J-man4

KK vs stickburner

I’ve been reading about KK’s for years and am getting serious about buying one. They seem to be able do everything I am Interested in doing - grilling, smoking, bread baking.  The one question I have is how the taste of meat cooked low and slow on the KK compares to that cooked on a stickburner. I have used a Klose mobile with a 30” firebox for years and love the meat it produces.  I ask because I would consider buying a larger KK and making it my sole cooker if low and slow compares to a stickburner. I am able to use full size logs on my offset and don’t use charcoal except to start the fire sometimes. Has anyone made the switch?  I suppose I can buy a 42 SBB and trade down to a smaller stickburner. Lol

Any thoughts are much appreciated. 

I think @Tyrus has both and is best suited to comment.

I don’t have a stickburner, but will likely buy a small one someday (maybe a Lang 36 or 48). My personal opinion — and it is only that — is that it is hard to beat a stick burner for flavor on brisket, but a KK is oh so much more convenient and gets you 80% of the way there.

I had a Klose backyard chef (BYC) and moved to a RJ Kamado #7 and lucked into a gently used 23 KK that I picked up today!

So I can’t speak for the KK yet, but on the #7 I’ve turned out better brisket than I did on the backyard chef, main difference I’ve found is the crust on the backyard chef was more pronounced but I prefer less of a crust, the K7 makes moister briskets. The smoke ring that I’m achieving with the K7 is comparable to the BYC, but on the #7 I get the temp dialed in load the brisket/pork butt and go to bed. Regardless of mid summer heat, mid winter cold, rain, sleet, snow, full midday sun, howling wind (all affected the BYC), once the K7 is dialed in, no need to tweak or adjust the settings.

I’ve had zero desire to go back to a Klose or other style of stick burner, pellet etc.

Really the versatility of the KK allows me to do so much more than the BYC, I’ve never looked back.

i saw my first KK today and everything you read on this site about over engineered, beautiful, heavy duty etc. are all true. 

If you have one close to you, go see it and talk with the owner to get the details. Or call Dennis, he will answer all your questions.

regards

Edited by bgrant3406

7 minutes ago, J-man4 said:

Thanks Bgrant and Pequod. I am really I interested in the versatility of the KK.  I have always loved running the fire on my offset, but staying up all night doesn’t hold the appeal it did 15 years ago.  

You got it right. Kamado cooking, and Komodo Kamado cooking in particular, is all about versatility without sacrificing much (if anything) on quality. You can probably make a better pizza in a Wood Fired Oven, and a better brisket in a stick burner, and better bread in a bakery steam oven, but you'll not find a cooker better than a KK for doing ALL of that with quality within an inch or two of the specialized cookers. 

• Like 2

Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation but, I have been laying a floor down in the stick burner house/pavilion for the past few days. Keeps the rain off my head, and the rain off the Lang 48 when doing a cook, and you know how that can be.  Staying up all night is not a consideration for me anymore either, never was really, however, a long cook during the day or getting up early to do so ain't so bad. If I'm doing a brisket on the Lang I can get the time down to 7-8 hours, a 14-15 lb brisket running around 275 with a nice clean smoke, 2sticks/45min starting with a small charcoal base.  Easy to clean later, steam cleans itself as you hose it down and you brush it to knock off any remainder, then it empties out the drain valve into a bucket. I like it,.... like it now more than ever with a floor and a roof over my head. Having a stick burner is a plus, having a 23 KK is a convenience. Now, I don't have the Guru set up because when cooking I'm generally around the yard. If I leave for 2-3 hrs and the KK is purring along I don't feel the need to hurry back, that's how well it's engineered and when I return it's generally where I left it. I like a little work with a stick burner, you feel like your doing something, it's primal and part of the big plan. And on the opposite side of the coin is the relax side and here the KK shines. The people here LOVE their KK's and especially all the add ons they buy and research that make it hands free to run,.. almost.  If you haven't noticed, cooking is just about a science here. It's a cooking tool of the 21st century, you won't regret making the choice because you'll know exactly what I mean when you see it as you open the crate. As long as you care for it, it will last longer than any ceramic cooker out there, and it looks so damn nice. I'd say it's like comparing a newer Porche to 68 GTO, the Porche is hands down the better car but, something about that Goat wants you to come back and give it one more ride. Were all moving forward, keep them both, you won't be looking back.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation but, I have been laying a floor down in the stick burner house/pavilion for the past few days. Keeps the rain off my head, and the rain off the Lang 48 when doing a cook, and you know how that can be.  Staying up all night is not a consideration for me anymore either, never was really, however, a long cook during the day or getting up early to do so ain't so bad. If I'm doing a brisket on the Lang I can get the time down to 7-8 hours, a 14-15 lb brisket running around 275 with a nice clean smoke, 2sticks/45min starting with a small charcoal base.  Easy to clean later, steam cleans itself as you hose it down and you brush it to knock off any remainder, then it empties out the drain valve into a bucket. I like it,.... like it now more than ever with a floor and a roof over my head. Having a stick burner is a plus, having a 23 KK is a convenience. Now, I don't have the Guru set up because when cooking I'm generally around the yard. If I leave for 2-3 hrs and the KK is purring along I don't feel the need to hurry back, that's how well it's engineered and when I return it's generally where I left it. I like a little work with a stick burner, you feel like your doing something, it's primal and part of the big plan. And on the opposite side of the coin is the relax side and here the KK shines. The people here LOVE their KK's and especially all the add ons they buy and research that make it hands free to run,.. almost.  If you haven't noticed, cooking is just about a science here. It's a cooking tool of the 21st century, you won't regret making the choice because you'll know exactly what I mean when you see it as you open the crate. As long as you care for it, it will last longer than any ceramic cooker out there, and it looks so damn nice. I'd say it's like comparing a newer Porche to 68 GTO, the Porche is hands down the better car but, something about that Goat wants you to come back and give it one more ride. Were all moving forward, keep them both, you won't be looking back.

nice stuff!