SSgt93

Ordered the SBB42

Mail call..... I wanted my first cook to be on the rotisserie. Now to make it happen between a baseball fueled weekend and before I leave Monday.

This must be a powerful little motor. Much more compact than I expected. I was expecting to see a Ferrari V12 powering it.

7f49ab0c6afc2b515536ec00d5cb2f73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tony b said:

Yeah, that motor is almost 2x as big as the one that most of us use! But, we don't have a rotisserie cradle that weighs 50+ pounds - unloaded, either!! 

Yea but we all wish we did have one that size B)

Even me, King of the small kamado ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/14/2019 at 9:39 PM, SSgt93 said:

You can always cook smaller on a bigger grill, however; you create more space on a smaller grill to cook bigger.

Yes I see this convincing argument throughout the site, however, by my calculations the 32" takes a little less than 25% more charcoal to heat sink the larger area  to the same temperature and hold it when compared to the 23". I reckon it'll be 1 in 100 cooks where the 23" may be too small.

Given this, there is a truckload of extra charcoal being burnt during 99 cooks, and for the 1 in 100 where I need more space, I'll just have to get organised with my other toys.

If I was planning a commercial operation, there is no doubt that 42" looks good for the job.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Basher said:

Given this, there is a truckload of extra charcoal being burnt during 99 cooks, and for the 1 in 100 where I need more space, I'll just have to get organised with my other toys.

steak.thumb.jpg.89099f05e3a118b1be38225b07faf32d.jpg

I'm all there on this argument. I'm thrilled with my 23" Ultimate. As I said on another thread, I wouldn't swap up if I inherited another comma.

Nevertheless, one can practice charcoal conservation with any KK. A tight seal is critical; if your fire doesn't go out right away on an older KK, then a seal replacement is mandatory. I start by lighting (propane burner then leaf blower) the old charcoal again for my next cook, then add fresh charcoal as needed.

The official KK basket splitter pays for itself quickly if one has a taste for good charcoal.

23 Ultimate Charcoal Basket Splitter

The idea of the basket splitter is to channel the entire airflow through half as much charcoal. This matters if one cares about efficiency reaching an oven temperature. I tend to grill fish, or sous vide meat then sear briefly, where only the radiant heat of the fire matters. For that, I love using this charcoal basket:

Broil King KA5565 Keg Caddie Charcoal Basket

It holds less charcoal than my 23" Ultimate basket splitter, closer to my lower grate.

In summary, one can conserve charcoal while using a larger KK. I conserve charcoal while using a smaller KK, and I'm very happy.

• Like 1

So I can’t post videos directly on here huh? That’s a bit of a bummer. I made a comparable video to the hotdog pic on the other 42 that’s on Instagram. Maybe I can link that below. EDIT: Looks like it worked.

http://

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ok, ok. For the first cook ever on the 42” Komodo Kamado I decided to make some baby back ribs as I was craving them. I seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog & Honey Hog Hot, then slathered them with AlbuKirky Duke City Sweet sauce. Let me tell you what; finger licking good!

53a0d320c0a6f32a6a687bb53586c7a7.jpg

• Like 9

@SSgt93, are you located in Shampoo-Banana? Saw your instagram post with a ball cap indicating as such. If so, I spent 10 years of my life there getting eddiekated (didn’t take, it seems). If not, still spent 10 years of my life there getting eddiekated.

Many fond memories of my time there. Here I am at Monticello airport. I sure hope it still looks like that.

1A33972E-3235-4F85-BACE-0F149676D4DF.thumb.jpeg.fd58855e35c9fa5643046df1fa313d62.jpeg

• Like 2

[mention=3374]SSgt93[/mention], are you located in Shampoo-Banana? Saw your instagram post with a ball cap indicating as such. If so, I spent 10 years of my life there getting eddiekated (didn’t take, it seems). If not, still spent 10 years of my life there getting eddiekated.
Many fond memories of my time there. Here I am at Monticello airport. I sure hope it still looks like that.
1A33972E-3235-4F85-BACE-0F149676D4DF.thumb.jpeg.fd58855e35c9fa5643046df1fa313d62.jpeg

I’m in the area and have been trying to leave here for a quarter of a century lol. Hopefully soon but every time I say that I am pretty sure it adds 5 more years.

• Like 2