Longhorn203

New Outdoor Kitchen

Just joined this forum as I'm pretty sold on upgrading my kamado to a 23" Ultimate or the 22 TT.

I've had both a trad gas grill and a BGE for quite a while, and appreciate what each can bring to the table. With the new outdoor kitchen I'm planning to have both as well. It looks like the Alfresco 42 LXE and the KK are the winners.

One question. I can either go with the 23 Ultimate (on wheels) or the 22 TT (placed in an inset). I'm leaning to the 23 has it looks easier to maneuver, I can simply put it at the end of the counter/cabinet area, and has a gas starter available. The 22 might offer a little better look aesthetically in an inset area. Any thoughts/advice?

Really up to you as to which look you prefer. 

One bit of advice: Don't bother with the gas burner. It is intended to pre-heat the inside on a cold winter day. Almost nobody buys one. I think Dennis has even stopped building grills with the gas burner door unless specifically requested. 

• Like 1

I think you should go with what you think will look best.  Another consideration is whether you expect to move house.  It may be easier to take your KK with you if it is not built into your ODK.  Either way, have fun choosing and make sure you have room for a second when you realise how much you love cooking on the KK.  ;-)

• Haha 1

Wheels are the best consideration as Tekebo made mention of for future, and present considerations for ease  of movement . Anything on wheels is the way to go especially with a removable top to make the transition easier.  It is easier to roll into a designated area as opposed to lifting into an area that wasn't planned.  What's your plan, the look of a built in is the flat bottom KK and is generally  shelved, that leaves you with dimensions you have to account for or, otherwise choose the wheels.  If I were to choose to move my 23 to the another location well, I'm on wheels and ready to go, done.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pequod said:

Really up to you as to which look you prefer. 

One bit of advice: Don't bother with the gas burner. It is intended to pre-heat the inside on a cold winter day. Almost nobody buys one. I think Dennis has even stopped building grills with the gas burner door unless specifically requested. 

Thanks, particularly on the gas starter.

Edited by Longhorn203

16 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Wheels are the best consideration as Tekebo made mention of for future, and present considerations for ease  of movement . Anything on wheels is the way to go especially with a removable top to make the transition easier.  It is easier to roll into a designated area as opposed to lifting into an area that wasn't planned.  What's your plan, the look of a built in is the flat bottom KK and is generally  shelved, that leaves you with dimensions you have to account for or, otherwise choose the wheels.  If I were to choose to move my 23 to the another location well, I'm on wheels and ready to go, done.

Thanks, my original thought was to place the 22 on a lower elevation next to my conventional grill. Now I'm leaning to shortening the length of my kitchen counter, leaving an open space to park the 23.