dr2b0804

Any ideas on safely installing our new 19”TT???!!

We finally got our amazing bronze 19”TT. We are so amazed by the quality.  Everyone says it but you have to experience it to fully understand.  Now we are planning on installing (lifting and setting in) our KK into its designated custom spot.  We would be so grateful for any ideas that we can share with our terrified contractor.  Here are the pics which I think explain the situation. Thank you for any ideas in advance. 

613A80CB-8D24-408D-99C6-D0B0A7041113.jpeg

9C17913F-5BB6-47CC-9BAC-CDFA83D95923.png

D8537322-CE14-4770-9FBD-A0E38039B863.png

B8C8DA22-C68E-45D8-A6E6-4E2E0084C3CC.png

Definitely take the lid off the cooker regardless of approach.

I do not see you snaking it into the vertical contoured hole.

Option 1: Deconstruct the contoured counter top so you can slide it into place through the front.

Option 2: take just the counter top off, leaving the kick edge just below the counter top and lower it down through the wider opening from the top.

Or, use a freshly sharpened pencil to draw it into place :idea:

Just this past weekend me and my son lifted my 19" TT off it's stand, put casters on the bottom of the stand, then lifted back on the stand. You could say I'm intimately familiar with how heavy they are. Granted my stand didn't have a cutout but I think you could get it in the cutout if done right. 

Definitely take the dome off. I have a post on here detailing how I took the dome off my 16". Procedure on a 19" is exactly the same. If you have the right size socket wrench it only takes 5 minutes to get it off. Have a couple of 2x4's you can set the dome on without crushing your fingers. When setting the dome down and picking it back up you need to go straight down and straight back up so you don't mess up any edge tiles. 

Do you have handles that install where the side tables would get mounted? (mine came with removable handles) I don't think you could lift it in there by the handles but they would help. 

I would run two straps under the 19" going from front to back. The straps should have loops at both ends and should be about 6-8" taller than the 19 " without the dome. Run two 2x4's through the loops of the straps. With 4 people (1 person on each end of each 2x4) you should easily be able to pick it up as high as needed then have a 5th person guide it into the hole. The hard part of this would be getting the straps under the 19" and removing the straps once in place. Handles would make installing and removing the straps much easier (assuming the handles would be above the height of the hole). 

Once in place and good to go reinstall the dome. 

This is basically the same procedure used to lift up and move larger free standing KK's. 

Thank you so much for your replies!  Sounds like you (ckreef) are indeed intimately familiar with the weight.  I know how taking the top off significantly reduces the weight but my husband and contractor are worried that they won’t have enough space between the KK and the backsplash once the base of the KK is in to maneuver to replace the spring/dome. I’m going to try to get a better idea tonight if I think that may indeed be an issue.  The engine hoist idea was mentioned today by our contractor which we’ll look further into. Mainly I’m having trouble figuring out logistically where the 4 people would need to move in order to lower it in...

35 minutes ago, dr2b0804 said:

Thank you so much for your replies!  Sounds like you (ckreef) are indeed intimately familiar with the weight.  I know how taking the top off significantly reduces the weight but my husband and contractor are worried that they won’t have enough space between the KK and the backsplash once the base of the KK is in to maneuver to replace the spring/dome. I’m going to try to get a better idea tonight if I think that may indeed be an issue.  The engine hoist idea was mentioned today by our contractor which we’ll look further into. Mainly I’m having trouble figuring out logistically where the 4 people would need to move in order to lower it in...

The reality is eventually you'll have to readjust the spring.(thats a given) Taking the spring cover off will not be a problem. Getting to the lower spring bolt is the issue. Not sure what your stands back behind the 19" down towards the bottom is but you might need to put an access hole in that back so you can get to the spring bolt in the future. (which of course let's you get to the spring bolt during installation)

You could run the 2x4's from left to right. The 4 people would then stand on the 2 ends of your counter. The 2x4's could be 12' or 16' long, whatever it takes to span the length of the entire counter. With the dome off two extra long 2x4's will easily support the weight. 

Just curious - do you live 250 miles from Macon GA or down in FL?

Nope neither.  I live in Reno. 😄

Good point on having access to the lower spring bolt.  I’ll bring that up to the contractor.  I guess you can’t see in the pics but there is no other end to the counter...it’s a big L with the KK at one end.  Anyway...I get the idea.  I’m just afraid of one of the straps slipping.  I’m wondering about doing one perpendicular to the other so a cross is formed...seems like the KK with the legs are so much easier to manage because of the legs....and I don’t have handles...

After about 6 months the spring will naturally loosen up and need to be adjusted so you definitely need to take that into consideration. 

You could install small pieces of rope from one strap to the next to keep them from slipping. I would probably do that even if the straps were perpendicular. Dennis actually has a special strap arrangement just for this. 

The handles only make it really easy to install and more importantly remove the straps once in place. If you want you can borrow my handles until you get it installed. PM me your address and I'll priority mail the handles out to you. No biggie I'll eventually need them again but for now they're sitting in a spare parts box. (I don't leave them installed so it would be harder to steal the KK if I was out of town) 

Ok. So I’ll definitely make sure I have access to the spring and both screws.  Wow.  That would be so helpful to have the handles...although the go date for installation is Tues....clearly they somehow go into the slits in the metal on the sides where the side tables would otherwise be installed correct?  Maybe I can change the installation date...I’ll powwow with my husband.  

They install with the 2 top Allen bolts on each side of the 19" where the side tables install. The bottom Allen bolt on the right side is there for the rotisserie setup. 

I could get them to the post office tomorrow as long as I know before 9 am EST (about when I'm going to town in the morning) I could ship them priority if you push back the installation by a couple of days. Or I could probably go next day air which would arrive sometime Tuesday but would cost a bit I'm sure. 

I talked to my husband and our install date is set.  We really appreciate the offer so much for the handles but are going to try without them.  Your point about having access to be able to adjust the spring was huge and would have not been thought about until after it was installed...which could have been a huge problem.  We are figuring out how to gain access to the lower screw....thank you for helping us realize how important that was.  Now we have a couple of days to Mcgyver it. 😄. Thank you again for you thoughts, suggestions, and offer of the handles.  I’ll keep you posted on how it goes.  Hope I’ll be home to watch.  I’m sure it’ll be a nail biter. 😱

• Like 1

Good luck with the install. In the end it's probably not going to be as hard as you think to get it installed. You have a really gorgeous stand, can't wait to see pictures of it sitting down in there. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

One last piece of advice - do NOT pick it up by the dome handle. If you do you'll bend your latch plates. If you bend the top latch plate you'll have to cut it off and Dennis would have to make you a custom plate. I know this because a customer did just that and Dennis shipped me that KK to fix. 

P. S. Try and be home with camera in hand. I really want to see pictures of this adventure. 

Edited by ckreef

11 hours ago, SSgt93 said:

What a gorgeous outdoor space!

I would think some sort of a fork lift with an XL pot-lifter type attachment would work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting enough I was at a Home Depot today that rents tools. They had a small tow behind bucket lift. That would be way more than capable to lift it and maneuver it in place even with the dome attached. $195 rental for 4 hours. As long as the rental place was reasonably close you'd easily have that accomplished in less than 4 hours. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1