasteless pap but there is a lot more to making it and enjoying it than meets the eye.  More grits (and polenta) cooking to come.  

On 2/2/2020 at 8:07 PM, Pequod said:

Now that @tekobo has a grain mill, grind your own corn to whatever coarseness you need -- cornmeal, polenta, grits...all in reach here.

I succumbed to product placement by Sean Brock, broke and ordered a bunch of stuff from Anson Mills.  Once I am through this batch I will look into milling my own.  A new, mini, rabbit hole.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1