GeorgeFromOz

Pizza oven to accompany the KK

Thanks all for your help and insightful commentary. 

Have had the KK and Pizza oven installed for a couple of weeks and used both a handful of times each. Reading this thread, I am surprised to hear that some of guys think the Pizza oven is more of an weekender and the KK is the "everyday workhorse". My experience has been the opposite, and it makes me think that I am doing something terribly wrong. 

I found that it is taking around 3 hours for me to clean, light and pre-heat the kk. Perhaps I am being too fastidious with my cleaning... I suppose I want to keep it looking new. Pre-heating would take an hour minimum. 

The pre-heating process has been a tricky learning curve because I am finding really hard to know when to slow down the fire so the ceramic doesn't over heat and get too hot. On the last cook, the gauge got to 300f and I could not get it back down to 250f, the fire ended up going out cause I choked it too much.

Anyway, you're only as good as your last cook. So, this weekend I bought myself half a butchers shop so I'll keep you posted. 

I'll try and get some pics soon. It isn't quite finished and the weather isn't great here at the moment. Although, that's by Sydney's standards, shouldn't complain. 

P.S. Definitely not suggesting there is anything wrong with my KK, just that I am a complete grasshopper. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GeorgeFromOz said:

On the last cook, the gauge got to 300f and I could not get it back down to 250f, the fire ended up going out cause I choked it too much.

One of the first "rules" that we try to impart to newbies is - DON'T CHASE THE TEMPERATURE. Once heated, you are not going to easily bring the temperature back down if you overshoot and, as you learned, run the risk of putting out your fire. A good practice is to light the charcoal in just one tennis ball sized spot for low & slows, maybe 2 spots for higher temp cooks (over 400F). Open the top vent a full 2 turns and the bottom vent open enough for plenty of air. Once you see the dome temps start to get about 50F below your target temp, then close down the top vent to the corresponding position for your target and maybe slightly adjust the lower vent - but this isn't critical. Let the KK coast up to your target (don't sweat if you miss by a bit - again, repeat after me - DON'T CHASE THE TEMPERATURE!) You should now be ready to Rock-n-Roll.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1