dr2b0804

What can a 19”high cap TT hold?

Hi!  So, I have two questions regarding space...do you think I could cook two pork butts...one on the lower and one on the top rack simultaneously?  Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but the rib rack can only be used due to height issues on the lower grate, right?  If anyone who has a 19” high cap TT wants to post some pics of your cooks so I can get an idea of space management I’d appreciate them.  I searched the gallery forums but only found a couple 19”.  Thanks!  

16 hours ago, dr2b0804 said:

Hi!  So, I have two questions regarding space...do you think I could cook two pork butts...one on the lower and one on the top rack simultaneously?  Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but the rib rack can only be used due to height issues on the lower grate, right?  If anyone who has a 19” high cap TT wants to post some pics of your cooks so I can get an idea of space management I’d appreciate them.  I searched the gallery forums but only found a couple 19”.  Thanks!  

I have done 4 -  8# butts in my 19"TT twice.  Make sure you space the top butts like the picture below, so the temp stem doesn't hit the meat. 

A two butt cook is a piece of cake :smt023  

pork3.thumb.jpeg.bf501d5a557aa1fd3aa46b7963f3231c.jpegpork4.thumb.jpeg.59e0150e9f816329cb6d4f8883415c0f.jpeg

• Like 1

Jon B.  Thank you so much!   That’s exactly what I needed to see!!!  That looks awesome.  Must have feed a lot of hungry people. 😄 (Which is what I’ll be trying to do Sat.).  We never have more than a couple of people over but we are hosting a reception to a memorial service so expecting 30-40 people!  (Also going to grill some burgers/hot dogs on regular grill).  Thank you! 

Very welcome.   I thought I was going to have a problem with all the drippings, however the drip pan was so close to the coals (sitting on the  top of the lump basket) that the drippings vaporized and became solid.  It was a little hard to clean but nothing dripped onto the lump.  

29 minutes ago, dr2b0804 said:

Well I will either be doing 3 butts (2 on the bottom one on top and a rack of baby back) or 2 on the bottom and as many baby back racks as I can fit.  How many racks do you think would fit on top? 3?   Thank you again!  

At the risk of getting kicked off this forum....................I have to admit..............I have never cooked a rack of ribs on my KK's.  :shock:

(Redhead Sue is a flanken rib fan)

Edited by Jon B.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

So 12 hours is my thought...doing 3 pork butts?  My other question is...how long can you keep a pork butt that’s done and wrapped...?   Wondering about trying to do pork butts, wrap them, then throwing the baby backs on...but that’s a 3 hr lag between pork butt being done and ribs...or am I crazy and biting off more than I can chew?  

Edited by dr2b0804

With that much meat, I'd allow extra time (a couple of hours) and if they hit target IT early - like ckreef said, just wrap them in foil, a bath towel and into an insulated cooler and they'll hold for hours - easily 4. 

Jon & Bruce - :eek: never cooked a rack of ribs :smt018, bad grill owners, bad, bad, bad! A time out for you both! 

• Haha 3

As I was peekin through the cracks I thought I'd pass along this thought. A lower temp will obviously add time on the grill, moving the temp higher will close that window considerably. If your cook goes for an extended period as Tucker mentioned the meat has rendered it's fat and 195-200 is ok.  If I were cooking, a temp from 250 or even to 275 is in range for pork butt. Internal temp if you overshoot to 205 is not a worrying occasion. Just remember they still continue to cook in the cooler when wrapped, having 3 project that accordingly. It's all good in the neighborhood