Alohapiggy

First slow cook

Did the venting yesterday 550 for about 5 hours. So today I thought I would give a low and slow cook a try. I had some beef ribs marinating in a store bought Korean bbq sauce for about 3 days. I just put them on the KK. Letting  them go for about 5 hours or so. I’ve been fighting the temp for about an hour trying to get to stay around 250 but it keeps creeping up to 325.  Oh well there’s always a learning curve.  

E3A6732C-BF60-400C-9635-C5211A9DF36F.jpeg

F36F6FD6-5C54-4662-B91A-7CFAFD40A303.jpeg

C8ECCEB5-70FD-4377-88A7-80C824FAB7A1.jpeg

Temperature control is all about airflow and is mostly dominated by the top vent opening. You will get comfortable with how much to open the top vent for a given temperature as you cook on it, as it is very repeatable. The bottom vents only need to be open as much to allow enough air in to support combustion, which usually isn't much. For your 250F target, the top vent should have been barely off the seat. Also, you don't need to light a bunch of charcoal for a low & slow either - a tennis ball sized fire is enough. Lastly, patience! There is a lot of material to warm up, so it's going to take some time. And "don't chase the temperatures!" If you overshoot your target temperature by a little (50F), don't sweat it and try to tweak the grill to an exact temperature, it's not that critical. Most folks get the hang of it after a couple of cooks. Hang in there!

• Like 1

Thanks, I normally can see how much the top vent is open. With the KK I can’t really tell how much it’s open. I’m afraid I’ll snuff the fire but I’m home all day I’ll just watch it. I took several days off of work to cook on my KK. This my get to know my grill time.  The toughest decision is its 930 am should I start drinking now?  Haha. 

If air is leaving the chimney the fire will not go out. Anytime you are too hot, close the damper top a bit. If it's heat soaked it takes a while to drop so always better to start slow and add airflow to get hotter.  Almost forget the lower settings, you can adjust a bit down there but for lower temps, it's all about the damper top.  930am in Hawaii is 5 pm somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

Hi, Dennis all I can say is WOW!!!! The grill is amazing. Every great thing said about the Komodo Kamado is so true.  I told my other half this was my last grill but something in me is saying maybe not.  

I take it this means the ribs came out ok? LOL! 

I did exactly the same thing with my first slow cook - futzed with the bottom vents but didn't think about using the damper as a primary means of controlling the temp.  You'll start to learn that a quarter turn of the top does x, a half turn does y, a full turn does z.  Next thing you know, you've got it dialed! [bad pun sort of intended]

Edited by El Pescador
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the grill and cook. On my 23 KK, 250° F is less than 1/8 turn of the top damper. I usually spin it closed after the grill is heat-soaked, then just barely back it off for 200°-225° F; slightly more for 250°F. Only the tiny hole or next to tiniest hole in the right lower dial with the left one closed. YMMV.