PVPAUL

Smoking options

Hello All, being a newbie here I was hoping some of you more experienced KK users could post a “Pros & Cons” and / or “How to” for the various different types of wood forms  such as pellets, chips, chunks as well as techniques, such as word forms placed directly into charcoal, smoking pot, KK hot/cold smoke generator etc for introducing smoke into my cooking.

For example I currently have an Amazin pellet tube smoker and quickly learned that it’s really not compatible with the KK due to the very low air flow. I’m looking for options and techniques that are proven and work right now without owning the KK smoke generator(but would also appreciate your opinion of the KK smoke generator). I may find that I will purchase one but would like to start experimenting without one for the near term future. 

All the best,

Paul

Simplest is wood chunks directly  on the coals. The problem with this approach is that the flame zone at low and slow temps can be very small in a  kamado as well insulated as a KK, and therefore it’s hard to get the chunks in the right place especially once you put the grates in place. Using the two-zone Configuration in my 32 alleviates that problem because I can keep half of the grill with the coals exposed and put my meat on the indirect side, thus allowing me direct access to the coals to put wood chunks on. 

Syzygies’ Smoking Pot has the added benefit of producing the highly desirable thin blue smoke. The smoke pot is somewhat limited in application to low and slow temps between 225 and 275. Sometimes I want smoke even with hot and fast cooks, and so wood chunks on the coals is the way to go. The smoke pot can be filled with whatever you like...chunks, chips, pellets. I’ve even done tea and spices for a tea smoked duck.

Second the Syz's smoker pot. I've had mine for years now and use it all the time on longer cooks, as it spreads out the smoke generation over hours, so you don't have to keep tossing in wood chunks. I use a combination of wood chunks and wood pellets in the smoker pot. Pellets catch quicker as give smoke fairly quickly and the chunks are the second wave and last longer. 

I do toss chunks on the coals for short cooks (under 2 hours) and just wait for the smoke to clear up before adding the food to the grill.

I also own the KK smoking attachment. I only use pellets in it, as wood chips don't stay lit very well and you have to keep tending it and restarting it - PITA. I typically only use it for cold smoking (salmon, cheese, nuts). I have used it for brisket cooks, as it can take a lot of smoke. 

I don't have a KK yet (saving up to get one with an upcoming yard reno) but I do have another super insulated kamado (Keg) which can create some issues getting enough combustion for good, continuous smoke.

I found the best results come from putting your wood chunks UNDER the lump charcoal for each cook.  I suspect this somewhat emulates what many have found from using the smoke pot method as well.  I also cook at slightly hotter temps as well than often would be typical.

It does take some effort for each cook to place new clean wood chunks underneath (a bit of coal reorganization) but I have been very happy with the results after trying many different options and techniques.

• Like 2

Wood chunks mixed in with the charcoal, put some on the bottom, then charcoal, some more in the middle, them more charcoal, then some to top it off.  This has worked really well for me on cooks form 6 hours to 18 hours.  Gotten a good bark on the meat, and good smoke ring penetration with great flavor

Enjoy

Edited by Oldsman

Whatever technique you find that works for you is great. But, I'd like to point out that using the smoker pot is not the same as burying wood chunks in the charcoal pile. The idea behind the smoker pot is to limit the amount of air (oxygen) that gets to the wood to cause it to smolder and not actually burn. This produces a cleaner smoke, plus the benefit of putting the small holes in the bottom of the pot forces the escaping gasses back into the fire to burn off any unwanted volatiles. Depending on your burn pattern in the charcoal, which is totally random, you may or may not get similar results.  The smoker pot is very consistent in its results. 

Syz, I like your smoking options......however I decided to order the 2qt CI Dutch over with lid today from Amazon @ $22 delivered. Should arrive early next week. Now I’ll just need to go to the hardware store and pick up a drill bit that will cut through this.

Thanks to all for your help on this!

8 minutes ago, tony b said:

You'll find that cast iron is actually soft and doesn't need a specialty bit to drill through it. And yes, fewer/smaller is better. I'd recommend 3 holes of 3/32" diameter, go no larger than 1/8". 

How to Drill Into Cast Iron

The main point is to be patient, let the bit do its work. I use cutting oil or any handy lubricant e.g. soap.

Drilling the first smoke pot (still in use), my thinking was the fewest, smallest holes that would keep the lid from blowing off. The smoke pot was inspired by how one makes charcoal: Seal a container with holes underneath, start a fire underneath, and soon gases will flow from the container and burn, sustaining the fire needed to complete the conversion to charcoal. One doesn't get any nasty byproducts from the wood burning completely. This is selecting the best components of more wood than one would ever use loose in a fire. Think armagnac versus moonshine. The easiest way to be a good cook that doesn't require talent is to practice selective yields.

I've never liked the results over 300 F; at higher temperatures considerable pressure can build. I remember various experiments that made flames the size of the smoke pot itself, shooting out the bottom holes. Were this to instead blow off the lid, causing two quarts of chips to catch fire, dinner would be ruined.

I chose 1/8" thinking that going much smaller would create undo pressure; I'm sure 3/32" is also fine. I could picture an unlucky chunk blocking a single hole, again causing the lid to blow; three holes is insurance. Too many holes risks a fire inside the pot, defeating the idea.

I usually get the smoke pot hot enough while lighting the fire, by using a propane weed burner aimed under the pot. However, sometimes for a winter low & slow I'll start the KK well in advance of adding the meat. In this case I'll heat up the smoke pot over a small side fire, to add with the meat. This is obviously working far too hard, but if 80 people are expecting pork butt I want to get it right.

One could probably / most days get away without the flour paste to seal the lid. However, fires shift, charcoal collapses as it burns. Again, if the lid bounces free and two quarts of smoking chips catch fire, the cook is ruined.

I don't mind the flour paste bit. I mix up flour and water in a little baggie, nick the corner to make a dispenser, and apply to the lid like squeezing toothpaste, with paper towels handy for cleanup. There's a romance here: In Morocco, where pots rarely fit well together in days of lore, one would use flour paste and towels to secure a good fit for making couscous. At some point in the past, I decided that "fearing complexity" was holding back my cooking. If one could measure manual dexterity output, most of us do less in a day than a concert pianist in ten minutes of practice. I find that downright embarrassing, an outcome I refuse to accept, so I go out of my way to find opportunities to keep my hands moving. The flour paste bit isn't that bad.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Syzygies said:

I don't mind the flour paste bit. I mix up flour and water in a little baggie, nick the corner to make a dispenser, and apply to the lid like squeezing toothpaste, with paper towels handy for cleanup. There's a romance here: In Morocco, where pots rarely fit well together in days of lore, one would use flour paste and towels to secure a good fit for making couscous. At some point in the past, I decided that "fearing complexity" was holding back my cooking. If one could measure manual dexterity output, most of us do less in a day than a concert pianist in ten minutes of practice. I find that downright embarrassing, an outcome I refuse to accept, so I go out of my way to find opportunities to keep my hands moving. The flour paste bit isn't that bad.

Second, Syz on the flour/paste mix in a baggie (i.e., poor man's pastry bag). It takes a little practice to get the consistency right - just enough water to wet the flour without making it runny like pancake batter and mix it thoroughly in the bag so you don't have dry pockets of flour. Your target is PlayDoh (for folks that remember it as kids!) Also, you're not decorating a cake here folks; so no extra points for artistic style - just pipe the dough onto the inside rim of the pot making sure not to leave any gaps. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:32 AM, Syzygies said:

I remember various experiments that made flames the size of the smoke pot itself, shooting out the bottom holes.

smokepotplume.thumb.jpg.625dea342d2b952046bf2ccc6592e244.jpg

Smoke pot plume in a (not recommended) off-brand K7, before I came to my senses and bought a 23" Ultimate KK. One only sees such a plume in too-hot conditions for reasonable smoking, but the experience is nevertheless amusing.

• Like 1

My latest brainstorm that keeps me from sleeping is to take the #1 - 3 liter cast iron potjie pot with legs and attach a 3/8" threaded stainless pipe
to the bottom which will go down and have a T bit pointed like an arrow with small holes drilled in it. This will nestle down into the burning charcoal
and ensure all vapor travels thru the hottest part of the burning charcoal and burn off any gas that might be released. 
This will also ensure that the pot does not smother your burn.  The lid would have a threaded shaft dead center with a butterfly bolt to tighten so it stays put.

Whatcha all think about my KK pot smoker on steroids?

image.png

• Like 2

I've seen the use of the bolt through the lid before. If you're willing to put that much work into it, especially cutting the handle off the lid to make room for the bolt and wing nut. Unless the legs have something sturdy to sit on and not just stick into the charcoal bed, what's to be gained? Will there be enough backdraft flow from your extended tube back into the pot to keep the wood smoldering? Worth a shot as an experiment. Let us know how it works out.

The legs will also let you set the entire unit on a flat surface with the extension sticking out the bottom. No backdraft is necessary.. Think of it as distructive distillation of the wood.
The vapor/gas comes out of the wood and builds pressure. My huge charcoal kiln had a 4" pipe and shot a 4' flame for hours while carbonizing a load.

Got it. Was thinking about inside the grill, not for sitting outside the grill with the pipe sticking out the bottom. I was wondering about the actual chemical process inside the pot, so no oxygen is needed to sustain the process? Interesting.